Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help . . . Please .... How to print list of file names in afolder

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen Cook

Stephen Cook

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 05:21 AM

Hello... First of all , I must confess that I have lurked about this wonderful forum for over a year...in fact , You all helped me make decisions that got me involved in the Home Theater Experience!!! Thank You All So Much! For my question at hand . . . I have a computer running XP Home and I run NTFS, I have two hard drives set up on it 60gb for the OS and other programs, and a 200gb for a music library. The 200gb has only one folder on it, it contains all of my music i recorded into it... ok... to the question ... how do I get the list of file names within the folder to print out ? I would like to have a list of the songs that I on there,they are all saved in the wav format, right now...just over 1060 songs and growing. Thank You All so Much for You Help...both Past and Present ! Stephen Cook

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 05:31 AM

This is something I have wished windows would do natively for a while. I know there are utilities out there to do it, and I guess you could use a dos prompt to pipe the directory contents to a printer or a text file. I'm sure someone here has a utility they could suggest... -Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   TedE

TedE

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 06:13 AM

There are a number of free utils out there for this. The best I've found is JR Directory Printer. Search for it on download.com

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John_Bonner

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 06:18 AM

I use a utility called ExpPrint. It's very easy to use. You can print file names, extensions, sizes, dates etc. I usually export the data to Excel then sort and format to my liking. Here's a link: ExpPrint
JB

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 06:29 AM

This could work

http://www.hometheat....ghlight=create

then just print out the txt file.
Kyle McKnight

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 06:33 AM

It's easy. Go to Start / Run and type "cmd". Then type "cd " to change to the directory you wish to print. Then type "dir > list.txt". This will output the directory contents to a text file, which you can then print. There are other options to the dir command; you can find them by typing "dir /?". EDIT: Just read the thread in Kyle's reply. Same as my solution.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen Cook

Stephen Cook

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 06:51 AM

Thank You All ... Great People here... I went and downloaded Jr Directory Printer... just what I wanted !!! Thanks Again !!!! Stephen

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 19 2004 - 07:58 AM

You can also try (at the command prompt) tree /f > textfile.txt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users