What's new

Directors The Great Superbowl Bet Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Last year, Mr. John Rice and myself engaged in a superbowl bet. While he took much ridicule from myself and the forum members for not living up to the bet, he did have legitimate reasons for not owning up.

I thought the idea was a unique and good way to bet on the superbowl. For those unaware, there is no money involved, only humiliation. The idea is simple, two parties pick their teams, and the loser is forced to go and watch a film (I think at the theaters is even more humiliating....but something on DVD would also work) that they would under no other circumstances watch.

Last years film in question was Kangaroo Jack. This year, there is even a better choice....You Got Served. (of course this is in my opinion....and any who would like to see this film should take no offense)

So I thought why not start a thread, and see if anyone else wants to play along too. If you want in, either find an adversary,
or post that you want in. Also post which team you favor. Any one new to come along (with an opposing team) can challenge anyone already in. Once two people have paired up, they then should decide on the film the loser must view.

To avoid any confusion, I'd ask that anyone playing abide by the following rules.

The Rules

1. So no one has to shuffle their schedule around, the loser will have until March 1 to complete their "humiliation."

2. The two contestants will decide which movie the loser must watch. The film in question may differ between combatants (In example....If George and I went head to head and he lost...he might have to watch Do the Right Thing and if I lost, I may have to watch The Apartment.)

3. The two individuals must decide upon any points given between themselves. I think when you have the two top teams in the sport going head to head there should be no points, but if the two in question would like to honor the spread then it's up to them.

4. The loser must come back here and write a review (as big or small as they wish) of the film.

Even if you don't follow football, or don't care about it, feel free to join in. It's all in fun.

The Combatants

1.brian Kissinger taking the Panthers and risking Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights
vs
Brad Porter taking the Patriots and risking You Got Served
(no points)

2. Dome Vongvises taking the Patriots
vs
Nick Sievers taking the Panthers

3. Angelo.M taking the Panthers (and the points)
vs
????

4. Alex Spindler taking the Panthers
vs
????

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Hmm, sounds like a blast. Don't follow football, tho. What are the two teams playing in the Superbowl?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Ok i'll play, but I have no idea what teams are playing (I don't even know the proper rules for American Football).

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
The teams playing this year are The New England Patriots and The Carolina Panthers. I haven't bothered to check the line, but I believe that the Panthers are the underdog.

I, personally, don't have a favorite of the two. New England seems like the safe bet, but I don't think too many people thought Carolina would have come this far. They could be the Marlins of football.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Alright, curiosity got me to go and check. New England are a 7 point favorite. For those in the unaware, that would be a touchdown and extra point.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I'll take the Panthers with the points or the Patriots straight up. My opponent must watch Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights on opening weekend.

Who wants some? :D

Brad

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I haven't a chance to speak with the Ricer yet, but I've seen he's posted since this thread's inception. So I'm guessing he doesn't want in.

I'm your huckleberry.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Previously on Quotes from Brian Kissinger...

So it's You Got Served for me if the Panthers win or Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights for you if the Patriots win? I presume a bargain matinee viewing is satisfactory?

You only accepted because you are already dying to see DD:HN, right? :p)

Brad

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Dear Mr. Porter,

Let me address a few things here.

1. Between Served and Dirty 2, I'd rather see Dirty, so no problem there. Plus, my (insert colorful metaphor here....with an ing) wife will most likely want to see that anyway. Of course, I'd never have went with her before, but should I lose and suggest we go, she'll think I'm being open-minded and respectful of her wants and all that crap. So I score some points.

2. It is of no matter about the above scenario anyway, as I'm undefeated in these type of situations, and I have the utmost confidence in the Panthers.

3. Sometimes when I feel sexy, I like to wear lacy underpants.

So as you can see, I do not fear you or the Patriots.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
My major concern with this wager is the following:

You Got Served opens this Friday.

Super Bowl XXXXXXVXVXVXVIXVIXIVIXVIXIV is on Sunday.

You Got Served will most likely be out of theaters here locally before the following Saturday, and I can't miss any matinee time from work next week to catch it on a weekday. Could I be forced to pay full price for an evening showing?!?!?!?!

I just hope that I don't get caught up in some sort of impromptu dance-off after the film. I've already hurt so many good people with my dancing. :frowning:

Brad

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter

:laugh:

Anyone else interested?

Nick and Mark, you showed some interest. Would you two like to pair off?

Dome, Angelo, Jack? Anyone want in? Remember, the movie is of your opponent's choice. It may be something entirely different than what we have already.

And, it doesn't have to be a theatrical film here. Something on DVD is fine. Someone needs to get George in here and make him watch Lawrence of Arabia, or get SteveGon and make him watch Armageddon. :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'll take the Panthers and the points, if someone's ready.

Sung to the tune of, well, I'm not sure...

Stand and cheer for the Panthers
Stand and cheer for the team
The pride of both Carolinas
In the city of the Queen... Carolina!

'Cause nothing could be finer
Than to be in Carolina
For a Panthers football game

From the mountains to the ocean
Carolina! Carolina! Best of 'em all
From the endzone to the endzone
Carolina! Carolina! Carry the ball

'Cause nothing could be finer
Than to be in Carolina
For a Panthers football game!...

Don't ask me how I remember that. Saw them play the Rams in Charlotte back in '96. Nice stadium.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
So it looks like we have Dome vs Nick here.

I'll let you two decide if any points are to be given.

And no Nick, the film can be anything your heart desires.

Anyone wanna give 7 points to Angelo. The Patriots have a tough defense. Not a bad bet.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'll join in. I'll take the underdogs (Panthers), but the film that would have to be watched has to be appropriately wretched. Since there isn't anything in theaters that seems valid, I'll go ahead and suggest Baby Geniuses. I suspect only those especially confident in a Pat win will accept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks