Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM's Westerns on DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug Abbott

Doug Abbott

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:59 PM

For 5 years now quite a few western movie lovers have been waiting for MGM to release James Garner's best western "Hour of THe Gun" on DVD. There's list of westerns being released later the year, but mostly junk - "Guns of THe Magnificent Seven & Magnificent Seven Ride" These films were junk when they were originally released (George Kennedy & Lee Van Cleff are terrible in the films) and have nothing in common, minus the name, with the 2 original Seven movies with Yul Bryner.
Same thing last year a bunch of crap from MGM except for "Duel At Diablo". They have some great Westerns like "Hour of The Gun" with James Garner & Jason Robards, "Gun Glory" with Stewart Granger and Rhonda Fleming and "Ride The High Country" with Randolph Scott & Joel McCrea that would make great western DVD releases. We'd buy them even if they were bare bone releases. They would be far superior to any of the western titles they have planned.
These films are shown on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) a couple of times a year because people love them and it's about time that they were on DVD.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 02 2004 - 09:25 PM

I think "Ride the High Country" belongs to Warner now.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 11:53 PM

Yes as Robert said Warner holds the rights to Ride the High Country. Not to mention the other great Peckinpah Westerns Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid & The Ballad of Cable Hogue along with the best of the Stewart/Mann films Naked Spur. All of which are conspicuously missing on DVD.

Getting back to MGM I agree their upcoming Western titles are a bit lackluster. Though they are putting out a dandy SE of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly so it's not a complete waste.

In addition to the titles you mentioned MGM also holds the rights to the Sergio Leone classic Duck, You Sucker which is rumored to have been restored with a longer cut & will make a theatrical run this year ala what they did with GBU last year. Another great Western title MGM is just sitting on is the Anthony Mann Classic, Man of the West.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:15 AM

While I agree that all the titles you mentioned should be released I have always enjoyed all the Magnificent Seven movies. I am excited about Magnificent Seven Ride because it has never been released before on any format and it and Guns have never had a widescreen release before.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:36 AM

I would also like to see MGM release the SABATA films and Sergio Carbucci's NAVAJO JOE. MGM is also releasing the Mick Jagger/Tony Richardson western NED KELLY in April. It will be OAR and 16:9.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 03:31 AM

I second Pat Garrett, I want that on DVD.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,652 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 04:09 AM

Well, I'm at least pleased a widescreen release of A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE is part of the upcoming batch of MGM westerns. Apart from that, I'd prefer these westerns from MGM in the future, all in OAR:

MAN OF THE WEST (1958)
DAY OF THE OUTLAW (1959)
THE HILLS RUN RED (1966)
NAVAJO JOE (1966)
THE SCALPHUNTERS (1968)
THE MERCENARY (1968)
DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1969)*
SABATA (1969)
ADIOS SABATA (1970)
RETURN OF SABATA (1971)
A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE (1971)

* Note: DEATH RIDES A HORSE has been available from several budget DVD labels, but unfortunately in hideous Pan & Scan transfers. MGM could give us a nice widescreen edition (as has been aired on Turner Classic Movies), since they haven't had a problem putting out superior DVD editions of other "public domain" staples like HE WALKED BY NIGHT and I BURY THE LIVING.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 04:20 AM

Since we're talking westerns, I would love to see Columbia & Warner release all of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns on DVD:

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
Westbound
Buchanan Rides Alone
Decision at Sundown
Tall T, The
Seven Men from Now

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 07:03 AM

Yes, here's another vote for the Boetticher/Scott westerns.

If Columbia is dead-set against a release, perhaps they
could be licensed. I'll bet a company like Roan
(particularly in Roan's heyday) would love to
release these classic westerns.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:06 AM

Speaking some more of westerns, Universal is releasing the following westerns on June 1st for $14.95:

THE SPOILERS
WAR ARROW
NO NAME ON THE BULLET
ALBUQUERQUE
WHISPERING SMITH
THE PLAINSMAN
WHEN THE DALTONS RODE

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:09 AM

Jay,
What's your source of those releases? It looks like Universal is releasing some of Paramount's titles such as Whispering Smith and The Plainsman.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:27 AM

Robert

Universal owns most of the Paramount films made before 1950.
They are all up for pre-order at DeepDiscountDVD.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:33 AM

Universal owns most of the Paramount films made before 1950.

I know which is why I mentioned that Universal is releasing some of those Paramount titles.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:43 AM

Well, after checking DVD Planet, I'm a very happy camper about the 1936 version of "The Plainsman" that originally was a Paramount title that starred Gary Cooper as Wild Bill Hickok and Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane. Also, the 1942 version of "The Spoilers" which is was a Universal title starring John Wayne, Marlena Dietrich and Randolph Scott and then "Whispering Smith" another Paramount title starring Alan Ladd and Robert Preston.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,262 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:46 PM

SOLDIER BLUE (1970) , please.