2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 BrianWH

BrianWH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I am soooo close to finishing my HT setup (its never really finished I guess) with Boston CR series mains and surrounds and a VR500 sub. But now I am getting antsy waiting for a used Boston CRC or CR2 to present itself at a bargain price, so in the meantime...

I have a Boston MicroMedia 2.1 system (came with my old Gateway PC in 1997) with two full-range (200Hz-20kHz) 3-inch satellites that I could easily wire in a series to the center-channel line from my AVR. I believe the sats are rated at 8 ohms each, giving me 16 if wired in series. Is this bad for my amp in any way? Bad for the speakers?

Thanks for the help,
Brian

#2 of 3 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:41 PM

No, isn’t bad for the amp. However, the 16-ohm load will cut the available power output by one half. That, in turn, will be divided between the two speakers. So each speaker will end up with only 25% of the original power output.

Still – can’t hurt to try. It should get you by until your speaker goes on sale.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 3 BrianWH

BrianWH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:44 PM

Since the sats are rated pretty low to begin with, this might be a blessing (less chance of damage to them).

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users