What's new

Desperado (Super Bit) Eye and Ear Opener (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I purchased 2 Super Bit DVD's. The 5th Element and just recently Desperado. I was impressed with the 5th Element enough to convince myself to try Desperado and to me it was very much worth the investment. Clarity,detail and the power of the guns going off left my mouth wide open. The realistic sound of the spanish guitar throught the score was soothing and appropriately used. Infact, all of the score was impressive. I lost my original copy of Desperado but it was this movie that lured me into home theater when it became available on DVD way back when.
It is now easily one of my Demonstration Discs and not bad for $21.95 either.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I bought the same SuperBit titles as you and think they are terrific. Desperado looks the same as before, but the dts sound is a terrific improvement. On the other hand, The Fifth Element sound didn't seem much better, but the video is astonishing!
Pieter

Matt Bloxham

Agent
I must also agree! I think the DTS soundtrack is great! It has me wanting to try other Superbit titles to hear their DTS soundtracks
biggrin.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what?
I don't own DESPERADO. All the other
Superbit titles I own in standard form.
Obviously, Columbia isn't going to send me
copies to review as I requested.
So, I may be forced to buy a Superbit title
and I won't feel bad about it since it isn't
something I don't already own.
Desperado here I come!
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey Ron. Trust me you won't feel that you've wasted your money at all if you purchase Desperado. I assure you that after you finish watching the movie you will wonder about some of your other titles that you would like to see and hear in Super Bit format.
Desperado truely shows off the Super Bit capabilities in Audio and although some feel that the audio difference between T5E isn't that big of deal I beg to differ. To me, the Super Bit version of T5E seems to be a little more wide open and clear. Relaxed and focused without loosing the bottom end of the original and maybe even adding a little more.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

PeteG

Agent
I picked up Desperado, AF1 and T5E. Video and audio on all are wonderful, better than the originals. But IMHO it depeneds on your system how much better it is.
-Pete
------------------
DVD Profiler
[Edited last by PeteG on October 14, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

Robert George

Screenwriter
And all have DTS ES MTRX 6.1 sound tracks.
Not exactly accurate. All of the new Superbits discs have 5.1 soundtracks encoded in both Dolby Digital and DTS. Nowhere has it been reported that these are new EX/ES mixes.
This is not to say one cannot engage EX/ES processing. Obviously one can, as one can with any 5.1 track. That does not mean the soundtrack is a true EX/ES mix.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Not having seen this film yet, how "revealing" is this of Ms. Hayek's um...assets??? Or, am I confusing this one with another Hayek film that escapes me at the moment?
wink.gif

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Well, considering the... 'ahem' scene was always pretty dark, I would have to expect the superbit to be the best chance to see the... 'ahem' scene.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Re: Selma's "assets"...
In Desperado, one sees about as much of the very beautiful Ms. Hayek as an "R" rating will allow. Unfortunately, the shots are very quick and Rodriguez used a "quick-cut" style of editing in the "lovemaking" sequence. I would have preferred a long, lingering tracking shot over, well, you know.
blush.gif

[Edited last by Robert George on October 14, 2001 at 07:03 PM]

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely LOVE the new DTS track for Desperado. Man, those .45s are LOUD! By far the best track I own as far as gunshots.
~Crowe~

DarrenA

Second Unit
Desperado looks the same as before, but the dts sound is a terrific improvement. On the other hand, The Fifth Element sound didn't seem much better, but the video is astonishing!
You sure about this? I have both the new Superbit versions of TFE and Desperado as well. The Superbit Desperado is clearly superior video wise over the previous version. The new Desperado Superbit DVD uses a new HD transfer and it shows. I also think the TFE Superbit does fair a bit better than the previous version, but since it uses the same transfer it's not quite as obvious.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks