What's new

Hello everyone... (1 Viewer)

Just wanted to tell you a little about myself,and this DVD hobby of mine (more like and addiction really,but i'm sure i'm not the only one here with that problem.
smile.gif
)
I actually sarted collecting movies quite some time ago on VHS.If there was a movie i liked,i ALWAYS bought the original,rather than tape it from HBO like so many of my friends did.I even remember paying around 80 dollars for aliens when that was released.I had quite a nice collection of movies going,but in the later years of my VCRs life it kept getting hungry every so often and decided to eat my tapes.Being the movie collector i was i really didnt want to keep seeing my investments going down the drain,so i decided to take the plunge and get a laserdisc player.Cliffhanger was the first time i had ever seen a movie in widescreen format,and i honestly couldnt stand it at the time.I had no idea what i was really missing,so yes,at one point i was a regular joe six pack.It wasnt until i bought Jurassic park for my brother (he still had a VCR and the laserdisc hadnt come out yet) that i understood the horrors of pan and scan.A few years later,local stores that had carried laserdisc stopped carrying movies.Only a local record store carried them anymore,and didnt get new releases very often.I surely didnt want to return to VCRs.
It was at that time a friend mentioned a new format coming out.I thought he was making it up,but it turns out he wasnt and it wasnt too long after release,that i had a DVD player.
I am into movies now like never before,and i just recently bought a portable DVD player (panasonic LV55).So now,i can pretty much watch movies wherever i want,and have talked quite a few freinds into getting DVD players of their own.I always explain to them about widescreen (i wish someone had been there to explaing to me about those black bars and how much i had really been missing alll those years.)and although at first some dont like it they do end up getting used to it and many of them no longer my the pan and scam versions of movies.A friend of mine across the street who was never really too into movies a couple of years ago already has over 80 movies in a 2 year period for his DVD player.
Well.. guess i'm done rambling now,and i look forward dicuusing DVD with you all.take care

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Welcome to HTF, Andrew. I'm sure you will love it here - we do! Link Removed
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Welcome onboard, Andrew!
And don't worry, not everyone is as scary looking as me. Link Removed
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the our humble abode fellow addict. Link Removed ........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hi Andrew, don't let them fool you, this forum is actually very good in certain ways, I got caught up in it last year and after many escape attempts I'm still here, it's catchy and addictive, and so is the HTF, but I like it, and it sure beats running naked thru the streets in the middle of the night screaming your head off!
wink.gif

ps. just remember the HTF mantra, correct aspect ratio is good, pan & scan evil, and you'll have a great time here!
smile.gif

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, guy. I can assure you that most of us are pure movie addicts, and you are amongst fellow junkies.
I can also assure you that Rain's correct; most of us DON'T look like him. In fact, I rather look like the guy on the left side of the picture in my signature! Link Removed Only not as tall, and I never played High School football!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Eric Scott

Second Unit
running naked thru the streets in the middle of the night screaming your head off!
Hello Andrew, I’m the guy who was chasing Steve, usually with my 500V cattle prod in hand. But just about everybody runs when they see a six two, 240lb. chicken in purple tights charging towards them!
Joining HTF has cost me over 5 Gs, the friendship of the neighbors up stairs and the loss of my mother-in-laws company after 8 p.m.
frown.gif

You’re going to enjoy it here, where else can you meet a guy like Thedric Thamthon?
------------------

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Andrew, welcome to the HTF! Have fun and don't forget to make a donation to SteveGon's dvd fund - it's a tradition! Link Removed
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You're in the right place
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 18, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric Link Removed, was that you in the chicken outfit and purple tights chasing me that night? Jeez a guy can't have a naked stroll in the middle of the night without being harassed by a guy in a chicken suit, say hi to the inmates for me Eric, my nurse Inga just set me on fire again the bitch.
smile.gif

Thith potht dedicated to the late Thedric Thamthon the lithping thtutterer of Thithily.(not dead just late)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Andrew Welcome Aboard. How you like that portable player, I've been thinking about one of late.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.I really appreciate it.
Dave...the portable DVD is great.It also helps that you can watch them in anamorphic widescreen.A VERY nice looking picture.Don't expext anything fantastic in the area of sound through the built in speakers.Its o.k.,but i've beeen thinking about getting a pair of portable speakers to go along with it.Or you can get a CD/cassette adapter for the car and listen to it through your car speakers for those long trips.Not too sure yet how good the sound quality is through headphones,cause all i have is an old el cheapo pair of headphones from an old walkman.The picture and sound quality when hooked up to the 'ol home theater is as good as any other DVD player i've seen.The only downside is no component video out on the player i have.Pansasonic does have a newer model that just came out recently (LV60) and that player does have component.Toshiba also has one with component video out and a bigger screen (8 inch if i remember correctly.S-video does the job for me right now though.Can't wait till that day when i can afford a widescreen TV!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks