Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek Generations CE DVD??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
251 replies to this topic

#21 of 252 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 10:22 AM

I am also anxious to hear something concrete. Don't quit now, Paramount! I want the same treatment for all the ST films... Yes, even Insurrection. I have my reasons.

Ric

#22 of 252 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 01:10 PM

This SE probably won't be released until late in the fall, as these releases seem to follow that pattern. Paramount probably won't make an announcement for this title for a few months. However, since the first edition didn't have an anamorphic transfer, its a safe bet there will a re-release. I just hope we get a lot of involvement from the cast on the extras...

#23 of 252 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,247 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
This SE probably won't be released until late in the fall
Also, Generations will be 10 years old on November 18 of this year.

Neil

#24 of 252 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 12:17 AM

It's definitely coming, right before Matt Jeffries passed away, they had an event at Paramount with a tribute to him, which is said to be inlcuded on the DVD when it comes out.

#25 of 252 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 01:24 AM

There are approximately 35 minutes worth of scenes that were cut from the film, a number of them trim footage but also a number of significant scenes, among them:

- the orbital skydive prologue
- the 23rd century coda
- a longer sequence involving Riker and Worf identifying the Bird of Prey that attacks the Enterprise
- the complete sequence of Soran torturing Geordi
- an alternate version of Picard's Nexus experience
- the original ending
- a final wrap-up giving each TNG cast member one more time on screen

I did an exhaustive analysis of the first workprint (dated 6-22-1994), the second workprint (circa August 1994), and the final release version of the film, and many of these trims and cuts occurred after the assembly of the first workprint. The primary scenes that were cut at this point were the orbital skydive prologue, the 23rd century coda, a third of the Soran/Geordi scene, about 30 percent of the original ending, and part of the final wrap-up. More edits were made after the second workprint was shown to a test audience, which gave the film a 66% approval rating due to the original ending, necessitating the reshoots in September 1994.

These lost scenes have been well documented, some of which were shown as behind-the-scenes clips on Entertainment Tonight, though the scenes have remained unreleased to the public at large over the last 10 years.

To read the complete analysis of the different versions of Generations, go to TrekWeb.com.

I for one would love to see these lost scenes restored onto the SE DVD.

Actually, Paramount did a sneak preview showing of the film on November 17, 1994, one day before the film's official opening. I happened to attend that sneak preview showing with some friends, and to this day it remains the only Trek film to have a sneak preview showing the day before its release (at least in my area).
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#26 of 252 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:00 AM

Given that Nemesis had numerous cuts that only a handful went on the DVD I would'nt hold my breath. Although maybe David Carson is more partial to deleted scenes that Stuart Baird was.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#27 of 252 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,247 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
Paramount did a sneak preview showing of the film on November 17, 1994, one day before the film's official opening.
I know. I saw it twice that night. Posted Image

Neil

#28 of 252 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Also, Generations will be 10 years old on November 18 of this year.

That's scary. Has it been that long?

It was a good movie, I don't care what anyone says. It had obvious plot holes, but it's no Star Trek V Posted Image.

And Neil, I love your sig. I own a 1977 35mm print Posted Image.

Mike

#29 of 252 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
There are approximately 35 minutes worth of scenes that were cut from the film

Wow!

This would make for a great SE.

#30 of 252 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:08 AM

35 minutes? Wow! I'd love to see all that! I'll settle for some of it, but WOW. I didn't know there was that much cut/reshot.

#31 of 252 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 05:59 AM

After holding out forever, I saw a new box set at Best Buy this weekend with the CEs of all six original crew films and snatched it up with gift cards. At $76 the price was right, and I had made the trip to get VI and the new SE of POTA anyways. I don't really feel like the Next Generation films lived up to the better original crew films (or the better episodes of TNG for that matter), but since I've gone this far.....

#32 of 252 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 09:58 AM

I sure would like to see those deleted scenes.
Commentary too.
Why cant they get the Next Gen cast together for a commentary. They are all suppose to be close right?

#33 of 252 OFFLINE   Roger_R

Roger_R

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 11:37 AM

There was a tape with a workprint of the movie that some guys at section31.com got their hands on. They posted all the cuts on their site...even though I can't find it now. a quick Google might do the trick though Posted Image
A lot of them are just small trims, but there's a couple of insteresting scenes such as the skydiving, extended torture scene and the ending.

#34 of 252 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 11:35 AM

This SE probably won't be released until late in the fall

Darn! I was really hoping for Summer. June or July would be great I think.
I too want to see the deleted scenes, even if the director decides not to include them in the film. An obvious one would be the alternate scene with Kirk that was reshot.

Given that Nemesis had numerous cuts that only a handful went on the DVD I would'nt hold my breath.

I'm sure Nemesis will be re-released with additional footage at some point.
I also hope Nemesis is not the final Star Trek film. I believe they could do something very cool with combined casts, obviously some characters would not be included. Wait and see what happens I guess.

#35 of 252 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 02:00 PM

combined casts..........one word "Q" no time or space barrier to deal with
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#36 of 252 OFFLINE   Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted February 15 2004 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
Given that Nemesis had numerous cuts that only a handful went on the DVD I would'nt hold my breath.

Well, there is a two-disc Nemesis coming after the two-disc Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection.

IIRC, the Generations SE has been done for a while...

#37 of 252 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
the Generations SE has been done for a while

Then bring it on! I don't want to wait 2 years to get the rest of these out!

Ric

#38 of 252 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 01:46 AM

For the record, the PNG format is a lossless compression format.

#39 of 252 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
IIRC, the Generations SE has been done for a while...

IMHO, Nemesis should have been done as an SE from day one.

Generations SE, First Contact SE, and Insurrection SE should have all been scheduled for this year.

What's the plan, delay everything just so they can release Nemesis twice without looking bad?

Meanwhile, junk like Voyager will get shoveled out by the month.

Guess they figure we're desperate enough to buy anything.

Sorry, I must be having a bad day...

#40 of 252 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted February 16 2004 - 05:52 AM

I would love to see the 35 minutes of deleted scenes from Generations, and it was a shame that only 20 (out of 45 minutes) of deleted scenes were included on the ST: NEMESIS DVD instead of all of the deleted footage.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow