-

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol - Season 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1369 replies to this topic

#21 of 1370 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 20 2004 - 08:24 AM

"Unchained Melody" should be banned forever from the field of amateur singing. I swear, there's nothing that screams "no talent cliche" louder than someone trying to sing that song. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#22 of 1370 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 08:49 AM

Quote:
I swear, there's nothing that screams "no talent cliche" louder than someone trying to sing that song.

Unless you can sing it well.

One thing this show seems to ignore (unless I'm missing something they do in later eps) is the actual music these potential celebs would make. There are plenty of great singers out there, but few can actually come up with good material. So they're gonna give the winner a record deal- and then what? Now they're going to have to come up with music that will sell.

I think that's why the previous winners haven't achieved post-Idol success.

#23 of 1370 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 09:13 AM

"Oh dear, how do the judges sit through all those bad and bizarre auditions? And why don't people have enough self awareness to know that they can't sing well?"

I feel the showadmits these ppl on purpose for the ratings. AI is now known for the auditions more then anything else IMO. Having boring auditions they would lose viewers right away and would not stick around for the season.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#24 of 1370 OFFLINE   Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 10:21 AM

For those of you wondering what we don't see in the auditions, someone on Television Without Pity went to the auditions for S2 and kept a journal. Interesting read.

http://www.televisio....imit=all&sort=

#25 of 1370 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
I think that's why the previous winners haven't achieved post-Idol success.

I guess Clay wasn't technically a previous winner (I still debate Rueben's 'win'), but his post-Idol success has been tremendous. His debut album sales far surpassed any other previous contestant's and were the type of numbers to make the industry take notice.

Chris

#26 of 1370 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 02:20 PM

Even though Clay has had success with his album, the media has had a field day and have not let their disdain for him go unoticed.

Hopefully he'll record a new cd soon and work with his team to produce a stronger album.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#27 of 1370 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
Hopefully he'll record a new cd soon and work with his team to produce a stronger album.

I thought his CD was strong. No it wasn't cookie-cutter pop ala Kelly Clarkson, it was closer light Adult Contemporary, but it was solid for what it was. I just hope he never sells out and tries for the cookie-cutter flavor of the day pop.

Quote:
The third edition of "Idol" premiered on Monday night to 28.2 million viewers overall and a whopping 12.5 rating in the benchmark demographic of 18-to-49-year-olds, making it the biggest show of the night and the biggest debut of any series on any network this season, according to figures issued on Tuesday by Nielsen Media Research.

Monday's "Idol" now ranks as the second-highest-rated nonsports telecast so far this season in 18-to-49-year-olds behind a Jan. 15 episode of NBC's "Friends," while just two episodes of the CBS hit series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" have drawn more in total viewers, Fox said.

Chris

#28 of 1370 OFFLINE   Michael Patrick

Michael Patrick

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 02:59 PM

I found the judges to be a little more open with their collective disdain for "bad" singers. Openly laughing and saying almost anything they want to them. I hope they dont go too far. Too many of the reality shows go for the jugular and show people always being mean or nasty to each other. I laugh but still think of the fact that some contestants are serious and not there for the thrill or joke of it. Reuben was my favorite all along last year,his polished performance and smooth voice was a joy to hear.Ive heard his new CD and its good.We are spoiled for having three finalists last year that were head and shoulders better than season 1's top two.

#29 of 1370 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 07:54 PM

Maybe it's just me, but even after tonight's episode, I still think the Army girl that got rejected has sounded the best for season 3 so far. Not that she was great or anything, but I still can't believe they did not let her pass on to the 2nd round.

#30 of 1370 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 20 2004 - 10:15 PM

Quote:
I still think the Army girl that got rejected has sounded the best for season 3 so far.
I don't know if she was the best, but she certainly wasn't bad. I think I have an idea of why she didn't make it though...

Quote:
Lady: Lisa, Bart's got something you can't learn in school. Zazz!
Lisa: What is 'zazz'?
Lady: Zing! Zork! Kapowza! Call it what you want, in any language it spells mazuma in the bank!

- The Simpsons, episode 5F15, Girly Edition
I didn't see Clay's audition last year, did he look less or more attractive than her?

#31 of 1370 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 12:41 AM

"Duh-luded" Posted Image

Boy, the bit with the multi-screens (Brady Bunch-like) of people singing/butchering the same song was great.

Why don't some of these friends tell/show them how badly they suck at singing before they make fools of themselves?

Randy is a whole lot meaner this season with his derisive laughter during the auditions.

(What media backlash/disdain on Clay? Color me confused about that pronouncement.)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#32 of 1370 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 02:45 AM

Randy is a little meaner this season, isn't he?

The one "diva" whose friend kept putting her hand on the camera... I was just shaking my head. I understood her friend supporting her, but at the same time, part of me was thinking "you are no friend telling her she has talent, when she really doesn't. At all.".

Man... did "A Whole New World" get butchered by a ton of people. As Patrick said, that multi-screen thing was great. Posted Image

#33 of 1370 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
still think the Army girl that got rejected has sounded the best for season 3 so far.

I was watching last night and saw that there was one girl who I thought was good, but not necessairly great (I think she was the one who had the red dye on the hair on the sides of her head) The let her through, fair enough, but I didn't think she was any better than the army girl

Quote:
I think I have an idea of why she didn't make it though...

I can see what you are trying to say, and I hope that isn't the case. If the show was on MTV, perhaps. But, Fox seems to lean more to another side of the fence than other networks (although it does seem to come down to the judges doesn't it) There was a guy yesterday who passed the audition who afterword said he recently got back from a certain country, for what it's worth.

What a train wreck that was for the audition with the girl who tried to do "What a Feeling" although she did make some astute points about the state of recording industry.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#34 of 1370 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 05:22 PM

Ok, when Paula & Randy had the fight, and Paula & Simon both left, Randy told the girl "you're going to Hollywood" several times. What? Ok, here's my thought on that: if she DOES go, fine, I'm OK with that. But if he did that and it was just cruel for the cameras, knowing she couldn't get the votes to go, that seems like a rather classless thing to do. I have no idea if the girl advanced.

Some of the people tonight were hilarious; it amazes me how foolish these people have to be.. can they not hear themselves, or does no one ever tell them the truth?
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#35 of 1370 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 05:43 PM

Last night's episode was the most horrific and depressing episode of American Idol I have ever seen. Please, don't ever go back to Houston. I seriously think I'm going to have nightmares about this tonight.

American Idol: Horrors In Houston

#36 of 1370 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 07:24 PM

Only 13 people moving on is pretty bad. I wish he had let the girl who sang "Stormy Weather", Cassie LeBeau, sing for more than 5 seconds. She had a great voice and was probably the best audition of the night. It was kind of funny to see her face after Simon told her she was going to Hollywood so quickly.

I'm not sure what Paula was talking about when she was complaining about Yodel Girl's attitude. Maybe it was because she was sick.

Brian

#37 of 1370 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what Paula was talking about when she was complaining about Yodel Girl's attitude. Maybe it was because she was sick.

Agreed, I did not really care for her singing, but from what was shown on TV she just seemed like a slightly nervous teenage girl. I did not sense any attitude.

#38 of 1370 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 02:00 AM

I only saw the first 25 minutes, but the bit with Fookling was pretty good in terms of setup and then "non-execution" of singing talent.

#39 of 1370 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 02:28 AM

I couldn't figure out how a Harvard MBA would even bother with this, especially when they are that kind of terrible. You'd think someone could tell them.. and if she can play a piano, maybe she should worry about doing that in a band and smiling Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#40 of 1370 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 02:33 AM

Supposedly, Fookling did it as a put-on, just to see how far she'd get. Plus, some people really do just want to sing for an audience, talent be damned.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow