What's new

Panasonic RP 91 VS Denon 2900 (1 Viewer)

Mark Lowell

Auditioning
I have had the RP 91 for several years and think its a terrific player. I have been reading some great reviews on the Denon 2900. Has anyone compared the two? I'm mostly interested in the video performance.

Thanks

David Judah

Screenwriter
On paper, the Denon benefits from newer chips and a better deinterlacer. In practice with film based material,(using a Pioneer Elite 58")they have a different look with the Panasonic being more detailed while the Denon, although softer, looks more "film-like." Preference will depend on the display and personal taste.

For video based material(I used a Kenwood demo disc)the Denon won easily(no big suprise)as that is the RP91's major weakness. I also thought DVD-A was a little fuller sounding with the 2900, although there wasn't a huge difference.

If I was faced with the same decision, I would move to the Denon for SACD & DVD-A in one box and better bass management for those formats, but I know that is less of an issue for you. For my preference, I wouldn't make a change based on the video performance alone, but again, we all have different tastes.

DJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The latest firmware update for the RP-91 -- version 259 -- seems to improve the player's performance on video-based material. At least, that's been my experience. While it probably still is not as good as the Denon, it does bring it closer.

The RP-91's biggest selling point has always been its built-in scaling/aspect ratio control feature. The Denon does not have this feature.

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
I have directly compared the RP91 to the Denon 2200, which is said to have, essentially, the same video section of the 2900.

To my eye, the Denon beats the Panasonic handily, not just for detinterlacing, but also for overall image quality. I don't consider the Denon to produce a "softer" picture than the RP91 but a smoother one. I don't use the term "soft" as I would define that as equivalent to rolling off high frequency detail. I don't find that. Indeed, the 2200 reproduces an image with at least as much real detail as the Panasonic, yet it does so with much cleaner edges and virtually no hardware-induced ringing. By direct comparison, I would say the Panasonic has a slightly "harsher", more "digital" looking picture than the Denon.

That said, yes, the Panasonic still has the excellent aspect ratio scaling feature that the Denon does not. Which is why I still have both players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks