What's new

Has ABKCO lost their mind on the Stones SACDs? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm not much of a Stones fan, but with the new catalog of ABKCO hybrid Sack-Dees available for $9.99 each at http://www.towerrecords.com/promo.as...2c5a9e73b79f76 I thought I should get some.

The package from Tower.com came today. The sound quality is pretty nice, but of course I have no reference to previous editions.

But ABKCO is absolutely crazy. Nowhere on the external packaging is there any hint that these discs are hybrid SACDs. You have to open the package and read the liner notes to find this out. Why in the...heck are they being coy about these releases? If I had picked them up in a rack at a B&M store I would have put them back down and kept looking for the Sack-Dee version. :confused:

Mark All

Second Unit
It was a deliberate move on the label's part to leave off the SACD designator. They wanted the hybrid discs included in the regular CD bins in stores rather than being lost in the back of stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, etc, which seemed to be clueless as to where to put SACDs when the Stones discs first came out. Since ABKCO has sold 2 million copies of the reissues the decision doesn't seem to have hurt sales any.

Hmmm, I wish I'd bought all of mine at $9.99 each. Enjoy!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing quite a discussion of this when these first came out. If I recall, there isn't any mention of SACD anywhere on the CD or in the liner notes.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

There is definately a designator on the inside of the packaging. However, I don't think there is any designation on the outside of the packaging.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's what I'm getting at. There is absolutely nothing on the outside of the package that would even hint that there's a Sack-Dee inside. The liner notes inside do discuss the hybrid SACD nature of the disc and the disk itself is marked DSD.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
You should be thankful it doesn't say SACD on the outside otherwise Tower would probably mark it up to $30 a disc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

:laugh: Actually that's DVDA pricing Larry. :D

Also be thankful there was no mention of Super Audio. It kept from confusing retailers about where to put the disc in the bins and likely gave rise to the also superb Dylan series.

And by selling 2 million units gave an extra boost to Super Audio. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
And the electronics companies want to know why I don't buy a SACD/DVDA player? Because when I go to the store I can't find the product!

Please do not mistake marketing fuck-up for genius.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dennis, I'm one of Sack-Dee's biggest suppourters and harshest critic all rolled up into one. I quess that makes me a hybrid personality.:)

Craig Oberg

Agent
According to Acoustic Sounds, the ABKCO discs
will no longer be manufactured and are officially
out of print.

I don't know if it's true or not, but judging by their
highly inflated prices it's obvious they're waiting for
the stock everywhere else in the world to go away.

Luckily, J&R has a bunch of the discs on sale for
$7.99, limit 2 per customer.

The news was enough to knock me off the fence.

Craig

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Yep, they're going out of print.

They've been reissued on CD (like the Dylan releases), so they obviously have no need to keep producing the hybrid SACDs.

As suspected, trying to penetrate the market by using hybrids was a failure. All it did was increase costs in creating the discs - and brought in very few people to the SACD format.

I still remember the SACD faithfull on the AA a few years backs stating that almost all releases by all labels in the future will be hybrids SACDs. :rolleyes:Not even close.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, i had Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet well before i had a hirez player and had no idea they were hybrids; i just thought they were standard remastered discs.

i suppose that they're not abcko albums, but i wish someone would re-release Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. as hirez.

Gerry P.

Auditioning
I still need four of these. Hopefully, the SKU numbers will be changed for the CD only releases.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Is this not conclusive proof that SACD is dying ? The highest profile releases in the format are going OOP.
Let's face it, outside of hard-core audiophiles, the average person could care less about musical hi-resolution. Which is very interesting in opposition to DVD, which many people bought into BECAUSE it was obviously visually and aurally superior to VHS

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
It remains to be seen how many people, outside of hard-core videophiles, will buy into HD/Blu-ray DVD.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
The one mistake that was made w/Sacd was the lack of a portable player to play the Sacd layer on....hopefully BluRay /HD-Dvd will have a portable player to play em on at some point

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Why does this surprise anyone? Very few customers knew they were getting a SACD with the cd they purchased. Why would abkco spend the extra money when no one is getting the benefit? It would cost less to just make a cd and not worry about the sacd, then the record company makes more money on each disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks