What's new

MGM's Westerns on DVDs (1 Viewer)

Doug Abbott

Agent
For 5 years now quite a few western movie lovers have been waiting for MGM to release James Garner's best western "Hour of THe Gun" on DVD. There's list of westerns being released later the year, but mostly junk - "Guns of THe Magnificent Seven & Magnificent Seven Ride" These films were junk when they were originally released (George Kennedy & Lee Van Cleff are terrible in the films) and have nothing in common, minus the name, with the 2 original Seven movies with Yul Bryner.
Same thing last year a bunch of crap from MGM except for "Duel At Diablo". They have some great Westerns like "Hour of The Gun" with James Garner & Jason Robards, "Gun Glory" with Stewart Granger and Rhonda Fleming and "Ride The High Country" with Randolph Scott & Joel McCrea that would make great western DVD releases. We'd buy them even if they were bare bone releases. They would be far superior to any of the western titles they have planned.
These films are shown on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) a couple of times a year because people love them and it's about time that they were on DVD.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yes as Robert said Warner holds the rights to Ride the High Country. Not to mention the other great Peckinpah Westerns Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid & The Ballad of Cable Hogue along with the best of the Stewart/Mann films Naked Spur. All of which are conspicuously missing on DVD.

Getting back to MGM I agree their upcoming Western titles are a bit lackluster. Though they are putting out a dandy SE of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly so it's not a complete waste.

In addition to the titles you mentioned MGM also holds the rights to the Sergio Leone classic Duck, You Sucker which is rumored to have been restored with a longer cut & will make a theatrical run this year ala what they did with GBU last year. Another great Western title MGM is just sitting on is the Anthony Mann Classic, Man of the West.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that all the titles you mentioned should be released I have always enjoyed all the Magnificent Seven movies. I am excited about Magnificent Seven Ride because it has never been released before on any format and it and Guns have never had a widescreen release before.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I would also like to see MGM release the SABATA films and Sergio Carbucci's NAVAJO JOE. MGM is also releasing the Mick Jagger/Tony Richardson western NED KELLY in April. It will be OAR and 16:9.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Well, I'm at least pleased a widescreen release of A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE is part of the upcoming batch of MGM westerns. Apart from that, I'd prefer these westerns from MGM in the future, all in OAR:

MAN OF THE WEST (1958)
DAY OF THE OUTLAW (1959)
THE HILLS RUN RED (1966)
NAVAJO JOE (1966)
THE SCALPHUNTERS (1968)
THE MERCENARY (1968)
DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1969)*
SABATA (1969)
ADIOS SABATA (1970)
RETURN OF SABATA (1971)
A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE (1971)

* Note: DEATH RIDES A HORSE has been available from several budget DVD labels, but unfortunately in hideous Pan & Scan transfers. MGM could give us a nice widescreen edition (as has been aired on Turner Classic Movies), since they haven't had a problem putting out superior DVD editions of other "public domain" staples like HE WALKED BY NIGHT and I BURY THE LIVING.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Since we're talking westerns, I would love to see Columbia & Warner release all of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns on DVD:

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
Westbound
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
Tall T, The
Seven Men from Now

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Yes, here's another vote for the Boetticher/Scott westerns.

If Columbia is dead-set against a release, perhaps they
could be licensed. I'll bet a company like Roan
(particularly in Roan's heyday) would love to
release these classic westerns.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Speaking some more of westerns, Universal is releasing the following westerns on June 1st for $14.95:

THE SPOILERS
WAR ARROW
NO NAME ON THE BULLET
ALBUQUERQUE
WHISPERING SMITH
THE PLAINSMAN
WHEN THE DALTONS RODE

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jay,
What's your source of those releases? It looks like Universal is releasing some of Paramount's titles such as Whispering Smith and The Plainsman.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Robert

Universal owns most of the Paramount films made before 1950.
They are all up for pre-order at DeepDiscountDVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I know which is why I mentioned that Universal is releasing some of those Paramount titles.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, after checking DVD Planet, I'm a very happy camper about the 1936 version of "The Plainsman" that originally was a Paramount title that starred Gary Cooper as Wild Bill Hickok and Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane. Also, the 1942 version of "The Spoilers" which is was a Universal title starring John Wayne, Marlena Dietrich and Randolph Scott and then "Whispering Smith" another Paramount title starring Alan Ladd and Robert Preston.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks