-

Photo
- - - - -

HTPC with two monitors?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 tom derby

tom derby

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 04:35 AM

I have my HTPC display run through my reciever and to my projector. Is there a way to have the HTPC display output to two different display devices? I have seen people who have a little display in with their audio components. I would like this kind of setup too so i don't have to turn the projector on to play MP3s and such.

#2 of 4 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 06:31 AM

I have this kind of setup. I use a dual display video card. (most come this way now) One cable goes to an LCD monitor, and the other goes to my projector.

Then I just have video overlay set for the projector so the video only shows up on it. Very simple to set up.

I use a VGA switchbox to connect my Xbox to the projector. So in actuallity the output of the switch box goes to the projector. The second VGA from the HTPC goes to connection "A" on the switchbox, and a VGA breakout cable goes from the Xbox to the connection "B" on the switchbox.

Hopefully that isn't confusing. Posted Image But those are two options for setting up just a dual monitor system, or a dual monitor + another video source.

#3 of 4 tom derby

tom derby

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 07:14 AM

i think i understand but the video overlay part confused me. I want to be able to view them both simultaneously. Basically i want the second display to always show the computer display and the projector to show what ever input is selected. If i get a dual monitor video card will that output to both displays simultaneously?

#4 of 4 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 11:16 AM

Tom - it depends upon the capabilities your video card. An easy way to display the same image on two monitors is to set the video card to mirror the output to both monitors. The gotcha is that most video cards cannot display the video overlay when in mirror mode.

So... try setting your video card to mirror the output and see if you can play a DVD via the overlay.

-greg