Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Has ABKCO lost their mind on the Stones SACDs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,828 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 21 2004 - 01:48 PM

I'm not much of a Stones fan, but with the new catalog of ABKCO hybrid Sack-Dees available for $9.99 each at http://www.towerreco....2c5a9e73b79f76 I thought I should get some.

The package from Tower.com came today. The sound quality is pretty nice, but of course I have no reference to previous editions.

But ABKCO is absolutely crazy. Nowhere on the external packaging is there any hint that these discs are hybrid SACDs. You have to open the package and read the liner notes to find this out. Why in the...heck are they being coy about these releases? If I had picked them up in a rack at a B&M store I would have put them back down and kept looking for the Sack-Dee version. Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark All

Mark All

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 02:07 PM

It was a deliberate move on the label's part to leave off the SACD designator. They wanted the hybrid discs included in the regular CD bins in stores rather than being lost in the back of stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, etc, which seemed to be clueless as to where to put SACDs when the Stones discs first came out. Since ABKCO has sold 2 million copies of the reissues the decision doesn't seem to have hurt sales any.

Hmmm, I wish I'd bought all of mine at $9.99 each. Enjoy!
Audio, ergo sum.

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 02:57 PM

I remember seeing quite a discussion of this when these first came out. If I recall, there isn't any mention of SACD anywhere on the CD or in the liner notes.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 03:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that there is an SACD and/or DSD logo on the discs.

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
If I recall, there isn't any mention of SACD anywhere on the CD or in the liner notes

There is definately a designator on the inside of the packaging. However, I don't think there is any designation on the outside of the packaging.

searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,828 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 22 2004 - 05:58 AM

That's what I'm getting at. There is absolutely nothing on the outside of the package that would even hint that there's a Sack-Dee inside. The liner notes inside do discuss the hybrid SACD nature of the disc and the disk itself is marked DSD.

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 06:01 AM

You should be thankful it doesn't say SACD on the outside otherwise Tower would probably mark it up to $30 a disc.

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
You should be thankful it doesn't say SACD on the outside otherwise Tower would probably mark it up to $30 a disc.

Posted Image Actually that's DVDA pricing Larry. Posted Image

Also be thankful there was no mention of Super Audio. It kept from confusing retailers about where to put the disc in the bins and likely gave rise to the also superb Dylan series.

And by selling 2 million units gave an extra boost to Super Audio. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,828 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 22 2004 - 07:28 AM

Well I guess I should have poked around more....

http://www.hometheat....ht=stones sacd

Ms. Bitchlist groused about the same thing back in 2002. I only got my first SACD player last summer so I wasn't following the threads.

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 07:32 AM

And the electronics companies want to know why I don't buy a SACD/DVDA player? Because when I go to the store I can't find the product!

Please do not mistake marketing fuck-up for genius.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 08:02 AM

Dennis, I'm one of Sack-Dee's biggest suppourters and harshest critic all rolled up into one. I quess that makes me a hybrid personality.Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Craig Oberg

Craig Oberg

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 01:24 AM

According to Acoustic Sounds, the ABKCO discs
will no longer be manufactured and are officially
out of print.

I don't know if it's true or not, but judging by their
highly inflated prices it's obvious they're waiting for
the stock everywhere else in the world to go away.

Luckily, J&R has a bunch of the discs on sale for
$7.99, limit 2 per customer.

The news was enough to knock me off the fence.

Craig

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 03:16 AM

Yep, they're going out of print.

They've been reissued on CD (like the Dylan releases), so they obviously have no need to keep producing the hybrid SACDs.

As suspected, trying to penetrate the market by using hybrids was a failure. All it did was increase costs in creating the discs - and brought in very few people to the SACD format.

I still remember the SACD faithfull on the AA a few years backs stating that almost all releases by all labels in the future will be hybrids SACDs. Posted Image Not even close.

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 05:17 AM

yeah, i had Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet well before i had a hirez player and had no idea they were hybrids; i just thought they were standard remastered discs.

i suppose that they're not abcko albums, but i wish someone would re-release Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St. as hirez.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Gerry P.

Gerry P.

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 10:00 AM

I still need four of these. Hopefully, the SKU numbers will be changed for the CD only releases.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Sean A

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 12:42 PM

Is this not conclusive proof that SACD is dying ? The highest profile releases in the format are going OOP.
Let's face it, outside of hard-core audiophiles, the average person could care less about musical hi-resolution. Which is very interesting in opposition to DVD, which many people bought into BECAUSE it was obviously visually and aurally superior to VHS

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
Let's face it, outside of hard-core audiophiles, the average person could care less about musical hi-resolution. Which is very interesting in opposition to DVD, which many people bought into BECAUSE it was obviously visually and aurally superior to VHS
It remains to be seen how many people, outside of hard-core videophiles, will buy into HD/Blu-ray DVD.

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 03:26 AM

The one mistake that was made w/Sacd was the lack of a portable player to play the Sacd layer on....hopefully BluRay /HD-Dvd will have a portable player to play em on at some point

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 04:19 AM

Why does this surprise anyone? Very few customers knew they were getting a SACD with the cd they purchased. Why would abkco spend the extra money when no one is getting the benefit? It would cost less to just make a cd and not worry about the sacd, then the record company makes more money on each disc.

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted August 28 2005 - 02:52 PM

Although it no longer reflects the sale pricing, I'm surprised that Tower link still pulls up the Stones discs at all . . .

-p

Forum Nav Content I Follow