Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pioneer VSX-D712, Yamaha RXV-440 or Denon AVR-1403

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Derek H

Derek H

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 07:58 PM

I'm a noob to this HT stuff to I need some help. At first I was looking a Panasonic Reciever but have changed my mind due to some advise (thanks HTF). Now it comes down to three recievers: Pioneer VSX-D712, Yamaha RXV-440 or Denon AVR-1403 I plan to use a 5.1 system for a few years and dont plan to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 system (until I move out of the apartment and into a house). Both are in my current price range $350-450 Canadian. The pioneer and Yamaha offer: DTS Neo:6,DTS decoder,Dolby Digital,DTS-ES Matrix 6.1,Dolby Pro Logic II,DTS-ES Discrete 6.1,Dolby Digital Surround EX Denon offers: DTS decoder,Dolby Digital,Dolby Pro Logic II My question is which would you take, mainly would you not take the Denon since it doesnt have the newer decoder? And since I will be running only a 5.1 setup mean that I wont be able to run those newer decoders??? (meaning they only work with a 6.1 system??) BTW please dont suggest the H/K avr125, its too expensive up here and I dont want to buy from an unauthorized dealer. Thanks for any advice!!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Derek H

Derek H

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:01 PM

uppin

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 03:03 PM

Derek, Those 3 are all along the same level in many ways since they are entry level receivers. You could add the Onkyo 501 to that list also. They all offer the same general stuff: DD, DTS, DPLII, etc...... Buy one from a reliable place and if you don't like it return it.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 04:15 PM

I have a RXV-440 and I love it. It works great with my bigger boston towers.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 01:55 AM

IMO the Denon and Yamaha entry-level receivers are higher regarded than Pioneer. I have been a happy Yamaha owner for over 20 years.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Derek H

Derek H

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the input!!! I have dropped the Pioneer due to 1.0% THD, the highest out of the three plus it doesnt look like it has a high current amp. So it Looks like I'm gonna go for the Yamaha (getting a killer deal!!). Now time for choosing speakers!!! Athena speakers a good match with the Yamaha??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users