Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast HDTV - picture in picture?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 10:26 AM

Hey guys. Quick question - does Comcast HDTV allow picture-in-picture if your TV doesn't have a built-in tuner? If not, how do you achieve picture-in-picture with the box that they give you? Do you need to buy another box?

Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:33 PM

Rather you buy a little 8" TV set and place it in the corner of the bigger screen. Posted Image

Seriously I don't think it's possible to utilize PiP between OTA broadcast and cable (or cable/cable).

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 12:23 PM

Bump.. hate to do it, but does anyone have any ideas? I mean, I find it hard to believe that PiP is completely dead with the advent of HDTV (provided you don't have an internal tuner).

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   NickT

NickT

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 12:33 PM

Well, unless the cable box has more than one tuner, then the best you can get is the analog channels with PiP. As far as I know, no cable box has duel tuners that is used by any cable company. You can use 2 cable boxes, but they both will respond when you use the remote which changes channels on them both. Since your TV doesn't have a tuner, even putting a 2 way splitter won't due you any good if you did want to at least have the analog work with PiP.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 29 2004 - 01:19 AM

The problem is with trying to display 2 different formats on one display. Most TV's disable PIP for the component inputs because component inputs can accept many formats (480i/p, 720p, 1080i), whereas composite and s-video only accept 480i. You simply cannot display a 480i image in a PIP beside a 1080i image without a digital upconversion and most TV's do not do this (none that I know of anyway).

So, to answer your question - If you want PIP functionality with your Comcast HD box you have to hook the box's "through" cable to the TV's coax (NTSC) tuner input and hook the box's S-video out to the tv's s-video in. PIP the coax tuner from the s-video input. You can now tune the PIP from the TV's tuner and the non-PIP from the box. Note, this requires the HD box to have an active s-video output, not all COmcast boxes have this activated. It also means you cannot PIP any HD sources. If your TV has no (NTSC) internal tuner at all, you are out of luck.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted January 29 2004 - 09:09 AM

Most of the current model year TVs on the market can handle PIP or at least side-by-side display of HD and other sources. Sometimes some of the modes available with two 480i sources aren't available. Older HDTV monitors may not handle PIP with HD at all, since their PIP logic hadn't been updated yet to handle it.