What's new

Aimee Mann Bachelor No. 2 SACD (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Music Direct has this in stock (I called them to verify), whereas other places list March 23rd or March 9th. Not sure what the deal is. My only guess is MD has some kind of arrangement with MOFI, seeing that when you click to purchase something on the MOFI site you get sent to MD. I'm holding off a bit on the purchase though. If you have a MD catalog there is a March coupon in the back for 10% off SACDs.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I got the MD mailing and ordered it up (Music Direct always stocks MoFi before anyone else... sister companies or something).

But I didn't realize there was a coupon! ACK!!! ME SPEND UNNECESSARILY!!!! :frowning:

Ah well... I cannot wait to hear this. MFSL's SACD of Mann's "Lost in Space" is one of my favorite SACDs (and my wife's favorite by a factor of one million)... and, as an album, I slightly prefer "Bachelor No. 2"! :emoji_thumbsup:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FYI

The coupons were only meant to be used with mail order. I called to inquire how to use them online and they told me this, so I'm waiting a couple days and then sending it off.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
A friend sent me the original release. When I got it, I couldn't have been less interested. After I listened a few times, I was VERY impressed. Although I have the original that I got for free, this album is so good, I will happily pay for the SACD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

If you love Bachelor No. 2 I highly recommend Lost in Space if you don't already have it. Aimee Mann's best work in my opinion. There's a great 2 disc Special Edition of it available for around twenty bucks that features a second disc of B sides, previously unreleased tracks, and 6 live performances, including Aimee's take on Coldplay's The Scientist that's just stunning. Well worth it.

As for the Bachelor No. 2 SACD, I'm eagerly awaiting its release as well.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm loving the fact that MoFi is back in bid-ness. I wasn't into hi-fi when they were originally around so I had to spend some extra money (more than $25) to get my hands on some from eBay.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Gotta love Music Direct. I sent off my order by mail (to take advantage of that coupon) last Friday and it's in my hands today!

I'm just listening to the CD layer at the moment, but, as with Lost in Space, the MOFI treatment adds three-dimensionality and nuance even to that. It's always fun to hear things you didn't before despite innumerable spins of the previous version. Can't wait to hear it in its hi-res glory!

Also picked up the acclaimed MOFI Ravel/Bolero SACD and Alison Krauss' "Forget About It."

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'd love 'em more if they ditched their lousy cover art. At least make that crappy banner part of a slip case sleeve rather than ruining the album cover itself.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Will_B,

I kinda like it...it's distinctive. One look at it and you know it's a MoFi.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
So, can someone sell me on Aimee Mann? I've read plenty about her music, but haven't picked up anything by her. I'm tempted to pick up the two MoFis based on the buzz, but $50 is a bit much for something I may not care for.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Have you seen Magnolia? There are several of her songs in the soundtrack. Also, her Web site has her latest album Lost in Space streamed in full. Let us know if you like her.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm just nuts about both the MFSL Aimee Mann SACDs. And my wife is completely addicted. The only criticism I have is a wish that all the rest of the "Magnolia" songs could be included as bonus tracks on "Bachelor No. 2". (And I was a bit surprised by the green spine!) That aside, these are among the very best contemporary pop recordings on SACD I've heard.

It's sorta ironic that Mann struggled for so long just to get her music out, and now it's coming out in the best format from one of the best production outfits around. Sometimes irony is so very sweet.

So, it seems that Mann and MFSL have an arrangement... any chance of seeing her other albums coming out on MFSL SACDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks