What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition" (screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Better late than never. Sorry everyone, its been a really rough month. Plus I got this dvd late.

Next up, Runaway Jury! :)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I have also never seen the original and can't wait to get this tomorrow. The re-make wasn't really that great, but this should be good.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Adam,

Great review as usual, but I wanted to comment that you might want to reword the comment in the audio section of your review regarding the "crash landing". Youre giving away a spoiler.

I liked the original and the remake but I hated the sequels.

I will be picking up this as well.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm glad they released a special edition of this film since it's a classic and great sci-fi movie. I'm not sad that they didn't bother to re-do the sequel dvds because I saw the first sequel and it was all right and the previews for the sequel didn't seem like they got better. If I ever get any extra money, I'll pick this up!

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish FOX would have re-issued the sequels seperately on the same day ! I want a copy of Escape from the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes . With the reissue of the first one this is the least they could have done . But i guess this is just gonna be a Rocky 3 issue till they come to their senses.... :frowning: Oh btw make sure you get the right one ...Fox made a full screen version too...yuck!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I did somewhat of a comparison on my review at digitallyobsessed.com:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=5658

It's not a huge improvement, but it's definitely an improvement; the old nonanamorhic transfer was about as good as that could get. If someone already had the boxset and the Behind the Planet of the Apes set, it would be hard to justify a repurchase, frankly, unless you have anamorphic capabilities.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I changed my audio rating. I went back and watched half of the movie again. I can't fault the audio, since I am convinced that the original audio has been done right by Fox.

I think my original score is overall audio, but, I am not sure I should grade an older film like that. I think older films should be graded on how much hiss or crackle comes through, and how bold and clear it sounds. Obviously, older films arent having much going on in the sound dept anyway.

While overall audio for this film is a 2 in my opinion, going on my new thinking for older films, I am giving it a 4. The sound is bold and clear, and nearly crackle and hiss free.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Actually JohnnyHK I didnt reveal anything in my post. I just said he might want to reword his.

Am I wrong?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam for a great review. I refused to buy the 4x3 lbxed version and now with a new 16x9 transfer and DTS sound I am totally there. As a kid We watched this movie on cable about as often as Beast Master and Karatee Kid so it's part of my own personal history and I'm happy to add it to my collection.

Thanks Adam for a great review and thanks Fox for giving me this title in 16x9 and DTS!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not to take away from Adam's great review, but I'm surprised that Ron didn't do this review himself being the huge fan he is of POTA!

I am curious if any veteran viewers of the POTA DVD's know if the audio commentary on this new disc is recycled from the documentaries from the first DVD release?

Thanks, Nelson

PS: Looks like the review at Digitallyobsessed.com answered my question.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, guess I was considering the fact that their spaceship crash lands on the planet
is a minor spoiler in and of itself. No biggie obviously, but I know that I like to go into a movie knowing as little about the plot as possible.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Thanks for the review Adam!

This is one of my favorites. I saw it as a child & it just stuck with me ever since. I've always felt the facial make-up was very well done (though perhaps a lil stiff), especially for the time.

The old nonanamorhic widescreen version is actually a pretty good transfer. I also Just read Mark Zimmer's comparison (thanks Mark), & I'll likely upgrade at some point.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks