What's new

Not much talk on Arcam stuff here? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
The guy I bought my speakers from last year (Paradigm 60's, 20's, CC v2) was showing me some Arcam stuff last time I was visiting the shop. It sounded very sweet (and of course was very expensive) so I thought I'd come here to read about the different models available, but hardly anything in a search. Is this not a good choice when considering an upgrade? I didn't catch the model numbers, unfortunately. I've been thinking of upgrading to seperates or an advanced receiver from my Onkyo 575tx lately. I didn't hear them matched with Paradigms, but rather Totems (he's working with a different shop now). Has anyone heard Arcam gear hooked to Paradigm ref. speakers?

Thanks!!

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard the Paradigm Studio 20s driven by an Arcam integrated amp and a DV78 dvd player playing cd through its analog outputs at a dealers. It sounded great, but since I do not own the speakers, I cannot say how much of my experience is attributable to the electronics. The Arcam receiver is a little short on power so I do not know if it would be a good choice for your system. I have little experience with it and none driving Paradigms. I too am puzzled by the lack of feedback regarding Arcam. I posted a question on AVS Forum regarding the new DV78 dvd player and received zero responses.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is very good stuff, but a bit more expensive than average, so feedback will be less common.

I've heard Arcam with v3 Studios as well as the Signatures. Good match:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott_N

Second Unit
I've heard the Arcam AV8 pre/pro and the P7 amp and I thought it one of the best HT setups i've ever heard. Very musical also.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Arcam AVR200 (with an AVR300 on order) and an Arcam DV88 Plus DVD/CD player. I'm playing it thru Dynaudio Audience speakers in a 5.1 setup.

The sound is terrific for both HT and music.

And I do not agree that it's underpowered. I can drive my system (in a 14' x22' x8.5' room) to very loud volume levels without distortion.

If you check out http://www.avforums.com (An U.K AV site) you'll find a dedicated Arcam forum where the Arcam CEO and engineers drop in on discussions.

Really great stuff, very musical.

FYI: the AVR200 lists for $1199. The forthcoming AVR300 (7.1 PLIIx/DTS ES/DD EX) wil list for $1995.

Oh, and I also have an older Arcam Alpha 10 Int. Amp for playing my LPs (on a Linn Sondek, with Linn Sara speakers). Also terrific sounding.

Dean

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dean, I stand corrected on the AVR200:emoji_thumbsup: I based my opinion on the power rating and price which made me suspect it would not be able to drive the Paradigms with their lower impedence. What is the impedence and efficiency of your Dynaudio speakers?

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator

The Dynaudios Audience are all 4 Ohms. You can get more detailed info about them at their web site: Dynaudio

I have the Audience 72 (Front), 62 (Rear), 122C (Center), and SUB-30A. When I get the new Arcam, I'll add a pair of Audience 52 for the side surrounds.

Dean

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paradigms are not low impedance, they are all 8 Ohm nominal, and they are all fairly efficient. They do like lots of power though.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hmm... thanks guys, we didn't discuss price, and that's a bit of a limiting factor for me. I didn't realize they were on the expensive side.

Can anyone recommend a good amp and pre/pro that is closer to entry level and would sound great with my dimes and be semi-future upgradeable? I haven't set a budget really. I'd like to get it under $2500 canadian. $2000 us. preferably less than that, however.

Thanks! Sounds like great experiences, just high pricing!

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
The Arcam AVR300 at MSRP $1995US should be in your range, although it is a receiver.

It'll be available in about 2 months. It has just about anything you'd need: 90 WPC x 7, 7.1 PLIIx, DTS ES, DD EX, component switching, and all kinds of management features, upgradability via RS232. It draws more from the highy aclaimed Arcam AV8 pre/pro than it does it's little brother AVR200. I believe it also has pre-outs if you want to add an extra outboard amp later.

If you must have seperates I don't have a recommendation in the $2K range. I'm trading my AVR200 in for the AVR300. The 300 is definitely something to consider.

Dean

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in the AVR300 Dean mentioned but find no info on it on the Audiophile Systems web site. Curious as to whether it can drive my Martin Logan speakers (Aerius i and Cinema) with their comparatively low impedence.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Arcam hasn't officially announced the AVR300, but it is for real. I've been told by my dealer to expect my order in March/April. Arcam says Q2 (April). I hear the US will get the first shipments.

The AVR300 will have an auto-impedance switching amp and I suppose it'll drive your MLs just fine.

Here are some AVR300 Pictures (first two on the page).

Dean

PeterCB

Agent
Dean, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the AVR300 too. Although I liked the sound of the 200, I had to pass on it because it did not meet my video switching needs (my Loewe HDTV will only accept one component video input).

One thing that concerns me about the 300 is the 4ohm/8ohm speaker impedance switch on the back (all the way on the right side in the middle). Most receivers that can truly handle a 4 ohm load don't have this switch, which I believe lowers the rail voltage resulting in lower power output.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter

Jason_Paik

Grip
Arcam tends to have a lower profile on forums, perhaps because it is not one of "the-usual-suspects" brands, its Diva 100 and 200 receiver had less bells and whistles than competitor 5.1 a/v receivers, and the price-point was above what budgets would allow. The upcoming release of the 300 will address what some people feel is Arcam's not keeping up with the latest surround processor trends in the marketplace.

For those whose audio needs include both 2-channel music listening and the demands of HT, the Arcam is a fine product, I think. Personally I am interested in going the separates route, and if $ was there I would go Arcam's FMJ series.

My CAN$0.02

J.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Jason...

I agree the Arcam AVR200 doesn't have the bells and whistles of competitors, but I chose it because it's sound quality is vastly superior. When I bought it I also heard the Marantz SR 9000 series (nearly 3x the cost of the Arcam), and the Arcam blew it away sonically. Granted the Marantz has lots more features, sound quality is more important to some.

But the AVR300 will provide the best of both worlds. Sound quality, advanced features, and upgradability.

Agree with you on the FMJ stuff. I have a Arcam DV88 Plus, but would have gotten the FMJ DV27 if my budget for a DVD player went to that price point.

Dean

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

Arcam tells me the power output will be the same for 4 and 8 ohms (90 WPC x 7).

Also keep in mind, the pictures are of a pre-prod unit. I was told the amp would be auto-sensing, so maybe the switch will go away.

I'm not worried about it. My AVR200 drives my 4 ohm speakers quite well. I can't imagine it's big brother would be anything but better power-wise.

Dean

Jason_Paik

Grip
While risking the opening of a debate on this forum, I think "bells and whistles" are highly overrated, and often come at the sacrifice of the accurate reproduction of the information on the source media. I like to think that Arcam is one of a handful of companies which is bridging the divide between "audiophiles" and HT enthusiasts, and at a price which is affordable. Time will tell.

J.

Dean Wette

Stunt Coordinator
Constructive debate is good, but I couldn't agree with you more anyway. I'm upgrading my AVR200 to the 300, not specifically for the bells and whistles, but for it's audio improvements drawn from the success of the AV8. I'm also doing it to have a system that takes advantage of my growing collection of DTS ES & DD EX titles.

Had it been available when I got the 200, it's what I would have gotten in the first place. But since the 200 will continue as a current model, my dealer is giving me a great tradein allowance.

If the 300 were only about bells and whistles compared to the 200, I probably wouldn't bother.

Dean

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Wow this AVR300 sounds like the perfect solution! Too bad it's not out yet. At least this offers time to save. How does the Arcam compare to similar offerings from Rotel and NAD?

Dean, what do you think was passed down from the AV8 on this new receiver audio-wise?

Jason_Paik

Grip
Paul, I know Dean will reply to your question on the AV8. On your question of comparisons to NAD and Rotel, all I can suggest is that you audition each one, even if it means visiting a few dealers. Hopefully one dealer will have 2 products (My local dealer carries both Arcam and Rotel, for example.) The amplification stage, IMHO, is so critical that you need to listen, listen, listen!

I'm sure that when they get pricing, Arcam's Canadian distributor, Emerald Audio, will have MSRP for the 300 on their www site. Their site lists six dealers in Alberta.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks