Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Metal Slug to Xbox

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JamesH

JamesH

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 09:59 PM

http://www.gamespot.....s_6087000.html

Looks like SNK finally got fed up with Sony's draconian 2D policies and is bringing Metal Slug to the Xbox instead. I'm glad that it's coming out, but also annoyed that it could have been released months ago if Sony had just approved it.

Does anyone know what rationale Sony has behind their backwards policies? The main advantage the PS2 has over the Xbox is a large enough userbase to support niche games, so it seems foolish to not even allow them to be released.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 11:39 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what rationale Sony has behind their backwards policies?

What, making publishers offer value for money with older 2D conversions instead of allowing them to shovel them out at $49.99? The discussions I saw suggested that the "spate" of 2D games recently blocked were blocked from release at full price - Sony would allow them at a budget price, but the publishers involved weren't interested.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:50 AM

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! I love the Metal Slug series...damn this is good news. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JamesH

JamesH

Supporting Actor

• 664 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
What, making publishers offer value for money with older 2D conversions instead of allowing them to shovel them out at $49.99? The discussions I saw suggested that the "spate" of 2D games recently blocked were blocked from release at full price - Sony would allow them at a budget price, but the publishers involved weren't interested.

http://www.ebgames.c...duct/238096.asp

The game has always retailed for $39.99, please do a bit of research and become informed before replying(still waiting for your reply to the Links thread Posted Image )

Even if the game was $49.99, I always thought that it was up to the buyer and seller of a product to determine its worth in a free market economy, but perhaps that could be dismissed as nothing more than crazy talk. Metal Slug may perhaps only sell 30,000 copies, and the revenue has to come from somewhere. Sony is starting to look a bit like the old-school, monopolistic Nintendo from times gone by.

Edit: gotta love EB's advertising spiel

Quote:
The 2-D Action Game Metal Slug 3 far exceeds the previous Metal Slug title, which highly charmed players by the supreme dot graphic arts!

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 01:27 AM

Quote:
The game has always retailed for $39.99, please do a bit of research and become informed before replying

And the same goes for you - where did I say Metal Slug on the PS2 retailed for $49.99? What I said was that recently Sony have blocked 2D titles from being sold at $49.99.

Which, y'know, you kind of backed me up on with your link.

Quote:
Even if the game was $49.99, I always thought that it was up to the buyer and seller of a product to determine its worth in a free market economy

Thanks for the slam, James. As it happens, Microsoft, Sony et al have complete control over giving out rights to publish on their platform. For example, Microsoft allegedly doesn't allow any new titles to be launched at a price under $19.99. Sony, allegedly, don't like retro conversions at full price. Whether you choose to believe that or now, well, that's upto you.

Quote:
(still waiting for your reply to the Links thread )

Sorry my schedule doesn't fit yours.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 03 2004 - 05:26 AM

Shamelessly stolen from the Neo-Geo.com forum (great site for SNK fans):

Quote:
Before I post the email I received from Ben Herman this morning, let me say that I have hit my last straw with the PS2. I will still play the games I have (Strikers 1945 being one of them), but I will not buy another PS2 game. Finito!

From Ben Herman (www.snkneogeousaconsumer.com): (I had asked if Metal Slug 3 and SS5 were still coming to the PS2?)

"No on MS3 for PS2. Sony has not approved. SS5 is doubtful as well.
Sony is reviewing our SS5 game."

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow