What's new

Sideshow/Weta LOTR Collectibles (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
This is an offshoot of discussion in the official Return of the King thread. Some of our discussions about these things took the thread off track for other people.

Anyway...first things first....

There is also a rotating flash gallery on the product page here: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/c...otre&item=9338

I think this thing is awesome for a couple reasons... 1. He's FREAKIN HUGE. If you're reading this on a 19" monitor, he is almost as high as your monitor. 2. The pose is awesome...he's swining both his sword and mace and he is looking down so it will pair up perfectly with the Eowyn statue.

The next one I want to see the most is that $300 Sauron statue (I pre-ordered that as well). Is this thing gonna be 2 feet tall or something??? It's gotta be something special for that price. Maybe he's in some kinda environment or something?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, this is beautiful statue. I have one pre ordered, and I just may have to order a second.

Based on the quality and coolness of this piece, it is sure to sell out.

I guess a thread dedicated to this stuff is gong to be necessary. In detail discussion of stuff, pictures of statues and weapons, etc.. would probably be better here, but I still think that there is no good reason that cool LOTR collectables shouldn't be casually discused in the ROTK thread. There is always stuff in that thread that is not necessairily strictly film discussion.

Kami, you should definitely consier a full sized Shards of Narsil. It is really beautiful. To be able to hold the broken hilt (which is just like the one in the film) and feel its weight is just so darn cool.

Im definitely going to get the unlimited Anduril.

So do you have any sideshow / weta statues yet? Besides the Argonath and Smeagol? I just received Frodo (sold out about a week after I bought him) and he is really nice. He looks much nicer than the pictures on sideshows website.

Sam and Bill the pony are on the way. I have lots of the new ROTK stuff pre ordered. It is going to be an expensive year. :)

Kami

Screenwriter
I definitely want a sword, but if I had to choose one it would be the Unlimited Anduril. The Shards of Narsil and Glamdring are the only other ones that interest me.

I don't have any others besides the Argonath and Smeagol yet. I always held off so I could treat myself when the ROTK ones came. Well I have one other Sideshow product, the film frame collectible given away at trilogy tuesday. I actually got 3 of them! Someone left one on the floor and my buddy gave me his.

I have pre-ordered The Morgul Lord, Sauron, the new Balrog, and Eowyn as Dernhelm. I might budge on Gandalf and Shadowfax once I see the pics (I probably will). Anxious to see what other ROTK products they announce. I want them to make an Eagle bad (just like my sig, with tiny Sam and Frodo at the talons and Gandalf on his back).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have the Argonath and Smeagol. I got the No Admittance bookends last weekend, and this past week I found a retailer selling Frodo for $65 and Lurtz for $80. So I bought all of their remaining stock :) As soon as they arrive, all but one of each are going up on ebay, to help fund further Weta purchases (and to re-adjust the balance of my bank account).

I have Gollum, Boromir, Eowyn and the Witch-king on order from Sideshow. I frequenly go to different comic book shops, so I'm always on the lookout for new statues, especially the sold-out/retired ones. I'd love to own Sam with Bill the Pony, Aragorn (the old one, King doesn't do it for me), and Saruman. As far as the non-sold-out ones go, I'd really like to pick up the Nazgul on Steed, and I'm trying to convince my wife that it's not too early to start Christmas shopping, and have her order Gandalf on Shadowfax for me.

A local comic book shop has Gandalf the Gray for $125, but he's got a big chip out of his hat. I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to talk them down.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I have a few of the Sideshow collectibles, the Argonath bookends, Smeagol and sent away for Gollum. My sister bought me the Saruman over the Palantir for Xmas last year. I guess that is when I started becoming a bit of a sucker for these things, they are nicely detailed so I went on and bought my favorite Tolkien character the Bilbo statue standing on the barrel and the Gandalf the Grey bust. That order came with the free troll hammer.

I have a whole bunch on order, i'm glad the releases are spread throughout the year. The Wraith on Steed, Elessar, Theoden, Morgul Lord, Sauron, Eowyn and Gandalf on Shadowfax statues. I am going to build a nice display for these to be housed in soon.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Morgul Lord is gonna be awesome. Can't wait to see pics of the matching Eowyn/Dernhelm statue as well. They really ought to make a little Merry was well - have him crawling up behind WiKi... ;)

I added Gandalf/Shadowfax to my list of pre-orders the other day. I can't imagine any way that won't be gorgeous.

Supposedly they're going to announce the rest of the RotK line and post pics of everything in mid-February.

I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the WiKi/Fell Beast statue.

As for swords, I'm about the pull the trigger on Sting. Anyone have that? Will surely get Anduril as well.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Sean, the Shards of Narsil, and the UNlimited Anduril you mentioned; I can't seem to find them anywhere on the website. Could you point me to them, please?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Damn, he looks magnificent. I've got the wraith on steed backordered but I'm not sure if I can justify getting another one. These are BIG items and I don't think I've got the space to show them off properly. Plus I think I'd rather have ONE enduring image from the films adorning home - and for me that's the black riders.

The one other I am considering though, is the Escape Off The Road plaque. That would look nice in my hallway.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Craig,
I've got Sting. It's pretty nice for such a small sword/dagger. If you can get it for a relatively decent price, definitely go for it.

I've got the Morgul Lord pre-ordered, and I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the new Balrog and Sauron. I really want to see pics first, but I can always cancel my order at a later date.

...too bad the IT field still isn't hiring as much as ~5 years ago, or I'd probably already have some big-ass signing bonus to tide me over until graduation :D

Kami

Screenwriter
Well the new Balrog is open edition so they'll keep making them as long as people keeping buying them. I think the only advantage of pre-ordering it is that you'll get it in the first shipment and won't have to wait months while they make more.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Seeing the response that this thread is getting, I think it will do just fine separated from the ROTK thread. Whether or not the participants in that thread can tolerate our discussion about collectibles, I think the discussion would get lost among the 62+ pages of discussion about the movie and book. And it's not as if your participation in one thread means you can't participate in the other. I haven't checked the ROTK thread today yet, but Kami should (if not done already) let everyone in that thread know that this thread has been created.

Okay, on with it.

I have:
Ringwraith and Steed
Cave Troll
Balrog
Fell Beast and Morgul Lord
Argonath and Gollum as Smeagol from EE DVD collector sets
Gollum as Gollum

I have preordered:
Morgul Lord
Eowyn as Dernhelm
Sauron
Gandalf and Shadowfax

How big will Sauron be? They don't list the dimensions yet, but they list the weight as 15 pounds. That's 5 pounds more than the Morgul Lord statue. Sauron very well could be 2 feet tall.

Kami

Screenwriter
I think 10lbs is the wrong weight for the Morgul Lord. Reason being the first WiKi ( http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/c...318&type=store ) is smaller than the morgul lord and weighs 18 pounds, it's also 50 bucks cheaper. I've seen sideshow change their weight numbers before so I wouldn't be surprised. I mean they're both polystone and the Morgul Lord is clearly a lot more polystone!

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Mark bk:

The full-size collectible swords aren't made by Sideshow/WETA they are made by United Cutlery (The Noble Collection also makes a few, but IMO the UC ones are better). A good place for pictures and information on LOTR collectible weapons is at http://www.bladesbybrown.com/lotr.html They have a lot of good info there on current and upcoming UC products, but you can find better prices if you look elsewhere.

My collection so far includes Sting w/ scabbard, Glamdring, Shards of Narsil (#3433 of 5000), and Anduril (#116 of 5000)

Kevin

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Crap, I should've jumped at the chance of getting the limited edition Anduril. The Unlimited looks nice, but just not as appealing to me. It's the plaque difference mostly...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
My fiancee suprised me with the Glamdring replica for Xmas. The best kind of present - I would never have spent the money on it, but I totally wanted one.

I've also got a Gandalf the Grey bust (won in a contest from Houghton Mifflin, sweet!).

That Witch King statue is bad-ass, but I don't have enough money to buy the good stuff like that. :)

I still want the Balrog lithograph - I should have nabbed it when the fanclub store had it in stock. I was too poor though. Perhaps I'll sell a couple of video games and spring for the new Balrog statue (once they have a picture up).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Oh yes. Considering the response this thead has gotten, there`s no question that this warrants its own thread.

Mark, I`ll have to do some looking but I can`t right now (not at regular computer). Did you try a GOOGLE search?

I don`t have the specific address right now, but I know of a place called themithrilarmorey (not sure of spelling) that sells the UNITED CUTLERY LOTR weapons.

The full sized Shards of Narsil may mre difficult to find now. It may be getting close to sold out (it is limmited to 5000 like the limited Anduril).

The plaque for the Limited Anduril is certain beautiful, but the new plaque for the UNimited Anduril looks quite nice as well. It is actually more in the style of the plaques for Narsil and the Shards of Narsil. The sword itself is the same.

I got Sting in 2002. The scabbard looks nice too, but I have not got that yet (don`t know if it is really necessary, but I do know it looks nice).

I plan on getting UNlimited Andurl when it comes out (I think it should be out in February). I`d like to maybe get Glamdring, but not sure about that.

I of course have the Argonath and Smeagol from the EE gift sets. I hesitated in getting the Gollum version of the statue, and it is now SOLD out! Will have to go to ebay some day if I really want it.

More on my weta stuff later. Gotta go.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I went to a comic book shop this afternoon. There on the shelf was Gandalf the White, holding his staff above his head.

Now he's in my home. Trying to find a place for him.

The United Cuttlery swords are fantastic. We own Sting, Narsil (not the shards, but Elendil's sword), Glamdring and Gimli's Axe. Sting, Narsil and Glamdring are mounted on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks