-

Photo
- - - - -

Buck Rogers (TV) seems to be on tap- still no sign of Rockford or Kolchak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:19 PM

TVshowsondvd is reporting that the first season of Buck Rogers should see a release this year (25th anniversary).
a lightweight show, imo but fun.
i'll be picking it up, but i'm still wondering where properties like Rockford Files (a truly GREAT show) and Kolchak (which should have just as large a fanbse as BR to justify sales) are.

hell, Rockford was even 'announced' as coming back in 2002.
odd.

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:45 PM

Next thing you know, we'll have DVD sets of Tales of the Gold Monkey, Manimal, AutoMan, and Homeboys in Outer Space. Posted Image

Just kidding, I love the old Buck Rogers TV show. The "Space Vampire" episode was great, as was the episode where Buck turned into a goat-man.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   William Waits

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:55 PM

I guess the obvious question is what about the theatrical film...? It would seem stupid to release the TV stuff without the feature film, as it was the predacessor to the TV series...

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:02 PM

if Jim Carrey develops Manimal for the big screen you can bet your Burger King Star Wars glasses we'll get a season set of it.

wonder what the tie-in is going to be for Buck?
a new film for the sci fi channel?
a re-imagining of the series?
Gil Gerard planning to commit a high profile felony?

am i wrong in thinking that the long-time fans of these properties are going to be the biggest percentage of a given sets sales- irrespective of whether there is a new property to tie in to it?

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:14 PM

Quote:
Next thing you know, we'll have DVD sets of Tales of the Gold Monkey, Manimal, AutoMan, and Homeboys in Outer Space.

I'll take Tales of the Gold Monkey and Automan right now, where do I send money???

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:21 PM

I saw this on tvshowsondvd.com today and I'm really excited to hear it's finally coming to DVD. I was/am a big fan of the show.

However, as far as the film goes...are they going to release the theatrical version or the "TV Pilot"? The theatrical version has a "James Bond-esque" credit sequence as well as end credits in a scroll format.

When it was shown on TV, there were a few alterations such as removal of the credit sequence (replaced with the TV opening), some racey dialogue was altered, and a scene where Tigerman was apparently killed (or severely injured) was removed (so they could bring him back). The TV version also added a nice epilogue that showed Buck in his apartment and Wilma and Dr. Huer request that he join them officially. It acts as a very nice closing.

So, which one will we see? I would like to have both, or a combination of the two...but that seems unlikely.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:28 PM

Again, I wish Universal would start releasing already-announced TV sets before adding new ones. Or, at least, they could let us know they are still on tap. We know Quantum Leap is coming, but what about Emergency?

Of course, if they were announcing Airwolf instead of Buck Rogers, I wouldn't mind.

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:48 PM

Quote:
wonder what the tie-in is going to be for Buck?
a new film for the sci fi channel?
a re-imagining of the series?
Gil Gerard planning to commit a high profile felony?

The pitch on the highly anticipated feature film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, coming June 11, was "Buck Rogers Meets Indiana Jones." More than one media report has mentioned the Buck Rogers reference when discussing the new film. Sky Captain is being released by Paramount, but--even though the Buck Rogers reference is to the character and not just the TV series--why not (in Universal's view) capitalize on an old property that's getting free publicity? It doesn't hurt that it's the show's 25th anniversary either.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 04:31 PM

we need Kolchak!

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 06:10 PM

I have fond memories of Buck Rogers so I'll be picking it up when it comes to DVD. Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
biddibiddibiddi

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   William Waits

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
you can bet your Burger King Star Wars glasses

Dude, I still got mine... I can't believe it... I had completely forgotten about them...

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 01:49 AM

great news about BR ?

always loved that show
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 03:28 AM

Maybe they'll release the theatrical version on a seperate DVD (ala Galactica) and include the altered TV version in the season set?

The theatrical version of the pilot is already on VHS.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 03:49 AM

I'd like to see the Jamie Lee Curtis episode again. Didn't realize it was her at the time.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,522 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 28 2004 - 05:04 AM

This was my favorite show as a grade schooler so I would definitely buy out of nostalgia. Not sure how it holds up though.

The space vampire episode is one of my favorites, as is the one where Buck goes undercover and infiltrates a ring of criminals. The mutated guy who could walk through walls was awesome! And IIRC Frank Gorshin was the leader?

My other favorite was when the telekinetic dwarves were curious about Col. Deering Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 05:58 AM

It doesn't hold up well. I've been watching it on Sci-Fi and it's kind of silly, moreso than Battlestar Galactica. I do love Mel Blanc doing the voice of Twiki- something I never noticed as a child.

What's the word on Sliders?

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
It doesn't hold up well.

I disagree - at least with regards to season one (season two was IMHO really awful). But you have to be in the right mood to watch it (a few drinks does the trick). Of course, the best episodes by far are the ones featuring the gorgeous Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala. Posted Image

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,895 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Of course, the best episodes by far are the ones featuring the gorgeous Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala.
I'm with you there, brother Posted Image Can't wait to get this one...

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 07:29 AM

I think it’s very unfair to say the show doesn’t hold up. I have watched the show recently on Sci Fi too, and have enjoyed the shows I have seen. You have to keep in mind that the show is not in caliber with “Star Trek”. The original “Star Trek” still stands the test of time because of its creative storytelling, excellent writing, great characters and a brilliant cast. When you watch “Star Trek” today, you have to look past the poor special effects and see the show for its core elements. You pretty much have to do the same thing with “Buck Rogers”, although to a greater extent.

“Buck Rogers” is very much a product of it’s time. The show is set 500 years in the future (from 1979), but many of the styles of the 70’s are carried over. I suppose that’s somewhat natural. The production designs on the show were poor. The sets were sometimes laughably bad, just look at any given hanger bay in any random episode. However, you get the feeling while watching the show (as an adult), that there is a really great show just screaming to get out. I really like the core cast of the three leads in the first season (Buck, Wilma and Dr. Huer). I think they all did a great job in playing their parts. The show however falls short of greatness, but not for a lack of potential. I think this case is most evident in early shows of the first season. There are some great moments where you really feel for Buck. He’s a guy from the 20th Century who now has to adjust in the 25th. He’ll mention a story about some old NASSA buddy and reflect a sort of sadness in the life he left behind. It’s usually a quick line or two before some bimbo walks into the shot, but those moments are great…and sadly too rare. There are a lot of little things like that though. There are also some downright good episodes. Bottom line is that the show had heart, and you can see it. You have to look past the bad sets, the bad costumes and sometimes the bad acting…but its there.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 08:12 AM

I don't think it holds up either, but I may buy it anyway.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow