What's new

*** Official ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND DiscussionThread (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Well, the early estimates for the number of screens the film will be playing on next week have come in thanks to Box Office Mojo.

The number they presented was 1,250 screens for next week.

I have to say, for a wide release film starring Jim Carrey, this is kind of disappointing, especially after all that great marketing that has been enticing us since September of last year. Now I bet the film will have real competition next week, going up against "Taking Lives" and "Dawn of the Dead", which both have estimates of 2,500+ screens.

Hopefully the movie will make tons of money next week, and get an even wider release for the second weekend.

I've been waiting for this movie since I first saw the teaser last September. I hope my local Krikorian movie theater will be playing it next week so I can see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" at long last.

Trust me, I've been waiting for it, and it's more anticipated on my list than "Dawn of the Dead."

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
It's really amazing. Saw it yesterday afternoon and will probably see it again when it opens.

Review forthcoming on 3/19

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
I loved it as well -- just got back from a screening and am still digesting it, but I suspect unless I really have a change of heart on repeat viewings that it'll end up in my top 5 at the end of the year.

IMHO, for the first time, Kaufman's quirkiness doesn't overwhelm the characters, and there is genuine emotion at the resolution (which I didn't feel happened in BJM or ADAPTATION, for varying reasons -- though I liked and appreciated BJM and loved ADAPTATION).

I think seeing it as "fresh" as you can also helps -- I would stay away from any specific plot details, TV spots, etc.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I don't think I've anticipated a film this much since "High Fidelity," and I absolutely loved that.... I am eyeing the gigantic banner at my theater to take home, along with a set of the three teaser posters. :)

I was lucky enough to see this at my college about a week ago with a Q&A with Kaufman and Gondry. Initial impression was just completely blown away. I had no knowledge of the film going in and was just sort of stunned coming out. I think Gondry's experience with music videos really helps this film.

During the Q&A, Gondry said that they spent 11 months editing it. I don't think this film will do very well in the theaters, too far out there for most I think. Carry pulled off one of his best roles I believe, he was just great. The entire cast perfomed great together, not one really taking anything away from the others. It was a really fun screening and plus I got Gondry and Kaufman to sign a promo poster.

SarahG

Second Unit
This is one of my most anticipated movies thus far and i definately have plans to see it this weekend. i just think it looks great and am also very interested in seeing Jim Carrey play a serious role.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Brilliant film. It achieves the lovable weirdness of Kaufman's best work (BJM, Adaptation.) BUT it also has some real warmth, heart and romanticismismness.

I loved this movie.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Scott - how was Elijah? Is he to be forever a hobbit or does he have the chops to move on?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Lou,

Of course my brain screamed FRODO! when Elijah first popped onscreen, but he plays such a weird little perv that you quickly forget all about the fuzzy feet.

He and Ruffalo have some fantastic moments together.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I really need to get out and see more movies.

Oh to have Charlie Kaufman, Wes Anderson, and Spike Jonze work together.....

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm there as soon as it opens here, I wasn't a fan of Gondry and Kaufman's first collaboration, Human Nature but they appear to have a real winner here. Kaufman is probably one of the most original screenwriters at the moment and Gondry's music video's prove he has a great visual eye.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Here are some thoughts I typed up last night upon returning home:

I just got in from the theater where I watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I was looking forward to this immensely, as I read the screenplay several months ago after searching Charlie Kaufman sites looking for clues to help me decipher "Adaptation."

Yes, this is the new mind-f*k of a film from the man portrayed by Nic Cage in "Adaptation." It's also directed by Michel Gondry, an amazing visual stylist who created memorable music videos for Bjork, The White Stripes, The Chemical Brothers and more. Surprisingly, the visual tricks are restrained compared to some of Gondry's most notable clips. But what there is can be amazing. (For instance, a memory of a bookstore conversation is erased from the main character's memory, leaving the books on the shelves with blank covers and spines. Very subtle and fascinating effect.)

While the unusual structre of the film can wear on you (think "Being John Malkovich" done in a pattern like "21 Grams"), there are some emotional high points well worth waiting for. Certain moments of the film moved me almost to tears because I could completely place myself in the moment as if it were something I experienced. Perhaps I might be getting ahead of the game here, because I identified so strongly with some of the attitudes of the main character, Joel Barish (Jim Carrey). And I certainly have known (and been attracted to) types like Clementine (the lovely-in-all-hair-colors Kate Winslet). I don't know if this would resonate so much with a person who doesn't feel so close to the material. But hey, that's what making adventurous films (like this one) is all about - You may not be able to please everyone, but a select few will be enthralled by your work. That's always been the model I aspired to.

An interesting side note, the screenplay I read many moons ago contained a coda scene that is NOT part of the final film. Without giving too much away, I will just say that the tone of the piece is a bit different without the particular sequence, although the resulting film is probably better for it.

And since I can put it in spoilers here, the original ending is:
If only we could be so lucky!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from the first showing.... this film is absolutely AMAZING.

Quite a few walkouts though, including one old man who screamed "THIS IS A LOUSY MOVIE! *hrmph*" as he walked out with his old lady. Charlie Kaufman continues to amaze me with every movie he writes... and Michael Gondry has fully established himself as a great feature-length filmmaker in one shot.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks