Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WTC to remain on AI DVD!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 02:52 AM

According to Reel.com, the twin towers will not be removed from the DVD release of AI. Excellent news! Here's an exerpt:

quote:
Spielberg spokesperson Marvin Levy and DreamWorks DVD publicist Missy Davy both said there are no plans to erase the towers. Levy said that the issue came up just after the September 11 attacks on the buildings, and that a decision to keep them was made quickly after this. Besides, says Levy, "They're seen 2,000 years into the future. Who knows what will be built in the future?" (A.I. was released theatrically by Warner Bros., but DreamWorks has the domestic DVD rights.)[/quote]

You can read the whole article at: http://www.reel.com/....l&pageid=18669

Keep scrolling down.

[Edited last by Richard Kim on October 13, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 03:02 AM

Very happy to hear this. Dreamworks....god bless em. Posted Image

Dan (UK)

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 06:01 AM

WHY in the WORLD would anyone want to erase the WTC from a movie that has already been released (theatrically, if not on home video)?!
Do actors get erased if they meet with an untimely and tragic end? (I'm talking about after the filming is done and the feature released, not actors that die during filming)
Besides my opinion that you shouldn't remove a building that no longer happens to stand, I see any attempt to erase the WTC as an attempt to forget it, which NO ONE should ever do!

Jim

[Edited last by Jim A. Banville on October 13, 2001 at 01:04 PM]
"Take away the CGI and action sequences in the Star Wars prequels and what do you have left? Bad writing and worse acting!"
-Me

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   DanL

DanL

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 06:06 AM

Considering the WTC is visible for a grand total of something like 5-8 seconds, I fail to see why anyone would want to waste the effort erasing them, not to mention butchering some of the most beautiful CG effects in the movie.
-----------
Dan Lopez
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
My Reviews

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 07:41 AM

I'm glad that Dreamworks did the right thing. I watched A.I. again last week, and seeing those towers made the film even more touching.

------------------
Posted Image
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 07:56 AM

I suppose this question is gonna keep arising with new releases, but it is correct that it would be foolish to try to erase something already viewed by people. You can't make all the images of the WTC disappear with a snap of a finger and how long will it be before those shots act as a means of therapy? They should be left in.

------------------
Posted Image
Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love
The Mads are calling

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 08:20 AM

All I can say is "good." If something horrible happened in every American city, we'd have nothing to see on a lot of movies if that mentality held up.
My DVDs

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Ricky f

Ricky f

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 09:34 AM

I am very happy to hear this

Regards,
Ricky

------------------
Posted Image

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 09:40 AM

Thank God,
Hopefully this is the start of some sanity and calmness returning to the Entertainment Industry after these horrible occurrences. I was beginning to fear that things were going to get so out of hand, that next they would start trimming and cutting up more films.

King Kong (1976) For example. The movie would just not be the same without Kong's final moments atop the WTC towers. Digital technology is a wonderful thing, but unless its used just for restoring a film to its original glory, hands off.

Yes, 9/11/01 was a tragic day for the entire world, but by removing the WTC towers from films, we are simply trying to erase the pain. And chopping up movies, and TV shows, is not the way to do it. In fact if you look at rental patterns, rentals of terrorist themed films went up, many finding them a relief of not being able to see the people responsible get what they deserve.

Ok, sorry for ranting so much on my first post, just felt I needed to say my peace before I start talking about more lighthearted topics.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Mike Cameron

[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:53 PM]
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 12:52 PM

Mike:

Welcome to the HTF.

I wholeheartedly agree. Every evening my wife and I are usually watching Friends, and during the scene shifts they usually show the Manhattan skyline, and the WTC towers are ever present. To me it's like having a treasured photo of a departed loved one.

A. I. is the best movie of 2001.

------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 01:06 PM

Great news! Hollywood news to stop being so PC.

------------------
Posted Image
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 05:39 PM

Good to see common sense winning out for once...

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 06:18 PM

That's great news.

Now if we could only convince Spielberg to leave E.T alone.

------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

My Extensive DVD collection.

My Extensive DVD collection.

Shameless Webpage Plug: My Movie Reviews.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted October 13 2001 - 06:20 PM

THANK GOD!

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted October 14 2001 - 09:50 AM

Hey Nate,

What's with E.T.? Has he talked about changing something?

- Lars
Yamaha RX-V765, DALI Ikon 2 Mk 2, SVS SB12-Plus, Sonos, Synology 209j, PS3, Antec Fusion HTPC 500GB, MediaPortal

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil N

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 12:08 PM

I'd like to add my kudos to Dreamworks/Spielberg for not altering A.I. Removing the WTC towers is absolutely unnecessary. In fact, it would basically be a slap in the face to those affected by the atrocities of 9-11 to remove all references to the WTC. Revisionist history we don't need.

Lars,

If I could answer for Nate, there are many rumors about Spielberg's desire to digitally remove all of the guns from E.T., possibly replacing them with walkie-talkies or cell phones.

I don't have the links to hand, but if you do a search I'm sure you can find several threads related to the topic here.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Darren Rowley

Darren Rowley

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 03:54 PM

They should never be removed from any movie that they appeared in. It's like if they "erase" it from film, they will "erase" tragedy from our minds. They towers should remain as a memorial to those that survived and died.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 04:00 PM

Was this actually even a real issue? It's seems rather odd to even consider this to me. Or is this just the media blowing things out of proportion again? Just wondering...

------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 14 2001 - 04:48 PM

"WTC to remain on AI DVD!"

As it should!

Erasing it from a movie doesn't erase it from our memories.

Brent L

------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm

plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER

MEETS PAGE and register.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users