What's new

Any news on Friday the 13th tv series? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading a few months ago that this show was coming to dvd along special editions of the movies. Has anything been heard about this?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, I saw that one paragraph on it as well months ago...

Have not heard one word since... But, havent heard much about the movies either...

Maybe when they announce the specifics about the F13 SE movie set, they will announce more about the show as well...

Might not hear anything until the summer... The movies arent due until the fall I believe...

Ed Payne

Agent
I've been dying to see these shows again. I haven't seen an episode since the SciFi channel stopped airing them. I heard rumors of a horror channel picking up the series. The series would definitely be more at home on that channel. For whatever reason, SciFi thought we were all up at two in the morning.

I have a poll going on my web site for DVD release format preference: Individual episodes, best of..., or season boxed sets. The season boxed sets is by far the most prefered. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Ed Payne

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I figured to put this out of my mind until Paramount is ready to announce the actual films officially. When those get announced, then and only then the TV series will be.

That is, IF the bit about the TV show also coming was really true. No guarantees about that, of course. Or the studio could be thinking out loud, and then something changes.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I still don't understand the relationship between this show and the movies, nor do I understand the potential tie-in between releasing this at the same time as special editions of the films. The fanbase of the films won't necessarily appreciate the series, or vice versa. The series was more like the Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/XFiles to me.

I remember reading long ago that at some point in the tv series they planned to have an episode about getting Jason Voorhees' cursed hockey mask... or some sillyness like that. Perhaps it was going to be the final episode. But that never happened, and therefore this show has NOTHING to do with the movies other than sharing the same title. It's just one of those little things that will forever bug me. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Great show. Saw it on yahoo auctions a few months ago but they were bootleg copies and they were like $60.00.
I think X-files owes alot fo this show. Creepy things happening that had to be investigated. Also the overall creepy look to the show.
There never was any link between the movies and the show. Just the name. Many people thought this show was going to be about Jason killing people every week when it was announced but I think Paramount was just capitalizing on the name.
I'd buy it.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Friday the 13th was a GREAT show! People really died! Some of the episodes were hokey but the earlier ones could get really strange. It had a Gothic aura that reeked of Ouija boards and crystal balls and vampire bats. Robey always seemed much nicer than I'm sure she was down in the basement summoning the dark forces to her. Unlike just about any other TV show I've seen short of some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes, Friday the 13th deserved to be called sinister.

I don't buy TV shows as a rule but given the rarity of its airings I might just go for this one. Pity it was on so late as a lot of people never got to see it but given the frequent gravity of the storyline I can understand why they didn't want kids to see it.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Yes, back at the time no one even knew what the show was going to be... I was too young to really remember, but have heard about it's promotion...

When advertising started, it seems they started advertising the title, but never said what the show would be...

The show arrives and people were very disappointed...

The show was decent, but it really had no reason for it's title... It was mis-marketed and not what people expected at all... Especially, since Jason and the F13 series were quite popular at this time... Anyone in 1986/1987 who hears of a F13 series will of course assume it has something to do with the movies and characters...

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I remember my dad rented me a video of the first three episodes (I was a big Jason fan). We were both disapointed when Jason didn't show at all! They tryed to push the video release here in the UK on the back of the movies but it didn't work.

Ed Payne

Agent
I can't even begin to tell you how many emails from my website I get asking why the show has nothing to do with the movies. Some people are downright nasty about it. It is nothing more than the executive producer wanting to capitalize on the popularity of his movies. If I remember correctly, the show was very popular. It wasn't hurting for ratings. It was #2 behind Star Trek: The Next Generation in syndication. The cast thought they were coming back for a 4th season. But for reasons that are still quite vague, there were no more episodes produced. I would pass out if they were to make a reunion movie/episode.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Ed Payne

Ed Payne

Agent
Unfortunately, nothing new. :frowning: I can't believe what the "boots" on Ebay are going for. Paramount has to be missing an opportunity here.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I love the show and would buy it immediately , but I wonder if Paramount would have trouble with this release because some people would buy it expecting to see Jason and return it when they found out it had nothing at all to do with the movie series!

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Actually, I thought the show's tie-in to the film series was that the antique's shop was once owned by a Vorhees. I could be wrong though.

Eric F

Screenwriter
According to a website I checked out, Jason's mask was supposed to be the item they found in the finale. Apparently they never made it that far.

This was a really odd and quirky show and I hope they decide to release it.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I haven't heard anything since the initial uproar. Wasn't it Sean Cunningham that mentioned the possibility of the series being released?

John*P

Second Unit
I would totally be interested in Friday the 13th: The Series and Freddy's Nightmares (the Nightmare on Elm Street show) on R1 DVD. (in season sets, of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks