Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Aimee Mann Bachelor No. 2 SACD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 23 2004 - 09:08 AM

Looks like release date is March 9, 2004, at least according to this:

http://www.elusivedi....tem=3&mitem=10

Can't wait!
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 05:19 AM

I'm getting it. I get nearly all the MFSL Sack-Dee's. Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 02:00 PM

That album is outstanding. I'm guessing it's stereo not multichannel?

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 24 2004 - 02:02 PM

Most likely stereo, same as Lost in Space.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 19 2004 - 04:13 PM

Looks like this has been pushed to March 23 Posted Image

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 25 2004 - 04:49 AM

Music Direct has this in stock (I called them to verify), whereas other places list March 23rd or March 9th. Not sure what the deal is. My only guess is MD has some kind of arrangement with MOFI, seeing that when you click to purchase something on the MOFI site you get sent to MD. I'm holding off a bit on the purchase though. If you have a MD catalog there is a March coupon in the back for 10% off SACDs.

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:18 AM

I got the MD mailing and ordered it up (Music Direct always stocks MoFi before anyone else... sister companies or something).

But I didn't realize there was a coupon! ACK!!! ME SPEND UNNECESSARILY!!!! Posted Image

Ah well... I cannot wait to hear this. MFSL's SACD of Mann's "Lost in Space" is one of my favorite SACDs (and my wife's favorite by a factor of one million)... and, as an album, I slightly prefer "Bachelor No. 2"! Posted Image
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 06:27 AM

I ordered a copy from MD this morning. Yahooo!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 25 2004 - 07:44 AM

FYI

The coupons were only meant to be used with mail order. I called to inquire how to use them online and they told me this, so I'm waiting a couple days and then sending it off.

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 08:49 AM

A friend sent me the original release. When I got it, I couldn't have been less interested. After I listened a few times, I was VERY impressed. Although I have the original that I got for free, this album is so good, I will happily pay for the SACD.

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael_T

Michael_T

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 10:34 AM

Quote:
My only guess is MD has some kind of arrangement with MOFI

Music Direct owns MoFi now.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 12:01 PM

A friend sent me the original release. When I got it, I couldn't have been less interested. After I listened a few times, I was VERY impressed. Although I have the original that I got for free, this album is so good, I will happily pay for the SACD.
If you love Bachelor No. 2 I highly recommend Lost in Space if you don't already have it. Aimee Mann's best work in my opinion. There's a great 2 disc Special Edition of it available for around twenty bucks that features a second disc of B sides, previously unreleased tracks, and 6 live performances, including Aimee's take on Coldplay's The Scientist that's just stunning. Well worth it.

As for the Bachelor No. 2 SACD, I'm eagerly awaiting its release as well.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 25 2004 - 04:27 PM

Quote:
Music Direct owns MoFi now.

Now that's some kind of arrangement!

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 03:54 AM

I'm loving the fact that MoFi is back in bid-ness. I wasn't into hi-fi when they were originally around so I had to spend some extra money (more than $25) to get my hands on some from eBay.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 05 2004 - 10:01 AM

Gotta love Music Direct. I sent off my order by mail (to take advantage of that coupon) last Friday and it's in my hands today!

I'm just listening to the CD layer at the moment, but, as with Lost in Space, the MOFI treatment adds three-dimensionality and nuance even to that. It's always fun to hear things you didn't before despite innumerable spins of the previous version. Can't wait to hear it in its hi-res glory!

Also picked up the acclaimed MOFI Ravel/Bolero SACD and Alison Krauss' "Forget About It."

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 05 2004 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm loving the fact that MoFi is back in bid-ness

I'd love 'em more if they ditched their lousy cover art. At least make that crappy banner part of a slip case sleeve rather than ruining the album cover itself.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'd love 'em more if they ditched their lousy cover art. At least make that crappy banner part of a slip case sleeve rather than ruining the album cover itself.

Will_B,

I kinda like it...it's distinctive. One look at it and you know it's a MoFi.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 04:33 PM

So, can someone sell me on Aimee Mann? I've read plenty about her music, but haven't picked up anything by her. I'm tempted to pick up the two MoFis based on the buzz, but $50 is a bit much for something I may not care for.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 08 2004 - 04:45 PM

Have you seen Magnolia? There are several of her songs in the soundtrack. Also, her Web site has her latest album Lost in Space streamed in full. Let us know if you like her.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 04:30 AM

Well, I'm just nuts about both the MFSL Aimee Mann SACDs. And my wife is completely addicted. The only criticism I have is a wish that all the rest of the "Magnolia" songs could be included as bonus tracks on "Bachelor No. 2". (And I was a bit surprised by the green spine!) That aside, these are among the very best contemporary pop recordings on SACD I've heard.

It's sorta ironic that Mann struggled for so long just to get her music out, and now it's coming out in the best format from one of the best production outfits around. Sometimes irony is so very sweet.

So, it seems that Mann and MFSL have an arrangement... any chance of seeing her other albums coming out on MFSL SACDs?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow