What's new

Surround sound problem (1 Viewer)

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
Ok, here's some backround info:

I know all the speakers are working. I did the speaker set up from the reciever, and sound is going to all of the speakers.

I was doing the Sound and Vision HT setup DVD and I got to the audio set up. When it went to test if the sounds were coming from the correct speakers, the front left and front right were correct, as was the center speaker and subwoofer. However, the right surround played in the right front and the left surround played in the left front. As I said, I know the surround speakers are working because I tested them from the reciever.

I have the reciever set to Pro Logic because I don't have my digital cable yet. What could be the problem?

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Are you using the analog left/right connections from your DVD player then?

You need to use the digital out on the DVD player for the calibrations on that disk to work properly.

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
I thought it might be that, just wanted to make sure. So that's just for that disc, but will surround sound work for movies without the digital cable?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

You will not get Dolby Digital without the digital hookup. You will be getting a downmix to pro-logic, which is inferior to Dolby Digital. If you have a coax digital (not optical), just buy a 75 ohm standard video cable, it will cost about $5 at Radio Shack and will work fine. No need to spend a fortune on a "digital" cable.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

If you turn on pro logic processing it will work. If you are getting rear tones coming from the front in the test, prolofic decoding is not turned on.

If you ahve DPL or DPL2 turned on, the rear tones in a test like that should be downconverted and will come from both rear channels. If they do not, then either DPL or DPL2 processing is not on, or the downconversion process is not working properly.

Either way, if all that is keeping you from a real surround setup is one cable, I would stop messing with S&V and just go buy a cable, it will make a world of difference.

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
Thanks. I was just waiting for my digital coupon from Best Buy to get emailed, then I'm getting an Acoustic Research digital optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks