Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Update on African Queen and other CLASSICS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 06:12 AM

Just checking if anyone has heard of DVD releases of the following classics: - African Queen - Bringing up Baby - Giant - The Jazz Singer (1927) - Yankee Doodle Dandy Each of these titles is listed in the AFI top 100 but haven't heard a thing about any of these except on again, off again rumors regarding Giant. Any clues for 2002 or beyond? - Joel

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 07:33 AM

http://www.blackstar...m/7000000063509

The african queen has been released in the UK. It was released by a company called Carlton. I have no idea who these guys are, if they are a presence in the US or if they own or have simply licenced the movie, but still, it's out somewhere in the world.

------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!

"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!

DVD List LD List
My DVD list

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 07:57 AM

Man, had I known that Giant was going to be discontinued, I would have stocked up while it was briefly available in Canada. I could have made a mint on ebay! Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 08:42 AM

I specifically asked the Warners rep at Dave's Studio Day about Bringing Up Baby and he replied that with the exception of King Kong coming out in 2003, there are no plans at this time to dip into their RKO library for DVD titles. I guess it will be a long wait for titles like Bringing Up Baby, The Thing From Another World, film noirs like Out Of The Past and Murder By Sweet and all the Astaire & Rogers musicals. Generally, titles like those appeal to film buffs rather than home theatre enthusiasts because, let's face it, a film like Top Hat from 1935 isn't going to give your state of the art home theatre sound system a work out.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,694 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 08:57 AM

Kong's not coming out till 2003? Posted Image

------------------
My collection:
http://www.dvdprofil....=Kriegersaurus

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Peter D

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 09:29 AM

Come on WB - Bringing up Baby is on the AFI top 100 list, features two of the greatest stars in Hollwyood history and was directed by one of the greatest directors. Give it a tiny bit of respect. Oh wait - the exact same thing can be said about the African Queen. And so on. If you don't want to produce these DVD's, license them to Criterion already. I'm sure they'd jump at the chance.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,619 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 10 2001 - 01:20 PM

[quote]

Kong's not coming out till 2003

[quote]

I expect the "King Kong" dvd to be a special edition to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of it's theatrical release similar to "Citizen Kane" dvd.

Crawdaddy

------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 01:49 PM

Interesting tidbit about African Queen availability in R2. What would keep it from R1 release? Lack of interest?...

Another title I have heard nothing about is "Mutiny on the Bounty". Otherwise we should have 94 or 95 of the AFI 100 out by the end of 2003 -- assuming we see Star Wars and Raiders by then. Posted Image

- Joel

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted October 10 2001 - 02:22 PM

and while we're at it! Where's "Sunset Blvd." and "Double Indemnity"? (okay, I know the latter was released but it's been discontinued and was by all accounts a pretty ropey transfer!) Rich

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 05:00 AM

I have Double Indemnity and it must be one of the worst transfers in my ~850 disk collection. It surely deserves better. Let's hope when it reappears that it will be at least 'average' in quality. As for Bringing Up Baby and one or two of the others I can understand the concern that studios might have (though misguided) about demand. What I don't understand is their misreading The African Queen demand and the lack of interest in getting this out... - Joel

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 05:17 AM

I second the motion for "Double Indemnity" and while they're at it, how about the original deleted ending. I'm pretty sure that it still exists. It seems like there have "Sunset Blvd" rumours for about 2 years now. I'm anxiously looking forward to this as well as the remaining Billy Wilder catalog. I just wish somebody would release "Ace in the Hole" aka "The Big Carnival". This is widely regarded as a classic, yet has never made it's way to any home video format. I heard some time ago that Spike Lee was interested in re-making this movie, has anybody else heard this rumour.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 05:26 AM

You guys are makin' me depressed! ------------------ He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing. -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 07:01 AM

This thread was not intended to 'depress' anyone, just to raise the temperature with the studios that may or may not know of market demand for these titles. If there is more than casual interest we need to start a campaign of alerting the respective studios to pay some attention to certain titles before the door is shut to the opportunity. - Joel

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn

Second Unit

• 354 posts
  • LocationNorth Conway, NH

Posted October 11 2001 - 07:18 AM

Picture this: Posted Image

Cagney's ghost, "Hey, listen here see, you dirty rats better hurry up and put Angels with Dirty Faces out on dvd, see? It's one of me n' Pat's favorites, undastand"

Warner Rep., "Um, we don't have any plans to put . . .

Cagney, interrupting, "Did ya here what I had to say, huh, huh? You boys are smart, but don't get smart with Rocky. Youz boys don't know what kinda trouble you're gettin' youzselfs inta here. Now listen here you rats, either put the film out on dvd, or I'm gonna' air-condition those suits youz' is wearing wit what's in dis here violin case. You gettin' the message yet?

Warner Reps., "It'll be out ASAP sir, Rocky, uh, MR. Cagney, ASAP!"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

------------------
"When you call me that, smile!"

My DVD Collection

Jean Louise, Jean Louise stand up; Your father's passing.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 10:26 AM

What's the deal with studios refusing to license titles they don't plan on releasing themselves? I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but it seems like a no-brainer that if you own the rights to a movie, but don't think there's enough of a demand to release it yourself but, say, Criterion does, sell them the rights for either a flat fee or per unit so you do end up making some money. Is there some little fact I'm missing here?
Tom Rhea

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 10:35 AM

Have there been any other reviews of the R2 African Queen?? ------------------ I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage. --Bernie Faulkner
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   David Tallen

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 10:41 AM

[quote]

What's the deal with studios refusing to license titles they don't plan on releasing themselves?

[quote]I don't know the answer to that one, but I'll happily offer my opinion, anyway. Posted Image

My guess is that the studios are looking with some trepidation to the day when virtually all of their old movies have been released on DVD and the only thing they can offer the public in the way of new DVDs is the previous year's movies. Lets face it, it's easier to find a gem when you can look back 70 years than when you can only look back one year. Sales are going to drop off when that day arrives. Of course, they will still be putting out Special Editions, Extra Special Editions and Super-Duper Fantasmagoric Editions. But that's another matter.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,587 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 11 2001 - 02:03 PM

Re: The African Queen. Fox used to have this title (my old VHS of this is from Fox). Unfortunately, per Peter Staddon, they no longer have it. Somebody on HTF (Crawdaddy?) had figured that, through various catalog sales, MGM now had it. So I asked the MGM reps about it at Studio Day a couple of weeks ago. They do NOT have it - they thought Fox still did.

So, the big question is, who has the US rights to The African Queen??? Does anyone know??

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 11 2001 - 04:11 PM

[quote]

What's the deal with studios refusing to license titles they don't plan on releasing themselves? I'm not the brightest guy in the world, but it seems like a no-brainer that if you own the rights to a movie, but don't think there's enough of a demand to release it yourself but, say, Criterion does, sell them the rights for either a flat fee or per unit so you do end up making some money. Is there some little fact I'm missing here?

[quote]

There's speculation that it may be to hold product back for video-on-demand release only. Sort of like divx, in that the only way to watch it would be to pay each time. Despite what happened to divx, and despite how much money dvd sales generate for studios (e.g., Snow White), they still drool at the thought of getting money each time you watch it.

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Chris May

Chris May

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 15 2001 - 01:33 PM

The R2 release by Carlton is in a very nice presentation box (well a little better than a simple plastic snap case...matt coated card) and comes with a commentary by the director of photography, but this doesnt make up for the movie being put out in 4:3 format....i'm not 100% sure but i seem to remember it being in a wider format than this...someone prove me wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users