What's new

ANGEL Season 3: No more OAR Rants. (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The debate over the ratio for Season 2 and the BUFFY sets became blown WAAAY out of proportion in many forums, but as we all know that Season 3 was intentionally shot in 1.78:1, and will be released on DVD that way, I for one look forward to reading peaceful discussions about it after its Feb 10 release. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Only because some folks will be confused why one episode is shown in WS while the rest of the season is 4:3.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
(pukes on the R2 versions...) ;)

I am all ready for season 6 now. I honestly don't think it's nearly as bad as some people made it out to be. I thought it was pretty well done in most parts, and the stories were still fun.

While I'm getting season 7, it's not nearly as good as any of the others...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Aint it interesting how TNT shows Angel S3 pan and scanned, non OAR BUT shows their new "The Goodbye Girl" in WS???

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Yeah, same as how HBO only shows theatrical movies in FF/P&S, but show their own original programming, including movies and series, letterboxed widescreen.

Duane R

Second Unit
For those going to purchase this at Best Buy: You can save $6 by ordering it online for instore pick up ($39.99 vs. $45.99).

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
ALright, did anyone watch any episodes yesterday? Looks as if we could discuss here. I watched 1-4 last night, and will watch 5-8 tonight. Thoughts?

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
The thought i have is none of NYC's top stores had it! J and R is where I go for all my dvd needs and they didn't have a single copy. So I went to my favorite store that breaks street date and bought it there but i sure was annoyed that J and R didn't have it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I watched 1-4 yesterday as well. Video quality is definitely top-notch. Too bad Fox continues to use a DD2.0 soundtrack as opposed to 5.1 (like 24 S2).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Here's an interesting detail, and it goes with this discussion of a cut at the beginning of season 2, episode 21.

On the new DVD of "That Old Gang of Mine" (season 3, episode 3), a single line has been cut from Angel's opening monologue. In broadcast versions, he says, "That night still haunts me. I'm ashamed how I treated you." On the DVD, the first sentence has been eliminated.

Now I think I know why this change was made. Spoiler-protected, just in case.

The "previously" segment for this episode includes Angel sleeping with Darla and throwing her out. But these events have no bearing on the episode. They're included only for the sake of misdirection; you're supposed to think, for a moment, that Angel is delivering this speech to Darla instead of to a demon snitch. With the "previously" segment eliminated, it's like a punchline without a setup. So the speech gets edited to be less specific.
All of this makes me wonder whether the cut in season 2 was deliberate (I don't recall how the "previously" segment for that episode was structured). And now I'm wondering how many other episodes have had minor edits as a result of eliminating the "previously" segments.

M.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I just checked the R2 DVD and you're right. That opening segment makes a lot less sense if you don't see the "Previously on Angel" intro right before it. And overlooking that problem, there's still the issue of editing out a portion of the episode(even if it is just a line of dialogue). That should never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks