-

Photo
- - - - -

Birds of Prey Anyone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 02:51 PM

Anyone thing that with the forthcoming Batman film, that we might get the complete season of this show finally on DVD?

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 04:32 PM

Gawd, I wish... that one was just coming into it's own when it got shot down... and they need their "Alfred" for the movie!

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 04:48 PM

Only if they include the origianl unaired pilot as one of the extras.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 04:23 AM

I'd buy it. I thought that show wasn't bad as it stood, and had great potential.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted February 02 2004 - 07:35 AM

I would buy Birds of Prey also! This really was a great show. I watched every episode when it aired... an unaired pilot was mentioned. I would love to see that... was there much of a diffrence?

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 07:56 AM

It was pretty unwatchable the first time. Dont think I could sit through it again.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 11:20 AM

I wouldn't put much hope in a Birds of Prey DVD release. The core fanbase rejected the series rather quickly due to the radical changes to the comic book premise and some sloppy writing. Warner presumably knows this since the network execs stated the problem when the show was axed.

Quote:
WB's Jordan Levin: "The concept proved there was an audience, and subsequent episodes didn't deliver."

As for the unaired pilot, it was rather similar to the aired pilot in script (just a few changed scenes to add some season arc elements to the story). The major change was with Sherilyn Fenn playing Harley. She did a somewhat better job than Mia Sara IMHO. For a DVD release, I would expect the changed scenes to be presented as extras. The original Harley scenes would only be released with Ms. Fenn's approval.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 01:23 PM

I'd probably pick this up.
I thought it was finally starting to come around when they canned it....

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:34 PM

There were lots of subtle differences in the unaired pilot, too. It had a different intro, there were a lot of small differences in the editing and the score and sound effects were very different in many places.
My Collection

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 07:40 AM

I thought they changed the series too much from it's comic book roots, but I still kind of enjoyed it. I felt that if the finale had been the premiere, it would have done well. It seemed the very last episode was the finest one. If every episode was that quality, it may have been around for a second season.

That said, I'd buy a relatively inexpensive set to get my hands on that episode alone.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Evan Lee

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 11:49 AM

I would buy it. If Jake 2.0 can be put on dvd then why not this? FireFly, (admittedly a much better show) also with a short run is coming to dvd so it is possible if we whine enough to the right people. While we are at it, I really want Fastlane to come to dvd.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 11:57 AM

Jake's coming to DVD? Hadn't heard about that....

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Dean Andre

Dean Andre

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 10:49 AM

As much as I'd like to see Birds of Prey on DVD, the series itself was just not that good. I agree that it showed potential in the end, but it started off quite bad and Dinah always annoyed me. She was no Black Canary.

It only just now occurred to me that Mia Sara who played Harley Quinn was the girl from Legend and Ferris Buleur's (sp) Day Off.

Either way, I'd like to see the set on DVD even though I burned the original airings on DVD. Our WB station here has fairly poor reception.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   RichardLoomis

RichardLoomis

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
I thought they changed the series too much from it's comic book roots, but I still kind of enjoyed it.

Exactly. Being a huge fan of the comic series - and the characters generally - I'm always baffled as to why they feel the need to change a formula that not only works, but seemed geared to a television format already. A direct adaptation would have made a great action series. Instead, they changed the characters.

Why does DC/Warner do this for their live action (see also: Catwoman), yet get the animated series so right (JLA, JLU, Batman etc). The so-called "kids shows" are given more respect that the ones for adult - at the very least, the kids shows aren't dumbed down!

Quote:
Dinah always annoyed me. She was no Black Canary.

Yeah, Dinah has been a long-running favourite of mine. I've been a big Green Arrow fan for years, so I guess it was only natural. What they did to the character in BOP was not right. Psychic powers? Ugh.

I'd very much welcome a DVD, especially with the unaired pilot, but I'd take anything really. I have seen all the episodes, as they screened out here at some godforsaken hour, and although I was disappointed overall, it had some good moments.
DVDBits - One of Australia's favourite sources for DVD news, reviews and stuff

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 11:44 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't put much hope in a Birds of Prey DVD release. The core fanbase rejected the series rather quickly due to the radical changes to the comic book premise and some sloppy writing.

Warner hasn't been too shy about toying with continuity in the past.

Someone care to explain:
  • A three-fingered Penguin?
  • A Batgirl named Barbara Wilson?
  • A Two-Face who isn't in thrall to his coin?
Quote:
Warner presumably knows this since the network execs stated the problem when the show was axed. WB's Jordan Levin: "The concept proved there was an audience, and subsequent episodes didn't deliver."

Bull.

Jordan Levin hated the show (To quote Executive Producer Brian Robbins, he thought it was "too dark for his air".) That's the ONLY reason it was cancelled (It had nothing to do with the writing, the sets, the showrunner, or the 1001 other things he blamed it on.)

For the TRUTH behind the cancellation, read this interview with Executive Producer Hans Tobeason.

Quote:
Being a huge fan of the comic series - and the characters generally - I'm always baffled as to why they feel the need to change a formula that not only works, but seemed geared to a television format already. A direct adaptation would have made a great action series.

When the TV show first came out, sales of the comic were DECLINING. Not exactly a mark of success.

Had The WB done a direct adaptation, we would've been left with something that amounted to a super-powered "She Spies" or "Alias" -- HARDLY original.

Giving superpowers and a Spandex costume to Sydney Bristow is not -- repeat, NOT -- an innovation in and of itself. For a TV show to succeed, it has to do something that hasn't been done 10,000 times before (Case in point: The WB's latest victim, "The Mountain".)

Face it: The Old School globe-trotting, a**-kicking, female secret agent genre has been done to DEATH ***cough*** "La Femme Nikita" ***cough*** "Alias" ***cough*** "She Spies" ***cough*** "Charlie's Angels" ***cough*** "V.I.P." ***cough***.

Ratings: BOP's ratings were on a par with Angel's in its (suicidal) 9:00 Wednesday timeslot. It did better than 80% of The WB's schedule.

STILL think it was a bad show?

It was ultimately the timeslot that killed the show (Every show SINCE BOP's cancellation -- "Angel", "The Mountain" ... and barring yet ANOTHER timeslot change, "Jack and Bobby" -- has died in that timeslot.)

Quote:
they changed the characters.

How many versions of Batman are there? (We've got B:TAS, "Batman Beyond", JL Batman, The WB's newest show "The Batman", film Batman, comic Batman, etc.)

You'll accept multiple continuities for Batman but not for BOP. Personally, I find that hypocritical.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
If Jake 2.0 can be put on dvd then why not this?
WOAH! Hold up... where did you find this? I've got the SkyOne airings sitting here in the edit queue and if this is coming, I'll not waste time on them (like I don't have enough stacked up to do..)

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 02:11 PM

According to the Save Jake 2.0, there is no real news about a Jake 2.0 DVD set. Fans are pushing though, so I'm hopeful.

I've never read the Birds of Prey comic, so I didn't have any preconceptions when I started watching the series. I fell in love with the first episode, and as far as I'm concerned, it just kept getting better. Don't know if I would have felt that way had I been a huge fan of the comic, but this would be a no-brainer purchase for me. Gotta have it!
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 03:01 PM

BOP is best appreciated as an "Elseworlds" story (It exists in a continuity all its own: apart from the Bat-films, comics, etc.)

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 03:47 PM

I'd buy it in a minute. I enjoyed it.

Posted Image

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 04:13 PM

Hmmm, it is interesting to see responses to statements I made 11.5 months ago. Posted Image

To set things up Liz, I will tell you that I watched every single episode of this series (including the unaired pilot) and enjoyed several moments and ideas. Still, I have to agree with most of my friends and several of the people who have contributed to this thread in their beliefs that the writers and producers stumbled with the concept and characters. Heck, Hans Tobeason even confirms that to some extent in the interview you provided.

Quote:
Regarding Dinah:We found it very difficult to write for her character - she always felt like a bit of a third wheel.

Regarding reasons for the cancellation: However, the process of writing BOP was somewhat unusual, in that the writers were being pulled in many directions at once, and had a very difficult time finding a groove, as it were.

In any case, I respect your enthusiasm for the series (as I have affections toward many short-lived series as well) and I hope it finds its way onto store shelves as a DVD set. I do have to interject about this comment of yours though:

Quote:
Ratings: BOP's ratings were on a par with Angel's in its (suicidal) 9:00 Wednesday timeslot. It did better than 80% of The WB's schedule.

IIRC, Jordan Levin at the time claimed that it wasn't level of the ratings that The WB was concerned about. It was the nearly continuous drop of those numbers. Whether he liked the show or not, that fact does have to concern any network head. As you can see here, after the typical post-pilot plummet from 6.5 to 4.7, the numbers kept trickling down to a 3.4 in the 7th consecutive week. Typically, series that will show some moderate success have a stable and dependable core audience by that point. With the higher production costs attributed to a SFX-laden series like BoP (even though the producers worked on the cheap due to early overruns), I can't blame the network for being jumpy about not knowing where their ratings floor was. The heavy promotion concerning the "return of Batgirl" did give the numbers a healthy boost for Lady Shiva. It would have been interesting to see if something could have been built from that, but it is rather atypical for any network to air much more than eight new episodes in a row for a fall debut series (especially into December). The rest of the numbers should probably be thrown out due to the haphazard airing dates, but they at best can only can truly suggest that stabilization of viewer numbers may have finally started to occur. Of course, it was a bit too late then.

And regarding your character/concept change comparisons between the Batman movies and BoP, I see that as an apples and oranges argument. For a feature film, you can get away with partially alienating some of your audience. Just out of pure curiosity, you can usually convince a good chunk of core fans to sit in a theater for two hours to see if the changes worked or failed (though Catwoman showed that you can take things too far). In a TV series situation, the viewers who were displeased with the changes likely won't return for the next week's airing. I have to think that this was a significant cause for the ratings profile that was seen.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow