Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

THE L WORD Showtime series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 11:49 AM

couldnt find a thread on it. I am enjoying this show a lot.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#2 of 30 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:35 PM

Looking forward to it on dvd but I dont have cable. Saw Mia Kirshner on one of the late night talk shows a couple weeks ago promoting it; sounds good.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 30 RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:07 PM

i watched the premiere episode....not bad...i will try and tune in again...
i prefer dead like me or family business though.

#4 of 30 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Saw Mia Kirshner on one of the late night talk shows a couple weeks ago promoting it; sounds good.

Well, for fellow "24" fans this is a bonus as on the episode that was on Sunday, you finally get to see her topless. (Probably isn't the first time though)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#5 of 30 Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:57 PM

Quote:
(Probably is the first time though)

Nope, not the first and hopefully not the last.

The show certainly satisfies my prurient interests, but I can't really say I'm enjoying the characters too much. I realize the central premise of the show is following a group of lesbians around, but that's all the show is about. Some of these gals must have at least one conversation each day that isn't directly related to their sex lives. As it's structured, the characters (except perhaps for Jenny) have no depth at all.

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#6 of 30 Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:21 PM

I don't have Showtime, but I may be getting it soon. If I did have it, I would watch this show just for Mia, as I'm a rabid fan of her's. Yesterday was actually her birthday, and I watched three of her films in her honor. She is so gorgeous, not to mention a great actress.

#7 of 30 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
Nope, not the first and hopefully not the last.

Oops, meant to say probably isn't the first time
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 30 Judy Y

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 08:21 AM

I think this last episode gave us some more depth on some of the characters as far as their friendships go. However, the Jennifer Beals character, "Bette" is the only one they have really fleshed out, at all. We don't have any background info on anyone else, but know that Bette is biracial, has an alcoholic sister who was in a band and whom she followed around when she was younger.

At this point, since we know so little about the characters, it is hard to understand their motivation for much of anything- other than sex! Hopefully, the characters will not be one dimentional too much longer.

Anyone know how many episodes will be in this "season"? Showtime seems to have a different interpretation of season length than the OTA networks.

#9 of 30 Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 11:38 AM

Come on, everyone on here talks about every single show around...but not a peep about The L Word.

13 weeks, all in HD even....

Wife likes it, and thats all I care about Posted Image

Its pretty decent and definitely ground breaking at times.

Anyone?

#10 of 30 Daniel`D

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 11:53 AM

I like this show. I'm not sure that I feel it's as ground breaking as Queer As Folk but I do like it.
Image converted to link by moderator. Please consult the signature rules for limits on image size

http://img.photobuck...nde/sincity.jpg
My DVD Collection

#11 of 30 Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 12:08 PM

Having never watched the other show I can't comment. Some may put the acting at over the top but I think its very well played and at times can be pretty true to life regardless of gender.

But I think the overall viewship for this show is probably higher for obvious reasons.

The DVD should be out soon. Its a great follow up after watching the Soprano's, I think Season 2 comes out in June.

I think the epilogue given by Bett was taped at the start of the series because it sounded like there might not be a season 2. Showtime renewed it after its second week which shows how high the ratings were.

#12 of 30 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,597 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 02:18 PM

I'm about 2 episodes behind, but some episodes have been fabulous, while others are a bit tedious, so it's been a little uneven for me.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 30 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
The DVD should be out soon. Its a great follow up after watching the Soprano's, I think Season 2 comes out in June.

How soon is soon? HBO usually takes their sweet time to put things on DVD -- how quick is showtime?

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#14 of 30 Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 08:05 AM

I really like this show. Some interesting guest star casting, too. I got a kick out of the whole Snoop Dogg-Slim Daddy thing.

#15 of 30 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
The L Word - 13 Weeks and not a peep?

Uh, yes there was -- and your thread's been merged with it. Posted Image

Quote:
how quick is showtime?
Generallly Showtime original programs are released on DVD shortly before the next season debuts (as with the upcoming Dead Like Me set). I know The L Word has been renewed, but I have no idea when the next season will air.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#16 of 30 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 08:53 AM

However, Dead Like Me is being released by MGM. Posted Image

#17 of 30 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 09:02 AM

Yes, but the release pattern is the same. They use the DVDs to promo the new season, and then they promo the DVDs when the new episodes air. Whoever releases the DVDs, it's a marketing model that seems to work.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#18 of 30 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 10:02 AM

I'd like to watch it but dont get Showtime. Perhaps if it Does comes to DVD.

#19 of 30 Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 11:14 AM

Michael,

I did search for "L Word" before I made my post, not a single item came up in the search, but I did try before I posted this.

We'll be buying the DVD set, I think it will be a big seller since not as many people have Showtime as they do HBO. The new season should start in June and according to the last ep they said "soon to be released" on DVD.

I would hope it comes out pretty soon.

#20 of 30 Pamela

Pamela

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 02:59 PM

I thought their choice in music was outstanding. Lucinda Williams, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Joan Armatrading, Liz Phair...

Their use of Rufus Wainwright's Hallelujah gave me the chills.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow