What's new

labyrinth, the so called collectors edition... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
WOW. That's pure insanity. The list for LOTR: TTT - EE is $10 less than that!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I thought this third release marked the first time that Labyrinth has had a 5.1 soundtrack, but the DVDFile review says that also existed on the Superbit version. Anyone confirm?

Update: Ok, it appears that the first version of Labyrinth did not have 5.1, but had that great Into the Labyrinth documentary. Then the Superbit came out which had 5.1 but did not have the Into the Labyrinth documentary. Now this third version came out and it has the 5.1 and it has the Into the Labyrinth documentary. Seems like this edition makes sense.

Except the price doesn't make sense. You could simply buy the Superbit version to get the best version of the film, and also buy the original version to get the Into the Labyrinth documentary, and you'd still be paying ten dollars less than the cost of this new edition.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Except that the SuperBit has sync problems with the DTS soundtrack. I'd love to get this version, but have a difficult time justifying the $50 US pricetag.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It looks quite interesting at first glance, until you notice how malnourished the set is. The real capper is the price. Just insane.

Adam

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, I don't own a copy of Labyrinth yet. However, with a price like that, I won't be purchasing a copy anytime soon. Too bad...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Also, DVD Beaver did one of their great comparisons between the three versions and could find nary a difference in picture quality. Just get the original release unless you really need the 5.1. I mean it wasn't originally in 5.1 anyhow, so it's not like it's any great loss.

EDIT- That was actually a comparison of the DARK CRYSTAL discs, but I'm pretty sure it still applies.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I did the dark crystal comparison,
I will pull out the old Labyrinth and the SB
and see if the picture is acutally different
and post a note.

I think Columbia is trying to do what WB is
doing with the "Collector's Edition" box sets.
WB is issuing the same discs, just adding a film
strip, a booklet, and some photos / post cards.

Columbia's Dark Crystal CE vs. original was nothing
new in the picture or sound dept. The extras varied
but I value the music only track of the old one over
the story treatment on the new. The paper extras at
first sounded nice, but the miniature notepad turned
out to be a disappointment.

For Dark Crystal, keep the original and get a real
book about the making of the movie.

I think the same will apply with Labyrinth.

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
$50? For something that just qualifies as a non bare boned release? I love this film in a nostalgic kind of way, but as said already in the thread. That price is lunacy.

Makes you wonder if Sir Didymus is in charge over there. :rolleyes

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Dean, thanks. You can see the improvement in the 4th screencap the best - look at the clock in the scene. But both versions look good. The 5.1 sound is probably more of an incentive than the slight improvement in picture quality.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I'll wait a few months until this gets moved to the Bargain bin, you know after months of no one buying it because of the insane price. I can see all the Columbia execs scratching theri heads now, saying "what went wrong? we called it a collector's edition, those lemmings should have eatend it up. that it, I have no faith in humanity!"

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
You'd be surprised - there is a market for this.

I got one for my sister's birthday and she was extremely happy - although she already has the first two editions.

For some people (mainly women in their late twenties) this is a very very special film.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a pretty special movie too, but this latest release seems a bit loopy to me. I still have yet to purchase the DVD, but I'll most likely snag the earlier release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks