What's new

Great Places to Eat in Chicago? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm headed to Chicago for the first time in my life next month, and I'm looking for some great places to eat. My highest priority is a fabulous steakhouse, but I'm also looking for americana, romantic dining places, pizzerias, Italian, and eclectic. What do you guys recommend? Should I make reservations now?

thanks!

Walt N

Second Unit
I was there staying downtown for the weekend recently and enjoyed some primo Northern Italian food at Becco D'Oro. Excellent all around and among the best of it's kind, if somewhat pricey. They had a sea scallop appetizer that blew our minds, and their risotto dishes are amazing.

The Chicago Chop House had great steaks and an interesting atmosphere, but we thought their side dishes weren't as exciting as the steaks. If it's mainly a great piece of meat you're after however, they're hard to beat.

Both places require reservations depending on the day of the week, so it wouldn't hurt to call ahead. Chicago Chop House has a website so you can check out their menu, and while Becco D'Oro doesn't, a Google search will pull up some reviews for you.

Happy eating. :)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
what's your price/age range ? I'm guessing you'll be w/ a significant other since you're asking about romantic spots ?

I've got TONS of suggestions but they depend on how much coin you're willing to put down. But, for steak, you can't beat Gibsons & for Chicago-style pizza, go to Uno or Due. Gibson's can run ya $60-$75 per person if you get a few drinks & wine. Pizza will be < $30 total.

You can probably wait a few weeks to make a res as you won't be there 'till March.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While Gibson's is "the" place people go for steaks, I think its overrated and it's usually extremely crowded. I'd recommend Sullivan's Steakhouse on Dearborn or Joe's Prime Steak and Seafood on Rush.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
For pizza, Giordano's is a good suggestion. I've heard good things about Eduardo's and Lou Malnati's as well.

Keep in mind that is the only thing I ate while I was up there so I can't be of too much help :frowning:

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Carson's, if you like ribs. I am having them shipped to me in California next week for my 30th birthday :D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Rudy - those pizzas to go look awesome (if somewhat pricey).

Are they worth it ????
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Pizza: Bacino's (multiple locations, including Wacker Drive) Their stuffed pizza is awesome
Steak: Chicago Chop House (River North, Ontario) Gibson's has larger portions, but this place has the best tasting steaks around.
Romantic: Nick's Fishmarket (Plaza level of Bank One building) Supposedly more marriage proposals are made here than any other restaurant in town
Italian: Spiaggia (North Michigan Avenue) Great views, sophisticated food and great big prices :)
Mexican: Link Removed (River North, on Clark Street) Rick Bayless is a maestro of Mexican fare
Wild Card: Weber Grill Restaurant (North State Street) For a chain restaurant, the food is outstanding quality. The steaks in particular taste fantastic.
If great views are your thing, Signature Room at the 95th fits the bill. Atop the John Hancock Center, the food is mediocre, but the stunning nighttime views easily make up for it (as long as the cloud layer isn't low!)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
A quick note about true deep dish pizzas... they are extremely filling. I can eat 50%+ of a large normal pizza (if I wanted to) but was completely stuffed after 2 slices of a medium Uno deep dish. You will not go hungry...

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
We have UNO is Ohio, and it's pretty good, but nothing to call home about...is it better in Chicago?

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez

I definitely thought they were. If you order the 4 pack, it averages out to about 15-16$ a pizza. Malnati's is a must stop for me anytime I'm in Chicago.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've always been told that Uno's in Chicago is the best of the bunch(uno's that is) but inferior to the others like Lou Malnatis, Giordano's and Eduardo's.

If you go an order Stuffed pizza(this is the thing to order), then order a small for 2 people, or a medium for 4 people. 2 pieces max for any person is a good guideline as you will probably not even eat 2 pieces.

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, don't forget to go to Portillos for a great hot dog. I know there are some great hot dog joints but I don't live in the city proper, so I dont know where they are! Yeah, I'm a suburbanite. Someone else can point the way.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Since price is no object ....

North Pond -- www.northpondrestaurant.com. American. One of my faves. VERY romantic. Overlooks scenic pond & nature museum and should be very nice in the early spring. Excellent seasonal menus. Bill w/ will be about $150.

Arun's -- one of the best Thai restaurants in the country. 11 course, prix fixe was $75/person last time I was there last year. Total tab for 3 people w/ tip+wine was about $500. A bit off the beaten path and expensive, but, you will never forget it.

Other high-brow places include Charlie Trotter's (ecletic American) & The Ritz Carlton Dining Room (French).

If you want to get into other neighborhoods, my 'hood has tons of good ones -- Fortunato (regional Italian), Cafe Absinthe (eclectic) & Meritage (regional, seafood).

For the real lowdown on pretty much any decent restaurant in Chicago, go to www.chireader.com or www.metromix.com.

Good luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks