What's new

Jack Benny Collection - Feb 24th (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I, too, LOVE Jack Benny, and would buy good quality sets of his best TV shows in a heartbeat (no way we'll ever see season sets, since his program ran for 20 years).

I wouldn't get your hopes up about this set, though. It's put out by Passport (and distributed by Koch), which doesn't have a sparkling reputation for these kinds of releases. Also, the price ($30 retail for five discs) tells me that this won't be a quality release (I expect the quality will be close to that of VHS).

I'd love to be wrong, though ...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Still .... at this bargain-basement price point, you sure won't be out much (even if the PQ is crappola). At least you know the shows will be good. :)

However -- IMO, this Passport selection of episodes is still not as good as what you can find in the 1994 Universal Studios VHS set of 6 videos, which includes the hilarious ep. with Peter Lorre obtaining Jack's face via plastic surgery. :)

Of course, these videos are OOP now, so they'll be hard to come by I imagine. I wish they'd re-release these onto DVD.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Even crappy transfer Jack is better than no Jack, so I'll be after these. It's a shame that his work isn't better known.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

That is the real question.

One of the funniest movies in cinematic history is still lacking a DVD release.

I'd also like to see a double bill of "George Washington Slept Here" and "The Horn Blows at Midnight".

"Horn" just ran on TCM recently. It holds up quite well. I've always been a fan of "GWSH".

Steve

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
David VP - thanks for the link!

Wow! $16 + free shipping - even if the transfers aren't that great, it is definitely worth that much! I haven't ordered from that site before, but I couldn't resist the low, low price.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
YW :)

I might just have to get it as well. :)

Brian: You might be interested in this site for more Jack Bennys. I believe some of the episodes on that site at www.shokus.com are also included on that 10-episode set you just purchased from DDD. But many are not.

Shokus uses the el-cheapo DVD-R format, and the quality is far from perfect. But, still, it's not *too* terrible.

I just noted this week that www.radiospirits.com (which carries about every Old-Time Radio show known to man) has added a new Jack Benny On Radio Boxed Set of CDs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Who has the rights to "To Be or Not to Be (1942)"? It was originally produced by United Artists, not sure who did the remake, I take it they've probably got the rights. Is the inferior remake available ? Sadly with Mel Brooks its probably more likely to get a release in R1. The 1942 one would be an obvious title for Criterion : they already have Lubitsch's other classic "Trouble In Paradise".

There are at least two editions available in continental Europe of the 1942 version one I believe in France and one in Germany. I have the German one which is produced by Kinowelt the same company that does the Laurel and Hardy German DVDs. This is fine apart from redone titles. A big SE of this though in R1 is long overdue.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Warner released it on VHS (and perhaps laserdisc), so they should also have the DVD rights.

Barrie Maxwell in his Digital Bits column confirms that Warner owns the rights.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Just a warning about Passport video. I recently purchased thir Marx Bros. 5 disc set which was full of sll sorts of rare trailers, TV specials, news clips, etc . . . Now of course I didn't expect a stellar presentation of material such as this, I just wanted to see it. The first two discs were unwatchable because the programmers had neglected to allow the cursor to highlight "play" on the screen. Not saying this will be the case with Jack Benny, just a heads up.

Oh and I have no idea why the Marx Bros. was a five disc set (except of course to look like a bargain at $19.99). It was less than 4 hours of low quality video and 1 hour of audio.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Isn't there any way to access the material through a sub-menu? Or are these things so cheap there are no menus for Chapter listings??

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

Probably, I was so pissed over the whole thing, I just returned the set to Frys.

I also figured I could probably see it on a DVD Rom, however mine is broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks