What's new

Problems setting up new TV (1 Viewer)

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
I just got my Toshiba 46H83 delivered and I'm having problems with the HD cable tuner.

I connected the cable line to the tv and then connected the out screw on the tv to the HD box. I then connected the green, blue, and red cable into the corresponding places on the tv and the box. I set the video on the tv to "HD Colorstream 1" which is what I had connected the box to. The channels show up, but the normal channels are stretched to fit the widescreen. Needless to say, it doesn't look pretty.

I also tried connecting the cable line directly to the HD box, but the same result happens. There is no cable out screw on the box.

Unfortunately, when you set the video feed to "HD Colorstream" you can't change the size of the picture between normal and theaterwide.

The HD box has DVI and S-Cable outlets, so would my problem be solved if I went out and got one of those cables?

Let me know if more info is needed.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You can only get HD via Component and/or DVI....

You can and many do stay with svideo for their non HD material / channels though.

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
Ok, but I still have the problem. I'm using the component cables. The HD channels show up fine, but the non hd channels are being stretched to fit the screen and they're distorted. When using the component cables, it won't allow me to change the aspect ratio.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Some sets lock to full on detection of HD, Progressive or Component sources. If your set locks the aspect selection- see if there is a setting on the box to maintain aspect of non-hd signals (I assume the box is upconverting the standard to Highdef, and the Tv is detecting as Hidef and locking to full).

-vince

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

If you have the Motorola 5100 HD box, turn it off, then push "menu" on the front of the box. Change the "4:3 Override" to 480i or 480p. This will prevent the upconversion of non-HD channels. This way you can watch the SD channels in 480i/p through your component cables.

If you do not have the Motorola box, you may have to run the S-video connection and watch the SD channels through that.

Matt Lobacz

Auditioning
It's a Pioneer box, but I went into the settings and sure enough you could switch what kind of TV you had from standard to widescreen. Then you could choose whether you wanted it to stretch the 4:3 image or leave black bars on the side. I left it at 1080i. It works perfect now. Thanks.

Now I just have to wait for my calibration DVD, some better cables, and my Kenwood HTB505 to get here and I'll be happy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks