Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any Chance of "Eddie Murphy: Delirious"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted January 24 2004 - 07:04 AM

My all-time favorite stand-up show of all time has got to be "Delirious" by Eddie Murphy. I've seen this more times than I can count and have worn the tape thin. lol. What I'm wondering if there's any possibility that this will make it to DVD. I would definitely be amongst the first to pick it up. Same goes for "Raw", which I enjoyed far less, but it was still pretty good in its own right.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#2 of 94 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,942 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 07:12 AM

I think the last I heard (and this is unofficial) was that Eddie controlled the rights to both of those "movies" but that he doesn't release them because he's now a family man with kids. That's why his recent choices have been all pretty much family fare. Gone is the Old Eddie of Bev Hills Cop fame. Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 94 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 07:37 AM

that would be sad news indeed. But then again, recently Best Defense was also released so there is hope yet

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 94 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 24 2004 - 08:03 AM

I do believe what Carlo stated is indeed the case, sadly.

I too would love to have this on dvd. I find it ironic that Eddie Murphy came down hard on Bill Cosby in 'Raw', and now he's BECOME Bill Cosby! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#5 of 94 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted January 24 2004 - 08:32 AM

lol, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. It's really too bad. I mean, I'm not knocking him for wanting to do family-oriented stuff, but I don't think it's fair to the legions of fans to simply disregard his early work regardless. But as you said, if he owns the rights to both, then I guess the ball's in his court. It's a shame though.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#6 of 94 OFFLINE   john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 06:02 PM

You can always put that vhs on a shiney silver disc....I did !...problem solved...!

#7 of 94 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 06:26 PM

Ditto. It's on the shelf right here next to me.

#8 of 94 OFFLINE   JimmyT

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 06:56 PM

I would buy both Delirious and Raw in a heartbeat. Classic comedy from a genius in his prime. Too bad that man doesn't exist anymore.

#9 of 94 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 07:04 PM

"Goony Goo Goo." --Eddie Murphy's Aunt Bunny
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#10 of 94 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted January 25 2004 - 03:49 AM

These two Murphy shows are among the best stand up films ever released. Shame it seems like we may never see them (or at least until Eddie needs the money.)

#11 of 94 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,759 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:01 AM

Yup, you guys heard right. Murphy took a lot of flack from the gay community for that standup act. Though we hounded Paramount to get this out, the ultimate decision rests with Murphy, and from what I hear, he doesn't want it out. You can't even find this on VHS anymore. What a shame.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 94 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 06:21 AM

I don't think we'll be seeing either Delirious or Raw for a long, long time. Which is indeed a real shame. The various Mr T, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor impersonations are worth the price alone:

"You cannot say filth, florin' filth, florin filth in front of people!

- "I didn't say no filth florin' filth. I'm offended that you called, f*ck you."

"That is what I am talking about: Yooooooooou, cannot say... "f*ck" in front of people!"

I haven't seen Delirious since about 1991. From what I remember, it was HILARIOUSLY outrageous. There's that great bit when a woman asks him to do Mr Rogers (from SNL) and some guy shouts, "Shut up, bitch!" and Eddie drops the mike and folds into laughter! Crazy.

At least there are lots of Richard Pryor's concerts on DVD, plus the AMAZING CD boxed set - anyone else got that? It's a must for fans. The Richard Pryor Show is out soon too.

#13 of 94 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 11:36 AM

Very sad. Yet another Hollywood personality with all the control ashamed/unhappy with some of his best work.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#14 of 94 OFFLINE   john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 03:48 PM

I guess other people feel the same way about Murphy blocking the dvd releases .....Look on ebay Posted Image

#15 of 94 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 04:24 PM

Was Raw or Delerious ever released on Laserdisc? I don't remember.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#16 of 94 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 05:07 PM

Yes. They both were on laserdisc.

#17 of 94 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:33 AM

This is a true shame. I would gladly buy both of these releases in a second.

I haven't had even the slightest urge to watch any Murphy movie since "Coming to America". I saw "Boomerang" once, but only because somebody else dragged me to it.

Another one bites the dust!Posted Image

#18 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 12:39 AM

Well, in the case of Raw, Murphy does not own the rights to the film. It was just re-released on January 20th on VHS at a new price of $9.95.

Delirious is a whole different matter. I'm not sure who owns it anymore. However, I don't think content is an issue, since most of the material from it is available on Murphy's Comedian CD, including all the homesexual jokes.

Jeff

#19 of 94 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 04:06 AM

The Comedian album's been available since the early 80s though. It's possible that the record company holds the rights to it. I've read Murphy saying that he regrets a lot of the bigoted comments made in Delirious, so I'd suspect it's a content issue.
My art imitates crime.

#20 of 94 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 07:21 AM

Very sad indeed. I have one of them literally memorized by heart and will 'jump' into one of the skits when the boys are around. Makes em' laugh everytime.

"Gus!! Your wifes a bigfoot!!!"
"What the hell does Goony Goo Goo mean anyway?"
"I say 'Hey Franchese! Goony Goo Goo!' He says "What the F#$%!!' Get the hell out of here!!'"

Classic Eddie. Posted Image The ONLY Eddie that I find funny.

CF
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users