What's new

entry level TV (i.e. under about 800 bucks) (1 Viewer)

John_Mo

Auditioning
looking for the best/biggest picture I can get for about 800 bucks?

currently thinking Sony 32" flat tube from best buy

any other ideas?

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I just bought a Philips 30" widescreen HD monitor from BB. It's 900 minus 10% at the store. I live in MA and the local Comcast was giving us 100 for signing up for HD.
I take delivery monday.
Just a thought. Picture is great, it's wide, and it's HD.

Keep us informed and happy hunting.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
John my thinking is if your going to be spending over $500 on a set then go with an HDTV set. If your looking to get a big analog set just to carry you over until you get an HDTV set I would go with the Flat Tube 32 inch JVC model AV-32FA44 which can be had for under $500 & as far as I'm concerned the picture is as good as the analog Sony sets for a lot less money. The JVC has the 16:9 DVD mode, a 6500 Color Temp. Setting, 3 A/V Inputs (1 in Front), Component Video Inputs, S-Video Input, 15 Watt audio amp.& a 1 year Labor Warranty (Sony Analog sets are 90 days).

CraigPilecky

Auditioning
I dont have one, but ive heard the Samsung 32" HDTV is a great entry level HDTV. Only $900.

I was seriously considering it myself, but I decided to spend more. Im currenly looking at 34" widescreens myself. But if your on a budget, and dont need DVI inputs the Samsung should floot your boat. Crispin Boyer of EGM has one of those, and says he loves it!

CraigPilecky

Auditioning
BTW Bill Will is right about the analog JVC 32". I have a year older model than the one he's refering to. But for an analog TV it kicks serious ass! Ive been very happy with mine.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I paid $1100 for a Sony Wega 36" XBR HDTV with DVI (KV-36XBR800)brand new in box. nice set. if your gonna spend that much I agree go with a HDTV. $300 more if you can find a deal like I got. I got mine at tweeter.

John_Mo

Auditioning
the overall price is up to my wife :)
she really liked the sony's we saw at best buy.

I will check out the benQ6100
a big screen would be awsome
- what is the pic quality?

also I will check out HD's for my price range.
just assumed they would suck since HD seems to be damn spendy

also, I currently have no HDTV devices
- like cable or satilite.
will an HD look better for regular tv/movie viewing?
or am I better of getting a same price range analog TV?

thanks for the help
and any further info would be awsome

Bill Will

Screenwriter
HDTV TV Programs & HDTV Movies will knock your socks off :D compared to Analog TV Programs. Also if you want to stay on the low-priced side with an analog set & your wife liked the looks of the Sony "Arch" design she probably would like the looks of the JVC AV-FA44 because it looks something like the Sony "Arch" it's not a box style set like the JVC that Best Buy carries & the FA44 has bigger speakers & the audio amp. is 5 watts more & they can be had for the same price as the JVC "Box" design sets. Check Sears website they have pictures of both of them in the 27 inch size.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John: Go to your local Sears and check out the Samsung 26" WS HDTV.

I got one over the holidays for $539! They are regular priced at $799. They go on sale pretty regular for $699. They ran a Black Friday sale for $599 and then had another sale (in which they price matched themselves) for another 10% off!

A great HD picture (if you're not looking for something a lot bigger) and you can spend your savings on HD cable/dish or DVDs! :D

I'm VERY happy with my set! Good luck!

John_Mo

Auditioning
the speakers don't really matter as they will be turned off.
I have a little 5.1 setup already. We mostly watch broadcast TV, and some DVDs (but not alot)

this will have to come from bestbuy as thats who we have our electronics toys credit card through.

we really like the flat tube sony we saw. we are basing our budget on that. anything comparable/close or better for equal or less price. cheaper is always better :)

URL
bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806226772&skuId=4725319&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03002

I am pretty good with audio, but not so much with video so any help is apprecitiated :)

thanks

Bill Will

Screenwriter
While your at Best Buy take a look at the 32 Inch JVC that they carry. I not sure of the specs. on it because it is a model exclusive to Best Buy only. But it is the "Box" type design & the ony difference I can see compared to the FA44 is that it has smaller speakers & less audio watts which if you are using a receiver isn't going to make any difference anyway but if you like the looks of the Sony design then go with the Sony but I still think if you getting over $500 I would take a look at some HDTV sets instead.

John_Mo

Auditioning
don't really care what the TV looks like.
by looks, we meant the quality of the display :)

but will have to check out that JVC
it is only 540

thanks

Jason Brent

Second Unit
When I was looking at TV's, I almost bought the 30" Samsung widescreen. Was offered at $800. Another one was the Zenith 30" widescreen with a HD tuner built in for $800.

Ended up with the panny 47...

Iver

Second Unit

Most of the stores where I shop for electronics don't carry JVC, but the other day I was at PC Richards where I saw some of their HD-ready CRT direct-views and thought they looked good. What do you think about the JVC HD-ready direct-view CRT's? What about the CRT-based RPTV's?

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
sonys are overpriced IMO, plus i dont think the picture is very clear on the non hd models.

my 36" jvc hdtv blows away my brother sony 36" non hd model 310 when it comes to picture quality.
you can see the pixels/what they are called alot more in his then in mine and we both have non hd service.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

for more info, go over the avsforum.com and go to display devices under $3500 msrp section...lots of info there

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks