Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Great Places to Eat in Chicago?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 12:19 PM

I'm headed to Chicago for the first time in my life next month, and I'm looking for some great places to eat. My highest priority is a fabulous steakhouse, but I'm also looking for americana, romantic dining places, pizzerias, Italian, and eclectic. What do you guys recommend? Should I make reservations now?

thanks!

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   RudyN

RudyN

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationMundelein, IL

Posted February 02 2004 - 02:36 PM

Lou Malnati's, some of the best deep dish pizza I have ever had. I've even ordered off their website at www.loutogo.com
My DVD Collection

Gold Trader +21 on the Good Trader List

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Walt N

Walt N

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 02:43 PM

I was there staying downtown for the weekend recently and enjoyed some primo Northern Italian food at Becco D'Oro. Excellent all around and among the best of it's kind, if somewhat pricey. They had a sea scallop appetizer that blew our minds, and their risotto dishes are amazing.

The Chicago Chop House had great steaks and an interesting atmosphere, but we thought their side dishes weren't as exciting as the steaks. If it's mainly a great piece of meat you're after however, they're hard to beat.

Both places require reservations depending on the day of the week, so it wouldn't hurt to call ahead. Chicago Chop House has a website so you can check out their menu, and while Becco D'Oro doesn't, a Google search will pull up some reviews for you.

Happy eating. Posted Image

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 02:50 PM

I had a great steak at Gibson's which is one Rush Street.

Todd

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 03:43 PM

what's your price/age range ? I'm guessing you'll be w/ a significant other since you're asking about romantic spots ?

I've got TONS of suggestions but they depend on how much coin you're willing to put down. But, for steak, you can't beat Gibsons & for Chicago-style pizza, go to Uno or Due. Gibson's can run ya $60-$75 per person if you get a few drinks & wine. Pizza will be < $30 total.

You can probably wait a few weeks to make a res as you won't be there 'till March.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 09:22 AM

Price does not matter...so Gibson's huh? any where else?

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 09:27 AM

While Gibson's is "the" place people go for steaks, I think its overrated and it's usually extremely crowded. I'd recommend Sullivan's Steakhouse on Dearborn or Joe's Prime Steak and Seafood on Rush.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 10:43 AM

For pizza, Giordano's is a good suggestion. I've heard good things about Eduardo's and Lou Malnati's as well.

Keep in mind that is the only thing I ate while I was up there so I can't be of too much help Posted Image

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Chris Moe

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 11:35 AM

Carson's, if you like ribs. I am having them shipped to me in California next week for my 30th birthday Posted Image

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 11:48 AM

Rudy - those pizzas to go look awesome (if somewhat pricey).

Are they worth it ???? Posted Image

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:09 PM

Pizza: Bacino's (multiple locations, including Wacker Drive) Their stuffed pizza is awesome
Steak: Chicago Chop House (River North, Ontario) Gibson's has larger portions, but this place has the best tasting steaks around.
Romantic: Nick's Fishmarket (Plaza level of Bank One building) Supposedly more marriage proposals are made here than any other restaurant in town
Italian: Spiaggia (North Michigan Avenue) Great views, sophisticated food and great big prices Posted Image
Mexican: Frontera Grill/Topolobampo (River North, on Clark Street) Rick Bayless is a maestro of Mexican fare
Wild Card: Weber Grill Restaurant (North State Street) For a chain restaurant, the food is outstanding quality. The steaks in particular taste fantastic.
If great views are your thing, Signature Room at the 95th fits the bill. Atop the John Hancock Center, the food is mediocre, but the stunning nighttime views easily make up for it (as long as the cloud layer isn't low!)

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted February 03 2004 - 12:19 PM

A quick note about true deep dish pizzas... they are extremely filling. I can eat 50%+ of a large normal pizza (if I wanted to) but was completely stuffed after 2 slices of a medium Uno deep dish. You will not go hungry...

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 01:59 PM

We have UNO is Ohio, and it's pretty good, but nothing to call home about...is it better in Chicago?

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   RudyN

RudyN

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationMundelein, IL

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:23 PM

Quote:
Rudy - those pizzas to go look awesome (if somewhat pricey).

Are they worth it ????

I definitely thought they were. If you order the 4 pack, it averages out to about 15-16$ a pizza. Malnati's is a must stop for me anytime I'm in Chicago.
My DVD Collection

Gold Trader +21 on the Good Trader List

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
We have UNO is Ohio, and it's pretty good, but nothing to call home about...is it better in Chicago?
No. Overrated, big-time. Posted Image

Both Bacino's and Lou Malnati's sell better pizza.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:47 PM

Quote:
I've always been told that Uno's in Chicago is the best of the bunch(uno's that is) but inferior to the others like Lou Malnatis, Giordano's and Eduardo's.

If you go an order Stuffed pizza(this is the thing to order), then order a small for 2 people, or a medium for 4 people. 2 pieces max for any person is a good guideline as you will probably not even eat 2 pieces.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 01:11 AM

Since Chicago pizzas are under discussion, add Gino’s to the list.
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   ollie_k

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:53 AM

Hey, don't forget to go to Portillos for a great hot dog. I know there are some great hot dog joints but I don't live in the city proper, so I dont know where they are! Yeah, I'm a suburbanite. Someone else can point the way.
Check out my review site
Dvd-Dweeb.com!

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted February 04 2004 - 05:55 AM

Since price is no object ....

North Pond -- www.northpondrestaurant.com. American. One of my faves. VERY romantic. Overlooks scenic pond & nature museum and should be very nice in the early spring. Excellent seasonal menus. Bill w/ will be about $150.

Arun's -- one of the best Thai restaurants in the country. 11 course, prix fixe was $75/person last time I was there last year. Total tab for 3 people w/ tip+wine was about $500. A bit off the beaten path and expensive, but, you will never forget it.

Other high-brow places include Charlie Trotter's (ecletic American) & The Ritz Carlton Dining Room (French).

If you want to get into other neighborhoods, my 'hood has tons of good ones -- Fortunato (regional Italian), Cafe Absinthe (eclectic) & Meritage (regional, seafood).

For the real lowdown on pretty much any decent restaurant in Chicago, go to www.chireader.com or www.metromix.com.

Good luck !

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 04 2004 - 06:31 AM

Dick's last resort

Lots of fun, low class, great beer, decent food =)

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

Forum Nav Content I Follow