-

Photo
- - - - -

HELP, workaround needed internet filtering(work)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 03:30 AM

I need to know of any methods to work around internet filtering here at work Posted Image.
The proxy server method seems to have been fixed by IS.
How are they actually doing this, by blocking specific web addresses?
Is there a way to change the web address with respect to how the filter sees it?
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#2 of 6 Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 03:48 AM

Try searching for and using some of the anonymous web browsing sites. I have used that in the past to be able to do my banking. Only a few support https so I had to try quite a few before I got what I needed.

Good Luck
Dan
Current Home System.
Dead Infocus LP350, Pioneer 525 dvd, XBOX, Pronto, Denon AVR 3300, Energy C8's
Energy AC300 (center), Bose AM5 surround, All of which sits in the basement unused until i replace the projector.

#3 of 6 KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 02:17 PM

Some IT departments also forget to block the IP address of a particular website and just block the URL. Now you want to be careful. The IT department can see what you are browsing without Blocking the site and could use it against you.

KyleS

#4 of 6 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 02:53 PM

Forget that there are obviously reasons why they felt that filtering had to be implemented on equipment that happens to be owned by the company. Posted Image The fact that you're looking to get around their configuration seems to support their position that Internet filtering is necessary.

Most IT staff will be understanding and unblock a job-related site as long as you can provide justification as to why you need access. If its for your own personal perusal, however, don't expect them to budge. You should be doing that at home.

(Oh, and don't bother telling me how rude or inconsiderate I am for saying that. I've been a UNIX/NT network administrator for almost 10 years and have implemented filtering for everything from liability protection to flagrant employee abuse. In fact, I've had to install filters because of potential liability lawsuits. The vast majority of companies don't block access just for the sake of blocking access.)

Quote:
The IT department can see what you are browsing without Blocking the site and could use it against you.
And more likely than not, they will. All major filtering packages keep track of every source and destination connection that goes out to the Internet, regardless of the IP address or host name. This data can then be available in nice, graphical reports that tell exactly where a person went at any given day or time. They can even categorize the types of sites that were granted access and denied access.

Quote:
Some IT departments also forget to block the IP address of a particular website and just block the URL.
Most web hosting companies use virtual hosts where one IP address can belong to thousands of web sites. The web server looks at the destination URL that you typed in and routes accordingly. So going directly via IP might not work anyway.

#5 of 6 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 11:08 PM

I won't lie I use the internet at work to go to a couple
specific message forums (my boss knows we do it..) as
a steady midnight worker I think he kind of figures it's
going to happen and as long as we do our jobs efficiently
there are no complaints.

But to be honest if they flat out took it completely away
from everyone (with exception to those who do need it) I
would have absolutely no problem with that! It is THIER
equipment and THIER bandwidth I am using (and yes I am in
I.T. Also...)

We just had a guy terminated. Aparently he was getting on
the Yahoo Stock forums for our stock and he was harassing
people.. He was terminated no iff's and's or butts.. So
to anyone surfing at work I suggest you watch yourself..

You can be easily replaced..
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#6 of 6 Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted January 23 2004 - 11:20 AM

Usually secure traffic is not filtered. Find a website with a cgi proxy that supports either ssl or has url encryption. Many proxies do not have this so the webpage will still be blocked (I have had alot of experience with this). Url encryption or ssl has always done the trick. Good luck, without proxies I wouldn't be able to stay awake in class. (Toshiba E740 PDA hooked to school's internet via there 802.11b wireless network, using a proxy with url encryption, had to break the WEP with a friends laptop before I could get my PDA on the wireless network).

Forum Nav Content I Follow