Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lighting Control

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 DanielH

DanielH

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 04:08 AM

When building a HT from scratch if I wanted to have control over dimming lights with a remote, what are some of the things i would need to do during the construction phase of the room, anything special ? Or just a special conrtol switch and a remote ?

#2 of 3 JohnnyN

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 05:18 AM

you can try x10 or lutron spacers, there are other options but some can quickly get very costly...

IMHO the x10 system performs way too slow to be considered, but you might try it once... you can set up macros and do complex stuff using your pc, i tried it didn't like it...

The lutron spacer system comes in two flavors the spacer dimmer switches and the spacer system.

The spacer switches are available at homedepot for about 50 bucks each and each come with an IR remote. You can dim them all the way off or all the way on and you can set one preset. If you have more than one relay of lights and more than one dimmer in a wall gang box, then you can create one scene, by setting the presets on all switches to the "scene"... I say only one scene because the switches will all respond to the same IR signal... so when you hit the button on your remote for the preset scene, all the switches will go to their preset level...

The spacer "system" looks exactly the same as spacer switches, but each dimmer can remember 4 preset scenes and the remote has four buttons, 1 for each scene.

hope that helps.

#3 of 3 Luitz

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 11:05 AM

Here was a thread about that

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=181454