-

Photo
- - - - -

How much weight can a speaker support?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Nick-G

Nick-G

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 03:47 PM

I'm curious to know how much weight my speaker's 3/4" MDF enclosure can support? Can anyone help me out??

#2 of 8 Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:55 PM

It depends on how it is built. How much weight do you want to put on it?
~Dr. Spike

#3 of 8 Nick-G

Nick-G

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 10:35 AM

The reason I ask is because the fiancee wants to get an armoire and my athena AS-B1's will not fit beside the TV inside of the armoire and there is no room for stands on the small wall, with the swinging armoire doors and all. So I have to decide if I want to lay the speakers on their sides and put the 50lb TV on top of them or if I want to return them and get the smaller S.5 speakers. In our small room I don't know if the smaller speakers would make that much of a difference, but I have really grown to love my B1's. I could always put the speakers on top of the armoire and try to angle them down too. But the thing is, the 30 day return policy is up wednesday, so I have to decide soon!

#4 of 8 ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:16 PM

I wouldn't think it to be smart at all to put a TV ontop of it. I would probably either find a way to fit it in or go down to something that is going to fit in. Anything ontop of a speaker isn't great, especially a 50lb. tv which could either break the enclosure or have some other problem.

#5 of 8 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 01:16 PM

Alot.

I weigh in at a heft 200+lbs. and can jump up and down on Kenwood HTiB dual 4" midrange "bookshelfs".

You may not want to do this with speakers you wish to keep however. (Mine were supplanted by paradigms).
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#6 of 8 Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 02:49 PM

Don't forget to make sure that they are shielded.

#7 of 8 Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
The reason I ask is because the fiancee

Time to get rid of the fiancee Posted Image On their sides the speaker cabinets would be at their weakest. Don't do it.

Kevin

#8 of 8 Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:50 PM

I probably wouldn't put my TV on top of my speakers. But they may support it.

Sound wise you would be best to not put your mains under your TV.
~Dr. Spike