Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Outer Limits (Original Series) - comments?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#41 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 03:24 AM

^^^

The Luminoids are an intriguing species, aren't they?  Who would have thought that not being able to move could work so well in a story.  I also liked the special effects used in the engine of the car, and seeing David Opatoshu in a role prior to A Taste of Armageddon.

BTW, I didn't know anything about season five of the 1990s series being distributed.  I thought season two had yet to be released.

#42 of 121 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted June 23 2010 - 05:58 AM

It's a Canadian release, but it still counts.

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-5/13954

BTW - Once my kid saw the Luminoids up close - "Hey, there's just some plastic slapped over their face" - he wasn't as scared as he was prior to that thanks to all the atmospheric design, lighting and the weird-but-hauntingly-effective 'music.'  Also, I still get a little ... misty when Sam Wannamaker says "I'm going to take my wife's hand ... will someone take mine?" I imagine this story was somehow inspired by the self-sacrifice versus slavery tale of Masada.

Originally Posted by Ockeghem 

BTW, I didn't know anything about season five of the 1990s series being distributed.  I thought season two had yet to be released.

#43 of 121 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 06:35 AM

Does anyone know if The Outer Limits season 3 from Canada is still available?  It is no longer listed on amazon.ca.  In fact it says this product is unavailable and they do not know when it will again be available.

#44 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 07:06 AM

Wayne, not sure what you're seeing with your copy of A Feasibility Study DVD. I'm playing my copy now and it looks great to me. I haven't watched the entire show, just skipped around to see a few scenes and I don't see any muddiness to it, or scratches.

It's one of my favorite episodes of the original series. I always had a fun memory of it whenever I drive into a thick fog.

Are you referring to the New Outer Limits version of A Feasibility Study with David McCallum that looks so muddy? I happen to catch that remake episode once on syndication a few years back. It didn't seem as effective as the original.

I didn't know The New Outer Limits was available in Canada! Wow, if these play on Region One players, I might have to try to collect those. I only have S1 from the US release.

#45 of 121 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 07:16 AM

I just found season 3 at cdplus.com and it had Free shipping to the US.  I will use them instead af amazon.ca

#46 of 121 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted June 23 2010 - 09:06 AM

Mine absolutely looks terrible, I'm not exaggerating, and there are definite scratches (or lines running down the middle) in parts. My copy is the first four disc, double-sided release of the First Season; the first release. Was there any clean up for the re-release when they re-packaged it? If so, I would gladly pick that up. Some episodes have looked better, but this episode on my set is definitely below poor, and comprable to the first 15 episodes on the Route 66 dvds.

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

Wayne, not sure what you're seeing with your copy of A Feasibility Study DVD. I'm playing my copy now and it looks great to me. I haven't watched the entire show, just skipped around to see a few scenes and I don't see any muddiness to it, or scratches.

It's one of my favorite episodes of the original series. I always had a fun memory of it whenever I drive into a thick fog.

Are you referring to the New Outer Limits version of A Feasibility Study with David McCallum that looks so muddy? I happen to catch that remake episode once on syndication a few years back. It didn't seem as effective as the original.

I didn't know The New Outer Limits was available in Canada! Wow, if these play on Region One players, I might have to try to collect those. I only have S1 from the US release.

#47 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 09:14 AM

Wayne, I have the same release you do. The first release with double sided discs. Dark blue cover and silver case.

I'll sit and properly watch it, but I really thought it looked fine. It was grainy, but it was film grain, or it would seem. I'll look for scratches, but to me, it didn't seem any worse or better then the other episodes.

#48 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted June 24 2010 - 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic 

Mine absolutely looks terrible, I'm not exaggerating, and there are definite scratches (or lines running down the middle) in parts. My copy is the first four disc, double-sided release of the First Season; the first release. Was there any clean up for the re-release when they re-packaged it? If so, I would gladly pick that up. Some episodes have looked better, but this episode on my set is definitely below poor, and comprable to the first 15 episodes on the Route 66 dvds.

Hollywood,

Thanks for the info. on the Canadian releases.  This is news to me.

As for the original TOL (and especially A Feasibility Study), I too have a pretty fine print, without any of the negatives you've described.  Then again, this is the series that I had to purchase three times before I got discs that didn't freeze.

BTW, speaking of the music for this episode -- it may contain the longest sustained 'ostinato' (used in the general sense, rather than as a repeated figure functioning as the basis over which variations are weaved throughout an entire work) in the series.  {Another lengthy example that comes to mind is the haunting harmonic tritone that permeates much of the sound world in The Bellero Shield.}  The repeated figure in A Feasibility Study (one note which is repeated and ascends a minor third and then another note which is repeated before descending a minor third) that you hear when Opatoshu first goes into the fog in the teaser is the one I'm talking about.  It begins, and rarely lets up, for a very long time.  This pattern augments the uneasy atmosphere -- already occupied with several tension-filled segments -- quite markedly IMO.

#49 of 121 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,347 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking about picking out the original series of outer limits. I wanted to get people's feedback if this would be a good purchased.

#50 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 02:05 AM

Younger,

I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up, because the series is just that good.  But keep your sales receipt or invoice printout, because this is the set that I had to return twice before I got a copy that was excellent.  The double-sided discs are a pain, and you really don't have any guarantee that the DVD set you get will work fine.  Best wishes with your purchase.

#51 of 121 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted July 06 2010 - 04:10 PM

Do NOT go another day without adding this brilliant series to your collection, Younger.  Easily one of the greatest TV shows ever.

#52 of 121 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 568 posts

Posted July 07 2010 - 03:00 AM

I have the two season sets that were originally released. Season 1 has more episodes than season 2, which may not matter if you buy the complete series set. There are excellent episodes in both seasons. If you like Twilight Zone (original) and/or One Step Beyond, you may like Outer Limits, too. Having said that, Outer Limits is unique and stands on its own. It is an excellent series and was one of my first purchases of TV on DVD.

The discs are double sided and troublesome. I don't know if the complete series set is any better in that regard.

#53 of 121 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,649 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted July 08 2010 - 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by younger1968 

Hi all,

I am thinking about picking out the original series of outer limits. I wanted to get people's feedback if this would be a good purchased.

I would say it's a "no brainer".  I only got to watch occasionally when it was originally on TV and was very pleased when I purchased the set to find it held up very well.

As others have said, make sure you purchase from a vendor with generous return/replacement policies as you may need it.  My "Set 1" was OK but it took a replacement on "Set 2" to get disks that would play.  Based on the descriptions I've read (and the disk count) the "Complete Box Set" version (or the 3 "sets") is exactly the same as the 2 sets, just in a single box at a better price.

#54 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 04:22 AM

I think everyone has already said it well, go for it and get the Outer Limits! The original Outer Limits is a very unique and excellent series. If you're a sci-fi fan, you'll really enjoy it!

However, I wonder how well it plays for someone younger. Many of us who love this series were kids when we first saw the series, so we have fond memories of it. To a modern audience, they may not be as impressed. If you look past the rubber masks and optical effects, there are still very powerful stories there. Some very straight forward sci-fi to the allegorical. There are some shows I just love for the ideas, regardless of what the original producers thought of as failings in the effects or writing or acting. Behold Eck! for example.

What might be the perfect Outer Limits for me is Demon with the Glass Hand which everyone feels is one of the best shows ever. Soldier is a great one as is The Man Who was Never Born and The Bellero Shield with two great early performances by Martin Landau. And the aforementioned A Feasibility Study.

#55 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 08:39 AM

Nelson,

Those are excellent points.  Part of the reason that I was so very terrified the first time I saw the show was because I was five years old at the time.  My recollection when watching the show back in 1963 is that my parents had no idea what it was at first.  Then, I saw it again when I was six while my father was visiting his best friend.  I tagged along for the ride, and then watched some television in the other room.  I was lucky enough to hear that voice.  The voice of Vic Perrin was (and still is to some extent) haunting for me.

BTW, the very first episode I ever saw of TOL was The Sixth Finger.  And at the time I saw it, I didn't know who J. S. Bach was, mind you. ;)  Little did I know that this Bach would become one of my top three all-time favorite composers, and that his music would occupy a good many of my thoughts throughout my life.  I also did not know at the time that the man playing the evolved being would star in his own show just a few years later, and that it would be quite the nifty show at that. :)

#56 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 09:13 AM

You mean Edward Mulhare in Knight Rider? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Yeah, The Sixth Finger was a really good one!

#57 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

You mean Edward Mulhare in Knight Rider? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Yeah, The Sixth Finger was a really good one!

Nelson,

LOL.  I was thinking of another show and another actor (the one who 'evolved'), but yours works as well. :)

#58 of 121 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 06:56 AM

Nelson,

I was watching and listening to an episode of Dark Shadows the other day, and something I heard in it was very similar to a passage I've heard in the TOL episode "Nightmare."  I don't think this can be the same music, but I'm going to have to listen to both to be certain.  It is heard at different points throughout the TOL episode.  I think one of these is during the time that one of the POWs is being questioned by the interrogator from inside the locked cell room.  (It may be during the portion where the prisoner 'sees' his mother.)  The similarity is eerie to say the least.  I was reminded of it when listening to the 8-CD set of Dark Shadows: Complete Soundtrack Music Collection (Orland Park, Illinois: MPI Home Video, 2006) yesterday.  As both shows were on ABC, I haven't ruled out the possibility that this particular sound cue used on Dark Shadows is stock vocabulary from an earlier episode of TOL.

Okay, here's the cue from TOL.  It occurs around 8:46 as the camera is on James Shigeta while he walks slowly toward the others.  The passage continues for a short time:

I'll try to post the cue from Dark Shadows if I can find it.  But I suspect that I will have to stumble upon it while watching episodes of Dark Shadows as it didn't have any startling visual imagery associated with it that I can recall.  I wish I had written down the track listing from the CD collection when I was listening to this yesterday.

#59 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 04:42 AM

Scott,

I have never watched Dark Shadows, so I don't know it. I did know of it and saw short bits on TV in the late 60's.

And I have not seen Nightmare for a long time! It wasn't a top episode show for me. But the alien did make an impression! So I will have to re-view that episode and look for that music. I wouldn't be surprised if one influenced the other. Ot it was a direct recycled use of it on Dark Shadows.

#60 of 121 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted August 03 2010 - 05:04 AM

I just watched that Outer Limits sequence you linked to above.

That was some pretty cool music! It sounds very much in the same vocabulary to the other music that was written for the show. Similar notes and instruments played in a slightly different order! I don't know how to properly describe how music is constructed, but that's my best way to describe it! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif And it sounds familiar enough to make me wonder if I heard it before in one other OL episode. Perhaps Controlled Experiment has a similar take on that piece.

And that was pretty neat to see the actor who played Lawrence Marvick in that episode.