What's new

Paradigm Monitor Speakers Owner pls chip in your thoughts (1 Viewer)

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of upgrading my receiver.

what receiver you guys using? (owners of paradigm monitor series speakers) and also let me know briefly how you felt about the sound quality.

my speaker setup are monitor 7, mini, cc270, svs 25-31pci
room size is 14'x12', carpet floor.
50% movie and 50% music.
no budget yet but will try to look for the cheapest avail.

thanks

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I have Monitor 9, ADP 370, CC 370 and PW2200. I am using a Marantz SR6300. I have nothing but good things to say about my system. Although, someday I would like to upgrade to the Studio series.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
A very popular combo has been Rotel + Paradigm so you could go for the RSX-1055 or whatever new model they come out w/ shortly.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am running a Yamaha RX-V2400 with my Monitor 7, CC-350, predecessor to the 370, Mini-Monitors, and PW-2200. This is my second Yamaha digital receiver and I have been very pleased with this combination.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I was using a Denon 3803 with my Minis, CC-370 ans Titans. I think it was a good match. The Denon has a fairly netural sound that let the natural detail of the Monitors come out. I have now moved up to Studios up front and moved the Minis to the rear and I am still very happy.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I used to run Pio Elite (older stuff) with my MK7se3's. (older version of the Mon. 7's).
To me it was warm and full bodied, if you get what I mean.

A friend of mine runs newer Pio. Elite with his and it sounds similar, (room variances aside). Although he has the Mon 7's with the titanium tweeter which sounds brighter to me.

Alot of dealers run Rotel with Paradigms in the show rooms that I have been in, and I have always liked that sound.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I run Monitor 7's v2, Mini Monitors v2, CC370 v2 and a PW2200, using a Denon 1802.

I've heard the 1803, and in my experience it was identical acoustically, but it'd be worth checking it out yourself.

Some people find this combo a little bright, but I personally find it detailed, and prefer it this way, but as usual, your milage may vary.

Either way, I'd recommend looking into the Denon 1603, 1803, or the bit pricier 2803, to match with your speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Had 5s with a 370 fed by a Marantz 6200 for a few years. Very good for the price I paid, but never really gave me what I wanted in terms of music presentation. I listened to the 7s, 9s and then the Studios and decided that Paradigm was not my upgrade path. Now that I've heard the signatures though, I could reconsider...:D

Note that the CC270 does not match the 7s, it goes with the Peformance line.

I am using Monitor 9's, CC370 and Titans for surrounds on a Yamaha RXV496. No complaints. I need to upgrade the Titans to Monitor 3's for DVD-A suround music tho.

-Steve

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I got Monitor 7's as fronts, CC370 as my centre, and Energy Take 2.2's as rears (will upgrade to Mini's for rears when i get the chance or $$$$ :)). My Denon 1803 sounds very very detaild with the M7's and CC370. At first it was too "bright" but after 2 weeks of breaking in the speakers everything is smooth and warm. My firends are now in awe when they come over to watch movies. The only complaint I have is in the bass dept. I'm not sure if it's the Denon or Paradigms but the subwoofer does fill that void quite well (as much as a low end sub can anyways).

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
"The only complaint I have is in the bass dept...but the subwoofer does fill that void quite well (as much as a low end sub can anyways). "

Have you compared the 7s to the 9s, and do you think the 9s would fill the void???

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
it seems like for music, H/K is better and
for movie, Yammi and Pio are better option.

i think i'll demo H/K 325 from my friend and Denon 3802 first before getting the Pio Elite and Yammi for demo.

Erik.Ha: i am not too worried about 7 or 9. i have my SVS:D if i want some bass.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit

I did try out the m9's and while they did fill that void in the bass dept, they did not sound quite as nice as the m7's for the mids. I prefer solid clear mids over extra bass. besides, i really wanna get a SVS sub to replace my cheap Costco d-box one of these days. the svs should take all of my bass worries away :).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 9s sounded a bit boomy to me. I felt the 11s were better, but then you are close enough to the price range of Studio 60s.

When I did my listening demo of speakers I was not looking at the brand or model and just listened with my back to the selection in the room. They were using a Dennon receiver (model unknown) for power. After eliminating several speakers and narrowing it down to 3 choices, I then looked at what I had, Mission towers (forget the #) 'Digm Mon9 and Studio 40's. Missions were not bad but liked all the Digms highs better. The studios were very smooth but lacked the punch of the 9's plus I'd have to buy stands for the $tudio$. The 9's were the ones (the Mon7's lacked the lower mid punch that I liked) and I was surprised because I had full intention of buying into the performance line to match the Titans that I had.
At home, things changed slightly. I am using a Yamaha RXV496 receiver that is lower power than the Dennon and has a brighter sound ( I really noticed this with the Titans when they came home!) and it reduced the punch that the 9's had in the demo. I think now if I had bought the Studios, they would have sounded very flat and almost anorexic due to the small amp. But this combo (amp/speaker) works and I never felt the disappointment that I had with the Titan on the Yamaha. The Titan is a great speaker but needs something other than a lowend Yamaha driving it for great lower mid range bass.

Let you ears guide you, then your wallet. Wives will learn to cope.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Thanks, that's what I was wondering... I compared the two and what stood out like a sore thumb was the difference in the bass. The salesman said "If you have a sub, that will cover that." Wasn't sure if that was true or not... I think I'll re-listen to both paying attention to the mids before I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks