What's new

Criterion to re release Charade in April (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Of course I'm glad that those who didn't buy this first time out will now have a chance to own it. It's a great (and under-rated) film imo and the commentary on the disc is one of the best I've ever heard.

However, it does piss me off that I'll have to buy it again for the anamorphic. The increased tendency for double-dips on Criterion discs is a bit alarming. This is a company that should be presenting their films in the best possible condition first time out, especially at the prices they charge ; or at least giving us some extra features to soften the blow ( as with LA BELLE ET LA BETE ).

TonyDale

Second Unit
Well, I won't be triple dipping; THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE has a very good anamorphic CHARADE which only lacks the supplements from Criterion.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Wow, anamorphic Charade with that commentary, I'm definitely in for the double dip. I never saw Truth About Charlie, so I'm not in Tony Dale's position of not needing to triple dip.

Anthony, I agree that any double-dipping is unfortunate, but Criterion's been all 16X9 for at least a couple of years now. I'm more happy about the possibility of getting new anamorphic transfers from them for some of the old non-anamorphic titles than I'm upset about double-dipping. Although, in this case I picked up Charade largely because it was going OOP, and it would have been nice to know that they were eventually going to try to go back and re-do it in anamorphic, if indeed they knew that at the time it went OOP (I guess it's possible that they didn't know they'd get that chance).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The same for me. I have both of the previously released dvds and I'm happy with them.

Crawdaddy

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
Now if we can only get Brazil in anamorphic (also universal). I imagine all the earlier MGM licenses(spinal tap,silence of the lambs) will be hard to get now but i'd want them too.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I have no interest in purchasing Charade, but this gives me hope that Criterion will re-release some of their non-anamorphic releases in the future with a anamorphic transfer.

I'd love to see re-releases of Amarcord, Andrei Rublev and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I also hope this will possibly lead to more re-releases of non-anamorphic titles from 1997-1999.

As for me rebuying Charade right away - I'll have other priorities. But I'll pick it up eventually.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
And some Kurosawa, like Yojimbo, let's hope that gets re-released anamorphic. 1:85 non-anamorphic movies can work fine on 16X9 TVs with zooming--Vertigo looks great on mine--but it really is quite absurd that any 2:35:1 movie was ever released with a non-anamorphic transfer.

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disent on the quality of the transfer of the '63 version of Charade Universal included with The Truth About Charlie. Although enhanced for 16:9, the colors are weak and the image is rather soft and lacking in fine detail. Criterion's non-enhanced transfer actually looks better in these areas, only lacking 16:9 enhancement.

If one is using a 4:3 display, I'm not sure replacing the previous Criterion version is even necessary. Alas, in my position, buying yet a third version of this film for a newer, better 16:9 transfer is a foregone conclusion.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Excellent.

I wonder if it's the same transfer as the one used for "The Truth About Charlie"? It says "all-new", but I wonder if that means "all-new to the Criterion Collection"?

Either way, it will be nice to have a pressing that combines the excellent picture quality of the "Truth Aboutu Charlie" edition and the supplements of the Criterion version. The commentary still cracks me up.

-Dave

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

It just might be the same transfer.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC has the same transfer as the Universal release - yet people were boasting at how amazing the transfer was on the Criterion disc. :rolleyes

TonyDale

Second Unit

I'm more than willing to wager that Universal's anamorphic transfer will be the one that Criterion uses.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I won't bother getting the new Criterion disc. I just picked up the Universal Charade DVD which comes with some extra feature that has Mark Wahlberg.

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator

I very much hope not. It so, that would be a waste of good plastic.

Hopefully, there will be additional details about this from Home Vision (Criterion) soon.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Cool! I picked up THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE previously viewed for ten bucks, then swapped my OOP edition of CHARADE for Criterion's spectacular NAKED LUNCH. It'll be nice to see that nifty CHARADE spine on my shelf once again.... ;)

Real Name
Anthony
With reference to Peter's comment that CHARADE isn't under-rated, I think that it has gained in stature recently; ironically because of the stark contrast thrown up by the remake. Prior to that, however, I DO think it tended to slip under peoples' radars and I have seen many lukewarm reviews of it.

Of course, it depends on how good a film you think it is. Personally, I think it's ALMOST on the level of movies like NORTH BY NORTHWEST ; Peter Stone's clever script, the photography, the locations and a cast that includes Walter Matthau, George Kennedy, James Coburn and the only screen-pairing of debatably the two Greatest Stars Hollywood ever produced - it all adds up to a virtually perfect piece of entertainment that I've always thought should be regarded amongst the 100 greatest American films.

IMHO :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks