What's new

Am I the only one NOT buying TPM? (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the first 3 but thought TPM was awful - such a disappointment - as Brian said in the 'It's Out' thread, 'wasn't sure if it was Sci Fi action movie or childrens comedy or what'
Judging by the rush to track down an early release copy, with the post itself now at 4 pages already, I know I'm in the minority.... but am I totally alone in not buying this film?
------------------
stewart

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
No, matey, you're not.
I'm never pulled in by "event" releases such as this. I bought The Abyss and T2:UE, both fine films, but not the kind I will be returning to again and again. The same is true of TPM.
I will be saving my pennies for Criterion's Haxan and The Lady Eve, two priceless films in what look to be priceless editions.
Haxan review
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on October 07, 2001 at 01:45 PM]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No, you are not alone. I have no desire to buy this film. It was quite simply the worst of the entire series. A lot of people are complaining about the derivative nature of "Final Fantasy". TPM was nothing but an updated version of the "THE LAST STARFIGHTER" in my book.
------------------

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You're definitely not alone. I've grown to dislike this film so much that at the recent Studio Day, where it was being shown, I could only stand to watch the action scenes NOT involving that ludicrous Lucas creation, Jar Jar, and Lucas' miserable choice for a child "actor", Jake Lloyd.
------------------

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like the film, so I'm not interested in the DVD. I get the feeling, though, that there are plenty of folks who are planning a purchase just on the technical aspects (to use it as a demo disc).

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I never saw this film, I'm gonna have to pass on TPM. I've never been so uninterested and indifferent about such a major release in all my life.
...and since I would be hard pressed to choose between sitting through any of the first three Star Wars films again or having a root canal, I guess I'll be passing on these DVD's as well (that is if Lucas ever actually allows them to be released before the format is obsolete).
Jon
------------------
Don't you wonder sometimes
'Bout sound and vision

The Thin White Duke

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I agree that this was the weakest in the series and I'm not as excited about this release as the true new releases for the upcoming season (Let's put it this way, I'm more excited about "Swordfish" and "Pearl Harbor"). But, being an avid DVD collector, there's no way I can pass on this title. Fortunately, one movie isn't going to break the bank for me.
Elbert

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The video isn't even demo quality, and still people are acting like lemmings and jumping over cliffs to get this film probably because it has the name Star Wars attached to it. I'm shaking my head as I type this.
This film is like Alien 3 and Alien 4 in the Alien saga. Pure crap. I consider Alien and Aliens the only films in the series, and I bought accordingly.
If Lucas would put out a much improved special edition of the original trilogy without all the terrible tampering like Greedo shooting first and the added "comic relief" scenes with Jabba in ANH, and ACTUALLY cleaned up the optical matte lines and digitally re-scored the music for at least ANH via John Williams this time around, and Ep. 2 & 3 redeem themselves, I might have this Star Wars series in my collection:
Star Wars 2,3,4,5,6.
If Lucas can't come out of his creative slump and doesn't re-release the original, untampered Trilogy (at least restored) to make up for it then I may just write off Star Wars altogether. A very hard thing for me to have to say.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on October 07, 2001 at 02:13 PM]

Derek J

Grip
No you are not alone in this Stewart. I thought that TPM totally sucked and that it was a complete departure from the original vision and style that made the classic trilogy so great. Not to mention that the writing was terrible, the dialogue boring and Jar Jar was the biggest mistake Lucas made. If you knew just how big a Star Wars fan I am you would know that this is a pretty bold statement. I'm not saying that that I'm completely ruling out the possibility of buying the DVD because I'd love to hear the Padracing scene on my system and I also thought some of the Lightsaber duels were allright but that's about it.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
TPM was not BAD, but wasn't GOOD either. Many things bugged me enough that it canceled out the good (Jar Jar, the Gunguns in general, the lack of story...)
I don't think I'll be getting this one at all...

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I think the first generation of audiences that watched the original trilogy have matured well beyond Lucas's vision of the prequels. Episodes 4-6 was a decent workout of our intelligence and imaginations, while TPM was more or less a children's story. Even young audiences today that didn't grow up with the original trilogy are much more mature and "have seen it" before. I respect Lucas and his story-telling abilities, but I think he should either take Episodes 2 & 3 to new heights or do something completely different with them.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
You're not the only one. I've never been a fan of any Star Wars film. No flames please.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I didn't HATE TPM, but I don't care for the film enough to buy the disc. Although I'm sure the video and audio are top notch, the extras plentiful and it's great to see Lucas finally supporting his films on DVD, it's just not for me. :)
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh no! Let's go...let's go crazy!" Prince, Purple Rain

My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
To be honest I have never been a Star Wars fan
I would prefer if FOX was releasing THE SANDLOT and the big deal was about that.
I would preferably watch The Sandlot to TPM anyday
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have absolutely no plans to purchase this great DVD.
The DVD is of course, excellent, but I really didn't like the movie.
My "2-disc DVD" money will go to Monty Python and the Holy Grail...a movie that is intentionally funny.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I'd just like to say, as a huge Star Wars fan and someone who WILL be buying The Phantom Menace, I fully respect all your opinions of the film and decisions not to buy it, I understand you. :).
-Tom

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I've never understood the fuss about any of the Star Wars movies (or Indiana Jones for that matter). So as far as buying TPM, in the immortal words of, I believe it was Mickey Rivers, "include me out."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks