-

Photo
- - - - -

What ties to wear with black shirts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 05:17 PM

I love black dress shirts. Black or Dark Grey are my favorite, I hate white dress shirts.

For a while I have been wearing a dress shirt informally, not buttoned all the way, no tie, with a t-shirt underneath slightly exposed.

Recently I've been getting the bug to be a bit more "dressy" for class, being it's my last semester and all. I wanted to start wearing ties with my dark shirts, but I have no idea what to wear.

In the rare cases I have had to dressup, I ahve worn a black tie on the black shirt, but it looks a little too mafia or mortuary, so I was wondering what else works?

White would only work if I'm a guitarist in a new-wave band, and the only other thing I've seen that would work is shiny grey (silver) or shiny gold.

Any other thoughts?
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 05:23 PM

I would suggest either a solid navy blue, or a solid dark red. If you're feeling a bit more outgoing, a brighter red.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 05:53 PM

I always wear a dark red tie with my black shirt (hate white shirts too).

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 06:13 PM

So, you wear the black tie and talk Italian all day - what's the problem? Posted Image

Seriously, white would be best, but any tie with a white background would fit well. Not white with other equally spaced stripes or checks, but predominatly white with a.. Ok, I had a teacher once that used to wear a white tie with small flowers on it. The petals were all different colours, but they only took up about 20% of the tie space.

The contrast works out really well, IMO.

Glenn

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 31 2004 - 06:52 PM

If you always make a statement with your tie...you can not go wrong. I have a dress shirt that looks gray when you look at it one way...and almost lavender when you look at it another. The two ties I have that go very well with it are an orange with diagonal orange stripes in the same color... and a solid yellow gold tie. I have a good friend who is kind of my own personal "queer eye for the straight guy" and he helped me pick these out for an important date I had with the woman of my dreams. They worked well. Posted Image
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 02:03 AM

There are three elements to color. Your shirt, your tie, your suit. Your shirt shouldn't be the same colour as your suit. If your wearing a black shirt, put on a grey suit. Then add a single-color tie to offset your monochrome look. Anything from light purple to dark red, emerald green, whatever you think works for you.

AVOID

Black shirt, black tie: You ain't Johnny Cash.

Grey shirt, black tie: Unless your a Neo-Nazi

Black suit, white shirt, red tie: Unless your a vampire.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 03:36 AM

I wear one of my red ones if I wear my black shirt.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Rhonda Lynn

Rhonda Lynn

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 03:43 AM

I think a shiny royal blue would go nicely. Posted Image

>'.'<

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   ace peterson

ace peterson

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 08:03 AM

I think any tie with a little black in it would go with a black shirt. Wouldn't it?

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 01:44 PM

The rule with black shirts is:

Wear ties of jewel-tone colors but nothing loud. Do NOT wear a white tie unless you want to be mistaken for Edward G. Robinson. People will immediately look at your shoes for spats.

A wonderful place for ties is Ben Silver. Though the prices are astronomical, the ties are exquisite.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   larry mac

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 05:22 PM

Quote:
and NEVER wear a tie tack!

Hey Buzz,

What happens to your tie when you sit down? I had to wear a tie recently, and my tie pin was not in my suit pocket like I thought. It was kind of OK when I was standing (although I found myself constantly straightening it), but looked really stupid when I was sitting. It wouldn't stay straight and was always going askew. And of course the two parts wouldn't stay together.

Needless to say, I made damn sure I had it the next time.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 07:28 AM

Try a dark purple or a purple/gray tie. Looks great with a black dress shirt. Posted Image

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Your shirt shouldn't be the same colour as your suit.
you mean the regis look is already out? Posted Image

when it comes down to it...are there really any rules for this? i mean, some people want to make a statment, so will go bold. others want to keep it toned down, so will go neutral.

black is a neutral color so just about anything will go. as long as it's balanced by the rest of the outfit, i think it'll work.

while not related specifically to ties, here's an article that may be worth a read.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:26 AM

Regis was "in" at some time?Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 08:27 AM

in a galaxy far far away.....

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 10:48 AM

Is it really bad to wear a black tie on a grey shirt? I started an internship last week and bought a couple shirts/ties for it. One of the shirts I bought was grey, and one of the ties black. I actually wore that combo (with black pants) last week, and I liked it. I didn't think it looked bad. What do others think?

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 11:44 AM

I never thought the black tie on a black shirt was bad. I actually like it and do it myself. As long as the black tie is shiny, it looks great! It's more of a classy look. Although, I live close to New York where wearing all black is almost a must Posted Image

But definitely try a dark silver tie, they look quite classy on a black shirt.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Rhonda Lynn

Rhonda Lynn

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image I think a black tie on a grey shirt with black pants is perfect. Posted Image

>'.'<

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrew W

Andrew W

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:27 AM

Quote:
Garrett Lundy said:

AVOID

Black shirt, black tie: You ain't Johnny Cash.

Grey shirt, black tie: Unless your a Neo-Nazi

Black suit, white shirt, red tie: Unless your a vampire

you forgot:

Black suit, red silk shirt, red silk tie: Unless you are the Merovingian
Andrew in Austin

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrew W

Andrew W

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 02:48 AM

Buzz,

Actually, I have the red shirt /red tie combination with a matching hatband.

You have to go custom to get a tie and shirt that are made from the same fabric.

But, It's for special occassions. I wore it for NYE and will wear it again for an upcoming Black and Red party.

Women were drooling over me.... Posted Image
Andrew in Austin

Forum Nav Content I Follow