What's new

Recommend me a good and the best dvd player thats not Sony for under $240.00 (1 Viewer)

MarcianoD

Grip
Thanks guys I am done with Sony my second dvd player just quit working and I am giving up on them.

Can anyone recommend a good dvd player price im willing to go to is up to $240.00

must play mp3 and I have seen a few that also can display cds with jpgs and picture files, one of those would be great

Thanks a ton.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend the Toshiba SD-4900. It has all the features you requested plus DVD-A. BestBuy's got it for $89, so it's well in your range. Toshiba's aren't considered the best, but I've owned a couple Toshiba DVD players and have never had any problems or complaints. Otherwise, I would check into a used Denon.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
If you want top-rated picture quality way above the others, you have to get a Faroudja-based DVD player. The cheapest model is the Mistubishi DD-8040 for $249 at Tweeter stores.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
If you use the player a lot, don't expect miracles from a $200 dvd player that probably cost $50 to make. You tend to get what you pay for and cheap players are likely to break down regularly with lots of use. Suggest you raise your standard up to 400-500 if you want to get a good player that will last a while.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, what you say is true. DVD players must be used fairly conservatively if you want them to last. My bedroom player is a plain-vanilla Toshiba 2800, which works beautifully. However, I use it to play discs straight through; I don't do any "trick" maneuvers with it. And it gets about two hours of use on a nightly basis.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i have a sony 5 disc changer that is a few years old at least (dvp-c660) and i use the hell out of it. it has had no problems SO FAR...hopefully it will continue to work in the future.
what do you mean by this?

CJ

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the cryptic phrase. I don't jump chapters, fast forward (or backward), do lots of stops and pauses. I just play the disc straight through. That sort of thing.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
The 563A from Pioneer is one of the hottest players going for around that price. It's the only thing in my setup thats not Sony. It boggles me how many people rag on Sony products. I guess it's just because I haven't any cheap stuff. I bought the Sony 200 Disk DVD player after it was discontinued. I had it for five years and just recently sold it. In all the time I had it I never had a single problem. The only reason I sold it was because it wasn't progressive scan. Which looked outstanding on my 27", but looked like crap on my 55". It's kinda like buying a car. When you buy electronics don't get the cheapest thing out there. Get what you think you will be comfortable with.

~C.C.~

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
It's not about price. Any Sony DVD player comes with "built-in" chroma bug... regardless of price.

Which DVD player should I buy? CHEAP Pioneer with no chroma-bug or EXPENSIVE Sony with chroma bug?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes buy one of the top-rated Secrets players - the great Faroudja-based models like Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600, DVD-910.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
Any cheap player you buy will have chroma bug. If you don't want chroma bug buy a Krell. It also astounds me that someone buying a DVD player for $250 or less would be worried about something as frivolous as that. I think you should spend more time enjoying the movie and less time trying to find something you probably would have never noticed.

~C.C.~

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my Denon DVD-910 for exactly US$250 and it doesn't have chroma-bug. I bought my Panasonic RP-56 for around US$175 and it also doesn't have chroma-bug.

You really need to check out the prices more, dude!

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
oh, PS: chroma bug is something that I can see clear as day. Of course, ignorance is bliss. (no, I'm not being sarcastic, I REALLY wish I'm oblivious to Chroma-bug)

Robert_B

Auditioning
I have a Sony 5-disc changer (DVP-NC655P) that is about 1 year old and it cost about $229 or so... Anyway, it will not recognize a DVD or CD... It cycles through all 5 and tries to read... after each one fails the led for that disc is turned-off... until all of ths disks fail...

Ultimately, the display reads "No Disc".

Any thoughts o a quick fix?

What is likely the problem?

Ever heard of such a thing?

Thanks,

Robert

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
It's either the laser head has weakened or the spindle motor not spinning anymore.

Repairing something like this usually cost around US$100 (if it's the spindle motor) up to US$200 (if it's the laser head, depending on the make/model).

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
Look at lite-on lvd 2002 or 2001 (basically the same player). Great price (about $100), uses the new Sigma 8500 chip which is probably one of the best in it's class (although if you have the money go for the Faroudja). Also it is one of the most versatile players around even plays divx. Region free ane macrovision free (no firmware hacking, simple hidden menu). And the dvd drive is just a disguised lite-on pc drive so if that ever breaks you can always buy a new one for $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks