Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where the heck do I buy curtains?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 06:52 AM

I need some curtains for my living room and bedroom windows. Where do I go? I went to Ross and Target. What a pitiful and pathetic selection. I want something black or dark blue, thick (no blinds) and small. All these stores had was peachy, white or beige, they were all paper-thin and ran the length of a wall. What are some good curtain stores?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 07:41 AM

Go back to Target, they have some thicker material curtains there. They work reasonably well. Also, Sears have some, places like Linens'N'things have some, etc. Otherwise, go get some material at a store, learn to sew, and crank up that sewing machine. Or get your mom or your girlfriend to help. Maybe you can pin it and she sews it - that worked for us. Get over the "manly" business thinking about how much you save by doing it yourself vs. having them done. That gets EXPENSIVE (I ain't kidding, figure on several hundred dollars to several thousands dollars depending on size and quantity). Most basic curtain is 5 straight seams, plus rod and a couple brackets... Not exactly the most difficult job in the world...

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 08:33 AM

JC Penney's has curtains also, and in a wide selection. They may not be in stock, just look in the catalog and they can be ordered. They may even be online.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 08:34 AM

If you would like a "ghetto" approach, get some large bristle-board sheets and put them up to the windows. They block the light perfectly for movies and gaming, and come down pretty easily during daylight hours.

My girlfriend shakes her head in disbelief and shame every time she walks through my HT / computer room.

I'll be damned if I knew where, nor wanted to, go and buy curtains Posted Image

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 08:41 AM

There's always the option of putting foil on the windows Posted Image

Seriously though, department stores have a decent selection if you don't wish to make your own.

As a wife who has no inclination to make my own I find the supposed "manly" method of buying them the best option.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 12:14 PM

IKEA everything you'll need oh for that cheap that is...

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 12:21 PM

I second JCPenney. They have a giant curtain and blind section.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 12:42 PM

I found some great fabric at a Antique Store. Very thick ..I could have a spotlight outside and wouldn't know it Cheaper than drapes & better
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 06:12 PM

There's always Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a pretty decent selection of curtains.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   TerryS

TerryS

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 02:39 AM

AmericanDecorating.com. I did all the mini blinds in my house from here. My vertical blind arrived damaged and they immediately shipped a replacement with no questions asked.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 03:00 AM

Look for a store that specializes in curtain and draperies. I can guarantee you that there are quite a few in Austin - start with the Yellow Pages and go from there. I found the fabric for my theater curtain at a curtain/drapery store in the tiny town of Amherst, NH (less than 10,000 people) and they had a HUGE selection of fabrics. I would bet there are over a dozen such stores in Austin. -greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users