What's new

"The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit" Re-Release Due Feb. 3, With 51-Min. Documentary (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
What a horrible cover! What was wrong with the original? It has a nice classy look.

From what I understand there is nothing new on this reissue. Here's an article slamming the hype of the reissue:

http://www.riprense.com/beatlespublicist.htm

...but I'll wait and see before I dismiss the release completely.

-paul

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
As a huge Beatles fan and collector, I may have to buy the new version depending on the extra feature. All quibbling aside, I think it's still a good thing that this DVD is being re-released and "updated" considering that February marks the 40th Anniversary of the group coming to America.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad it's getting reissued. My current copy now has a failsafe backup coming to market. I was getting nervous there (in case something happened to my copy). This is a superb documentary made in February of 1964..

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I love HELP! even more than A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. yes,we could use a new version of this one, though not overmatted like the disaster with Miramax' AHDN!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Then what do you call a 51-min. documentary (that is not on the original release)? This lengthy "Making-Of" feature is the only possible reason I'd consider upgrading. Anybody seen the Making Of?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have the original release but I will have to check out the new one if there is indeed new content.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Well, has anyone gotten this and compared it to the previous version of the DVD? (How come there's no official HTF review of this one?)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I picked it up today, but won't have a chance to look at it until later.

But it states that it features a 51- minute Making of with footage never seen before. Along with a new interview with Alvert Maysles, who also provides a commentary for the main film.

Sounds pretty good...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
While the First US Visit film is identical in content to the original release, improvements have been made to the sound and video in some parts (ie Ed Sullivan, Washington concert).

And yes, the documentary is new to this release.

-paul

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Well, I ended up getting it (I knew I would). I haven't compared the version of the original film on this DVD with my previous copy (I'd never make it as an HTF reviewer) but it seemed the same as far as I could recall. While it's still an essential film for any Beatles fan, it doesn't seem quite as essential now as it originally did, what with the recent release of the entire Ed Sullivan shows, and the Anthology.

But I'd say the new set is worth picking up for the "making of" documentary. It consists of the camera man's recollections of the filming, interspersed with out-takes, some of which are pretty interesting. After he mentioned how fascinated they were with the filming equipment, they cut to a clip of Paul explaining to George how they keep the camera and tape recorder in synch as they're filming, and they all are really amused by a headphone set that plays back their voices as they're speaking. There are also other scenes not in the original, e.g. Brian Epstein taking a cab from the hotel, the Beatles attending a reception at the British ambassador's place in Washington, filming a family watching the first Ed Sullivan show on TV (the film-makers weren't allowed in, even though Paul tried to help).

So it wouldn't be worth getting this new set if it only had the film (unless, of course, you don't already have it), but if you're a Beatles fan (why else would you be reading this thread?), I'd highly recommend getting it for the 'making of' documentary. There's also, I believe, a director's commentary but I haven't yet watched it. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks