What's new

Pioneer VSX-D712, Yamaha RXV-440 or Denon AVR-1403 (1 Viewer)

Derek H

Agent
I'm a noob to this HT stuff to I need some help. At first I was looking a Panasonic Reciever but have changed my mind due to some advise (thanks HTF). Now it comes down to three recievers:
Pioneer VSX-D712, Yamaha RXV-440 or Denon AVR-1403

I plan to use a 5.1 system for a few years and dont plan to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 system (until I move out of the apartment and into a house). Both are in my current price range $350-450 Canadian.

The pioneer and Yamaha offer:
DTS Neo:6,DTS decoder,Dolby Digital,DTS-ES Matrix 6.1,Dolby Pro Logic II,DTS-ES Discrete 6.1,Dolby Digital Surround EX

Denon offers: DTS decoder,Dolby Digital,Dolby Pro Logic II

My question is which would you take, mainly would you not take the Denon since it doesnt have the newer decoder? And since I will be running only a 5.1 setup mean that I wont be able to run those newer decoders??? (meaning they only work with a 6.1 system??)

BTW please dont suggest the H/K avr125, its too expensive up here and I dont want to buy from an unauthorized dealer.

Thanks for any advice!!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Derek,
Those 3 are all along the same level in many ways since they are entry level receivers. You could add the Onkyo 501 to that list also.
They all offer the same general stuff:
DD, DTS, DPLII, etc......
Buy one from a reliable place and if you don't like it return it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
IMO the Denon and Yamaha entry-level receivers are higher regarded than Pioneer. I have been a happy Yamaha owner for over 20 years.

Derek H

Agent
Thanks for the input!!! I have dropped the Pioneer due to 1.0% THD, the highest out of the three plus it doesnt look like it has a high current amp. So it Looks like I'm gonna go for the Yamaha (getting a killer deal!!). Now time for choosing speakers!!! Athena speakers a good match with the Yamaha??

Users who are viewing this thread