What's new

The Great Escape SE - May 25 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.dvdtimes.co.uk has announced the R1 release of the rwo disc SE of The Great Escape.

Features include:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish Mono
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Commentary With the Cast and Crew
“The Great Escape: Heroes Underground” Featurette
“The Great Escape: The Untold Story” Featurette
“The Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones” Documentary
Trivia Track
Original Theatrical Trailer
Photo Gallery

More details and pack shot here.

---
So many films, so little time...

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Sounds great! I have owned the non-anamorphic version for a long time. It'll be great to finally replace it. Perhaps someone can answer this as I don't have the DVD around right now. Isn't the AR greater than 2.35? I believe it is more like 2.55 or 2.76.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've had the R4 SE for almost two yrs now and still haven't watched it yet.
still not the best looking widescreen dvd of a film from the early 60s, but a big improvment over the first R1 non-a release though, thats for sure.

wonder why it took so long for the R1 version to show up?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, i remember this film being closer to 2.40/2.5 myself , but i think the R4 version is closer to 2.35.

i'll check tonight to make sure, but i wouldn't be surprised if it had been cropped a bit to 2.35.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Martin,

Ive seen worse cover art but its the movie that really counts.

Im so stoked for this. Between this and Good Bad Ugly this is a great year for classic SEs. Time to unload my non-anamorphic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If you haven't watched it, how do you know it's not the best looking widescreen dvd from that era?

I've had the Region 4 dvd for awhile too and I think the dvd presentation is very good. This has been a favorite film of mine since I was a kid and saw it for the first time during its original theatrical run in 1963.

The features on this upcoming Region 1 release are the same with the Region 4 release.

Also, the cover art is basically the same too with the Region 4 having a more greenish tint to it.

Crawdaddy

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Great news! :D

The original DVD release looks like the
letterboxed laserdisc- pretty bad as far as picture
quality goes. I'm sure that the SE will look
alot better.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It looks the same as the already-available R2/R4 release, so it should be a top-notch set. Heartily recommended!

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
The transfer MGM used for the letterboxed laserdisc, and apparently the DVD, is overmatted to something like 2.5:1. The film was shot in anamorphic Panavision so the AR of the negative would be 2.35:1.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Awesome! I can't wait, this is a personal favorite. Thanks for the heads-up, John Hodson. Looks like it'll be a good SE, but wow, that cover art really is lame. This isn't one of Steve McQueen's home movies, people! :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm not one who ever spends time looking at the covers of my DVDs. I watch the movies, not the covers. As far as I'm concerned, the cover of "The Great Escape" could have a picture of Marlon Brando french-kissing Dom DeLuise and I'd still buy it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The R1 Great Escape used a full-area source (meaning that the picture was not correctly framed) and then further matted down.

The anamorphic R2 DVD correctly presents the 2.35:1 image and so should this DVD if it's 2.35:1.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anyone's going to avoid buying a DVD just because of the cover art, Ernest. I'm going to pick this one up regardless, as I would with any movie I like a lot that has a good DVD release. I'd just rather the covers would be good instead of bad, and this one looks disappointing.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Has Criterion allowed MGM to reuse the commentary the late John Sturges recorded for their previous laserdisc? Or is this a cobbling of other existing audio interviews?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's other John Sturges interviews (taken, if I recall correctly, in the 1970s). Criterion's commentary is nowhere to be found, alas.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i've watched a few minutes from different chapters, but i haven't yet sat down and watched the disc from begining to end.
the original R1 disc was unwatchable on a FP, the remaster is quite watchable, however some of the shots, long shots mostly, seem soft and lacking in detail.
not a bad presentation by any means, but there are many 2.35 AR films from the sixties that look finer on disc.
Hombre, which i pulled out last night and watched a little of, would be just one example.

not trying to talk anyone out of picking the new SE up- its a major improvment over the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks