What's new

Transfer problems with Bergman Boxset causes MGM to delay Release! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
This deserves a second post:

In the forthcoming Bergman MGM Boxset - we showed recently that they have either zoomed in or cropped away about 11.5% from their Persona DVD presentation.

Unfortunately the news is getting even worse. MGM have taken 2 other films from the Boxset - Hour of the Wolf and Shame and cropped them from their original 1.37 ratio to 1.66 making them widescreen... when they are not widescreen films. The original theatrical presentation was NOT Open-matte - these films were made at 1.37:1.

This is how the film should look (taken from French DVD):

This is how MGM is presenting them to Region 1:

Continuously in the film, people's heads are chopped off the top of the screen. An example from Shame is below.

Last time I saw someone frame a picture like this, it was my uncle Des at the family Christmas get-together.

Both DVDBeaver and Masters of Cinema are encouraging individuals, who still can, to cancel their pre-orders.

More of this information is being documented here:
http://www.new.dvdbeaver.com/

Regards,

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
its MGM.
they've been screwing up great films since 1999.

a real shame as otherwise the transfer appears to be pretty nice otherwise (according to your screenshot)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the future!

It was only a matter of time for Academy ratio films to be cropped or matted for the wide screen TV crowd. Well, at least they didn't redo the mono soundtrack for 5.1 surround sound.

Still, it's curious that MGM releases a P&S release of a wide screen Panavision film like Summer Lovers yet mats a 1.37 film for wide screen. Go figure.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
And the poor treatment of foreign films on DVD continues.

So far in 2004, I've cancelled my Bergman boxset and Cyrano de Bergerac orders.

Way to go MGM!! Keep it up, and I'll save a buttload of money... or just give my business to other studios.

You suck!

ADD:

Let's hope they do the right thing and license out Fanny & Alexander to Criterion.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Whatever the reason for MGM's handling of these films, it clearly wasn't done "for the widescreen TV crowd". If that were the case:
  • Persona would also have been matted for widescreen, whereas the problem Gary has identified is a zoom on the 1.33:1 image;
  • The other films would have been matted to 1.78:1 (instead they're 1.66:1); and
  • The matted films would have been enhanced for widescreen TVs (they're not).
M.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Argh, not AGAIN!

I will call these people - what's the number?

I am seriously PISSED about this!

S

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Michael's points make a lot of sense, so does anyone have any idea why MGM would have done this?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The screenshot from Shame is very poor. I am now 100% convinced that it was composed in 1.37:1 and was not supposed to be matted to ANY other ratio.

I'm going to cancel my order now. I bet $50 that MGM does absolutely nothing about this error.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Damn, the German Arthaus edition of Camille Claudel doesn't have English subtitles! No! :frowning:

This is one of the most beautiful films ever shot and I NEED a DVD edition with a transfer as good as the German Arthaus edition - but with subtitles.

Life's can be a real bitch sometimes!
#

EDIT: Does the French edition have subs: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...183435-7095452

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those canceling their pre-orders on this (not that anyone is actually keeping such a list). I think this thread should really be kept at the top of this HTF forum. Yes, this is THAT imporant (I think). If enough people were to cancel their orders.... who knows? It probably is too late at this point.

I've never been one for online petitions or even complaining to companies through email, but in this case I think I might actually consider doing the latter. Any suggestions on where at MGM I should send a short email?

ShaunS

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Wow, how sad. This set was on my "to buy eventually list". Not anymore....

The worst part is how many fantastic foreign films these idiots have released that harder working folks like Criterion would have loved to give a better treatment, and paid MGM to license it....

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
According to dvdfr.com database, the French R2 release of Camille Claudel seems to have no subtitle...

(but I don't know if this source is 100% reliable)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
do French R2 disc ever have English subs?
:rolleyes:i don't even bother looking into French etailers anymore, as i've never found a French movie there with English subs

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
So does anybody have any idea why MGM would have done this? As Michael Rueben pointed out up-thread, it's not with 16X9 users in mind, since the transfers aren't anamorphic. With Columbia's Annie SE, for example, the pan and scan was likely with "family viewers" in mind, or something lame like that. Utterly indefensible, of course, but that's probably what they were thinking. But this problem with the MGM Bergmans just doesn't seem to make any sense on any level.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This had been on my list of titles to get, but not anymore. Thanks for saving me some money!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks