Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

I'll never use Polyurethane clear coat again!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Mike Keith

Mike Keith

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:48 AM

Minwax polyurethane clear satin finish ruined my speaker project. In just a few months the ambering effect became visable, then over the last year it go so bad I couldent hardly stand to look at them, especially after compleating my Maelstrom subs with the same paint and inlays, but with a clear lacquer top coat. So I completely stripped down the drums and repainted them with the "Bleached Stone" textured paint and used a water based clear top coat, much better, now they match my subs perfectly. To see the effects of this evil product in amber action see link with pictures.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 02:15 PM

umm, i think its pretty much common that poly will do that to any wood, at least the high-school kid working at home-depot knew it, for a true colorless clear coat try polycrylic clear or satin buy minwax, thats what i used on my Pi as i wanted to keep the blonde of the baltic birch.

A Finished pic, i finished them late september and they haven't changed one shade.

Posted Image

I noticed the change of the poly on my unstained rack mount the very day i finished it. I guess it would do the same to a painted finish too.
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

• 2,573 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 04:47 AM

The poly didn't mean to ruin your speakers. It's a well-known attribute of solvent-based polyurethane that it does yellow a bit over time. Depending on the color of the wood it is applied to, the effect runs the gamut from barely to VERY noticeable. The new water-based polys remain clear.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ken Cline

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 08:11 AM

It says right on the directions (from minwax.com)
That's why I used Deft laquer on my maple cabinets.
Ken Cline
Too Many DVDs, Too Little Time...

My Academy Screener Collection

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Mike Keith

Mike Keith

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 09:53 AM

Yea, I finally found that same blurb too, should have done more research but it's too late now. Anyway what’s with the mentioning of "Slight ambering", that’s just plane deceptive, there is nothing Slight about it, and spot testing wont work either, I actually did a test piece and let it set for 2-weeks, and no visible ambering, the extreme ambering that does occur will take a couple months at least, who’s got that much time to waste. Anyway I'm just venting about a mistake that was due to my inexperience in finishing, but seriously they should have a big red flag that pops up when you pick up a can that says "Warning this product will make everything it touches YELLOW, hope you like YELLOW", just my opinion. BTW nice looking sub, looks very well built.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users