What's new

Project "Turn that s*** down!" completed... (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, it's 99% completed, but only cause i'm a perfectionist. it still needs a few more clear coats and a touch up from a few scratches bringing it up 2 flights of stairs, but other than that, the beast is finished. total stats are; 550 liters, 49"H(without spikes) x 25"W x 40.5"D, port is 9.75"W x 31.5"L PVC pipe and has 1" beveled flairs on both ends, tuned to around 17Hz, dual AV15s wired for 4ohm, each fed 450 watts from a QSC RMX1450. i haven't weighed it, but i'm guessing 400lbs. the box is made of mostly 1" plywood. not sure exactly what kind of wood it is cause i got it for free from a friend, but the middle is solid wood with a 1/8th layer of wood on each side of it with a veneer on the outside. really expensive here in japan. box also has some MDF from a desk and a big coffee table. the front baffle is about 3" thick, the rear is close to 2" thick, with all remaining sides at 1.5" thick. probably has 4 bottles of elmers in it and around 500 brad nails. inside is lined with eggcrate foam and the bracing was sprayed with roadkill dampening spray. i also made a grill out of the 1" wood which came out quite nicely. it snaps in place with magnets which are hidden under the veneer. i'm still waiting on my spl meter to arrive, i'll post some impressions then. you can check out my pics here. When I buy new speakers in a month, i plan to do a massive rearrangement of my setup and then i'll get some better pics of the sub. something i made for moving my sub that you guys might be interested in is a small platform made out of 1" plywood, 20" x 20" covered with felt and 4 caster wheels on the bottom. if it wasn't for this little tool, i don't know what i would've done. all i do is tilt one side of the sub off the ground, slide the dolly underneath, set it down nice and slow, and that 400lbs becomes moveable. all you guys with big subs should look into making one of these as it makes moving it so easy, a one man job. cost me about $20 to make and took about 30min. anyways, let me know what you guys think and i'll try to get some measurements up soon.

eric

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
That looks excellent. It reminds me somehwat of the new Thiel SW2, just because of its size. If I had been you, I would have made the port downfiring and raised the thing off the ground enough that the port could be unrestricted.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

That is a very, very nice sub! I'm glad you were successful in your goal of breaking your neighbors' fine china. Keep up the good work. :D :D

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Holy crap Eric, and people think the Everest is big? :D I'm glad to see your project become a reality especially considering the challenges you've come across by living in Japan and sourcing some of the items necessary.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
thanks, to tell you the truth, i couldn't have done it without you guys, and the rest of HTF. and a special thanks to you kyle, who answered every question i threw at him, which was a lot. review to come, i'm waiting til tomorrow when all the neighbors are at work. i've taken about 20 days off of work to finish the sub, get some snowboarding in, and watch some movies. one of the best things about the military is 30 days paid leave a year. i had around 50 saved up so i decided to take some. wanted to go down south to tokyo and okinawa to do some sight-seeing and scuba diving, but i think the sub needs my attention for the next couple weeks.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit

that's exactly what my wife said, except she said it with anger and fire in her eyes. (evil laugh)ha ha ha ha. i then told her that if she ever wants me to get rid of it, she has to pick it up and move out of the house on her back! love is great.

eric

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Looks great and I know it sounds fantastic. It's actually quite similar to my dual AV15 alignment if you were to add the int volume of my two subs together, 525L tuned to ~16.3Hz.

A

Anthony_Gomez

does that thing have a guest room inside?!!! Looks pretty sweet! don't let the cats play on top ;)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
not a big fan of cats, but i won't let my dogs play on top. no guest room inside, but it does comes with a pool. i just woke up and am about to pop it some finding nemo, i'll post some impressions afterwards.

eric

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ho_Lee_Crap.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That's MASSIVE and beautifully exectuted as well. You did a really nice job on the cabinet. That grill looks totally professionally done. :emoji_thumbsup:

Did you use the woodshop on base to cut the pieces, or do you have a shop yourself?

I know those subs can take more than 450 watts each; do you have plans for a bigger amp?

Honestly, you have built one of the best...if not the best looking HT sub I've ever seen. Great job and good luck!!! You may want to run a strip of masking tape across each window in your house; this way, when they shatter, the glass stays in the panes. :D

TonyGricar

Agent
Wayne, when Eric said break his neighbor's china, i think he meant "break his neighbor, China.".

as for Eric's write-up, it was hard to take it seriously. i kept thinking it reminded me of the classic Sport's Illustrated April Fools joke of Sid Finch, the 168 mph flame-throwing pitcher.

now i'll let you get back to screwing with those poor Japanese Seismologists.

-tony

Eric Eash

Second Unit
thank you very much for the compliment MichaelDDD. i did use the woodshop on base, excellent selection of tools, everything you could ever need, all at $5 per 4hrs, or $1.50 an hour. i do have plans for a bigger amp in the near future, but in the next month, i'm buying a onix rocket package, after that a new dvd player and receiver, then a new diy screen for my projector, diy a/v rack, then i want to upgrade to a higher end projector, maybe CRT, then who knows, all i know right now is unless i get a bigger house, i won't need anymore power for awhile. current room is 16' x 16' x 7' which opens into a hallway and to the dining room, and it is getting filled like a, well, it's got some overhead.

:D :D LOL!!

eric

Cam S

Screenwriter
Holy $hit, that thing is HUGE! Before I saw the pics I was thinking it was going to look very plain, but you did a wonderful job of finishing it. Job well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks